Laptop/Desktop Hybrid system.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
as requested by [MENTION=20614]Faun[/MENTION]
*i60.tinypic.com/2ilkiac.jpg

This is the MSI GS30 laptop/desktop setup.
Parts:
MSI GS 30 System - 1500$
Includes
Laptop
Docking Station
450W+65W PSU

*i57.tinypic.com/2n9c9ib.jpg

Gigabyte G1 GTX 980Ti - 679$
*i58.tinypic.com/2wqtkz5.jpg

Toshiba 5 TB 3.5" HDD - ~120$

2 x Samsung Evo 850 500GB in Raid 0 - 177$x2

Kingston HyperX Impact 2133Mhz 16 GB RAM - 100$
*i60.tinypic.com/28kiw5d.jpg

2xAcer G257HU 1440p monitors - 2x260$
1xDell 19" 1024p monitor- 25$

Now, let's compare the cost(1500+679)$ to a similarly powered desktop:
core i7 4790K - 339$ / core i7 4770S 311$(core i7 4870HQ(GS 30) = core i7 4770S)
X99 motherboard - 239$
16 GB DDR 3 Ram - 87$
CPU case(ATX) - 66$
550W PSU - 78$
1080p screen - 110$
Small keyboard - 20$
small mouse - 10$
Storage - 128GB x2 SSDs - 60$x2 - 120$
Speakers - 50$
Windows 10 Home - 116$
GTX 980Ti - 679$

which comes out to 1914$
My Rig - 2179$

These items are excluded in both-
2x 1440p monitors
2133Mhz RAM
5 TB HDD
1 TB Raid 0 SSD
1024 monitor

bikramjitkar

In the zone
Nice setup!

Although the desktop vs laptop comparison is a bit stretched. :lol: A 4790k + z97 mobo ($100 less than X99 which, btw, is not compatible with any of those CPUs you mentioned)+ a decent cooler(max $100) will easily overclock to 4+ GHz and run circles around a laptop CPU. Portability of gaming laptops is pretty much a joke, speaking from experience.

A nice mITX desktop setup and an ultraportable makes more sense imo.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Nice setup!

Although the desktop vs laptop comparison is a bit stretched. :lol: A 4790k + z97 mobo ($100 less than X99 which, btw, is not compatible with any of those CPUs you mentioned)+ a decent cooler(max $100) will easily overclock to 4+ GHz and run circles around a laptop CPU. Portability of gaming laptops is pretty much a joke, speaking from experience.

A nice mITX desktop setup and an ultraportable makes more sense imo.

You can't carry a mITX rig with you to class/office now can you?

bikramjitkar

In the zone

An ultraportable should suffice for class/office, unless your line of work involves some serious horsepower or hardcore gaming 24x7. The mITX rig can be easily moved around if you change homes frequently.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
An ultraportable should suffice for class/office, unless your line of work involves some serious horsepower or hardcore gaming 24x7. The mITX rig can be easily moved around if you change homes frequently.

Ultraportable+Desktop will be more expensive than this. Moreover, you can't utilize the desktop for productivity purposes without transferring over data which gets tedious. MITX rig is still bulkier than this. You can also carry this for LAN parties. You can't do that with the mITX.

- - - Updated - - -

Portability of gaming laptops is pretty much a joke, speaking from experience.

Clearly, you don't have much experience.

bikramjitkar

In the zone
Ultraportable+Desktop will be more expensive than this. Moreover, you can't utilize the desktop for productivity purposes without transferring over data which gets tedious. MITX rig is still bulkier than this. You can also carry this for LAN parties. You can't do that with the mITX.

- - - Updated - - -

Clearly, you don't have much experience.

Um, ever heard of cloud storage? And if you can't carry an mITX system with a small display, keyboard and mouse in and out of a car, you need to work out my friend. :lol:

Oh, and do tell us about your magical gaming laptop that is light as a feather and runs off battery for 6 hours a day while playing Witcher 3 at max detail.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Um, ever heard of cloud storage? And if you can't carry an mITX system with a small display, keyboard and mouse in and out of a car, you need to work out my friend. :lol:

Oh, and do tell us about your magical gaming laptop that is light as a feather and runs off battery for 6 hours a day while playing Witcher 3 at max detail.

You are either a troll or pretty damn dense.

1) No car.
2) Aorus X7 DT, Aorus X5, Razer Blade 15 come pretty close.

- - - Updated - - -

Aorus X3 and Blade 15 can do close to 30 fps maxed out Witcher 3. Other 2 can do more.

- - - Updated - - -

Cloud storage = useless if no network

bikramjitkar

In the zone
You are either a troll or pretty damn dense.

1) No car.
2) Aorus X7 DT, Aorus X5, Razer Blade 15 come pretty close.

- - - Updated - - -

Aorus X3 and Blade 15 can do close to 30 fps maxed out Witcher 3. Other 2 can do more.

Just bored at work. :p

1) Ok, I assumed since you were in the US, having access to a car wouldn't be that difficult.
2) All those machines still need to be plugged in to last more than a couple of hours doing intense work. And have zero upgradability.

Anyway, gotta get back to work now. Peace.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

That's a plus point for someone who plans to live temporarily in a place. Exactly the reason I might go for a similar setup later.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
That's a plus point for someone who plans to live temporarily in a place. Exactly the reason I might go for a similar setup later.

Just wait for Skylake laptops. They'll have Thunderbolt 3.0 which will support eGPUs. Thunderbolt 3 may bottleneck Pascal though as that is only equal to PCIe 3.0 x4 as opposed to PCIe 3.0 x16 in the MSI solution.

samyaks15

Broken In
Just wait for Skylake laptops. They'll have Thunderbolt 3.0 which will support eGPUs. Thunderbolt 3 may bottleneck Pascal though as that is only equal to PCIe 3.0 x4 as opposed to PCIe 3.0 x16 in the MSI solution.

Laptop's with desktop grade graphics might be a thing by then .

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWn6zPBWCtI&index=22&list=PLs1-UdHIwbo4ZbkD49UxEP72HY17HGGRB

btw,will you take the dock to LAN parties too ? :-D

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Laptop's with desktop grade graphics might be a thing by now then .

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWn6zPBWCtI&index=22&list=PLs1-UdHIwbo4ZbkD49UxEP72HY17HGGRB

- - - Updated - - -

Laptop's with desktop grade graphics might be a thing by now then .

This is not very heavy and only needs an extra cable for the PSU.

samyaks15

Broken In
were the 1440p screens necessary ? you could have bought a sager for ~2000$ . Less hassles ,3 years of decent performence .

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
were the 1440p screens necessary ? you could have bought a sager for ~2000$ . Less hassles ,3 years of decent performence .

Carrying a 3kg laptop to classes and exams everyday gets old real quick.

- - - Updated - - -

Every weekend , part of cs go clan . :mrgreen:

- - - Updated - - -

With pascal. mobile and desktop cards may perform the same .

Not gonna happen soon. The uncut Pascal chip(GP100) will not fit inside a laptop. Even the GTX 980 laptop edition only fits inside 17 inchers.

- - - Updated - - -

1440p screens are more for productivity purposes and less for gaming.

[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] : I just want to clear few things....

Are you using the GTX980 with the laptop, i mean is it connected to laptop & games run using the i7 (laptop one) & external GPU ?

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] : I just want to clear few things....

Are you using the GTX980 with the laptop, i mean is it connected to laptop & games run using the i7 (laptop one) & external GPU ?

980Ti. Yes, laptop CPU and laptop 2133Mhz RAM.

Top Bottom