Laptop crashing due to overheating?

Innocent Lies

Broken In
Hi, My laptop (Acer Aspire 5742G) seems to crash (shutdown unexpectedly) most likely due to overheating, when I play a video game.
Config: Intel Core i3-370M, 3GB DDR, Nvidia GeForce GT 420M.

I suspect it is either due to the GPU or the fan not working properly. It didn't used to happen earlier (have played AC2 and Arkham Asylum with it) but has now been happening with increasing frequency. It now cannot play HL2 Bioshock and other less graphic intensive games.

Any idea how I can solve this?

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
hmmm
guess what?
even i hav the same problem with the same lappie model
have you used "Speccy" to determine the temps of the CPU and GPU? Mine shutsdown when CPU temperature reaches 88 C. GPU Temps are variable sometimes 62 c -92 c
this overheating happens due to many reasons
1.too much dust has gone inside your laptop and clogged the fan etc
2.the thermal paste on your CPU or/and GPU has dried up
3. its not getting proper ventilation(assuming you use laptop on a bed etc) so you must get a cooling pad
How to fix this?
1.opening and cleaning laptop and reapplying thermal paste(if you are good at opening laptops you can do this yourself,or get someody from acer customer service to lean it or some computer repairer(in this case,MAKE SURE THAT HE CLEANS IT INFRONT OF YOU)
2.getting a good cooling pad

OP
I

Innocent Lies

Broken In
hmmm
guess what?
even i hav the same problem with the same lappie model
have you used "Speccy" to determine the temps of the CPU and GPU? Mine shutsdown when CPU temperature reaches 88 C. GPU Temps are variable sometimes 62 c -92 c
Haven't tried that, thanks.

this overheating happens due to many reasons
1.too much dust has gone inside your laptop and clogged the fan etc
2.the thermal paste on your CPU or/and GPU has dried up
3. its not getting proper ventilation(assuming you use laptop on a bed etc) so you must get a cooling pad

It's not 3 for sure. It could be dust but seeing as both will require opening the laptop would be better to try service center. Very rarely I hear an odd sound which sounds like some piece is stuck in the fan. Is there a way to check (using software) if the fan is working?

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
It could be dust but seeing as both will require opening the laptop would be better to try service center.
even if you take it to a authorised service center,computer repairer etc remeber that all the cleaning should be done IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES
i dont know about "software" to check if fan is working but fan's RPM and other info is accesible through BIOS
and it could be some piece of the fan is broken off

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
press F2 when you start your laptop when the "acer" logo appears that will take you to the BIOS menu
this is a service guide from acer for acer's technicians *files.webi.ru/uploadss/service_guide_acer_aspire_5742_series.pdf
this will give you an idea if you want to open it yourself

Top Bottom