Laptop Blues !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drizzling Blur

Devoted Metalhead \\m//
Firstly, mods, kindly let this thread be for coupla days atleast. Cos this is yet an other Help-me-i-need-to-buy-a-laptop-thread.

Budget - 60K
Features Needed for sure - WiFi Connectivity, Ease of mobility, 15+ Inch display.

Hardware Features

Preferably 1 Gb of Ram
Hdd - anything above 80Gb

Uses the Lappie will be put to

1) Hardcore documentation :p
2) Lots of music and movies.
3) Downloading, atleast around 60mb per day and could go as high as 1Gb
4) Net Surfing etc etc

Also im looking forward to use it for atleast 4 years from the date of the purchase, backward compatibilty is always ensured, but then 4 years is a long time and things could get complicated.

Guess those are what i need the laptop for, as i have already made my budget clear, kindly suggest me some laptops, i have not yet zeroed in on any particular brand or anything, so please do help me out, i know i've just made it worse cos i have not yet choosed a brand or coupla laptops for u guys to tell ur opinion, you could go easy on the Downloading thing, also im in no compulsion to exhaust my money, so please also post about what are the options that should work comfortably for me. Thank You all in advance, Please help me with this.

Crazy Kidd

In the zone
Dell XPS 1210. Its the best.

But since you want a 15" lappy i suggest you go for a customized Dell Inspiron 6400. You'll never regret buying that one.

Last edited:
OP
Drizzling Blur

Drizzling Blur

Devoted Metalhead \\m//
Dell ? Ok, *Noted*

What about issues like Heat Sink and stuff ?

Also, end of it all, like in 2-3 days will post here what i have bought and most importantly why.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Crazy Kidd

In the zone
Well I have never faced overheating issue with Dell. And now a days every lappy heats up due to advanced processor and other stuffs.

Actually I'm also buying one this month. Goto Dell India site and configure your own lappy. Its cool.

OP
Drizzling Blur

Drizzling Blur

Devoted Metalhead \\m//
Crazy Kidd said:
Well I have never faced overheating issue with Dell. And now a days every lappy heats up due to advanced processor and other stuffs.
Actually I'm also buying one this month. Goto Dell India site and configure your own lappy. Its cool.

Thank You for the advice bro, also the servicing issues ? I heard that Dell Lappies have to be bought through the site alone and none of the retailers sell them. Could you please throw some light on servicing and other aspects of after-purchase-service.

Crazy Kidd

In the zone
Yup. Have to buy from site if you want to customize your lappy.

And you'll get on site world wide warranty. And its damn good. usually it takes next business day.

OP
Drizzling Blur

Drizzling Blur

Devoted Metalhead \\m//
Also, an inbuilt Web Cam should help.

Lappies that i have shortlisted by the brouchers that i have just got home from the various Lappie selling shops in Hyderabad.

1) Compaq Presario V6218 TU
2) VGN-C 22 Pearl Black - Sony Vaio
3) ThinkPad R60 (9458AP2)

Also, is it true that for some models of Laptop if you pay extra money you will be given extra warranty. Kindly clear this point.

@hackers2005.3721 - What Lenovo model are you talking about and the search results for V6000 showed me like 50 results on the page with various models, could u please be more specific.

theexister

Broken In
Hey Drizz,

Im from Hyd too & planning on getting a laptop this month.

I had been to access2future for the new 9300 series from HP & they said it will be out end of this month.

I will be using it for a bit of CAD so I need atleast 256MB discrete video memory & 2 Gig RAM

OP
Drizzling Blur

Drizzling Blur

Devoted Metalhead \\m//
^ Hello Exister, nice meeting u here, thing is i need to buy one within the next 10 days im already missing out on work, cant really wait till the month end man, what are ur specifications ?

theexister

Broken In
I was waiting to get a price confirmation on the website for the new 9300tx series of laptops on the HP India website but today I notice it has been removed from the list of available models.

So whats the take on this...are they waiting for Santa Rosa prices before listing it with the price?!

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
Drizzling Blur said:
Dell ? Ok, *Noted*

What about issues like Heat Sink and stuff ?

Also, end of it all, like in 2-3 days will post here what i have bought and most importantly why.

Cheers.

Dell has the best after sales service. The technician will be at your doorstep in 24 hours since you've made the complaint. You need not run around here and there with your laptop. Others you need to carry the laptop to a service center. And the Dell disadvantage is there is no showroom and you cannot see one LIVE before buying. Have to place order through the website and pay via credit card or DD.

If you are still going for hp, don't go for the hp compaq series. Go for the hp pavilion series. A model similar to Dell Inspiron 6400 would be hp Pavilion dv6226. You can search for it in the Indian hp website itself and get the price in Indian rupees.

Ganeshkumar

Padawan
Ya It is not possible to see laptop b4 buying...
Yes that seems to a big disadvantage of Dell for me....

Any1 pls send me some photos of Dell Inspiron 6400 if possible...
I saw the photos in Dell site which is not satisfactory!!
Thanks...

DELL=49K n HP=59K!!!

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
Ganeshkumar said:
Ya It is not possible to see laptop b4 buying...
Yes that seems to a big disadvantage of Dell for me....

That's the catch. If you purchase it at a dealer, Dell needs to pay commission to the dealer, the dealer needs to pay rent for the showroom and electricity and bla bla bla costs. All this is saved now and hence the price advantage.

Ganeshkumar said:
Any1 pls send me some photos of Dell Inspiron 6400 if possible...
I saw the photos in Dell site which is not satisfactory!!
Thanks...

Find a photo of my laptop 6400 Dell here *tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4porq5j

Ganeshkumar said:
DELL=49K n HP=59K!!!

See the price you pay for just going and viewing the laptop at a showroom.

OP
Drizzling Blur

Drizzling Blur

Devoted Metalhead \\m//
deepakchan said:
If you are still going for hp, don't go for the hp compaq series. Go for the hp pavilion series. A model similar to Dell Inspiron 6400 would be hp Pavilion dv6226.

And im buying just that, HP Pavilion dv6226, infact im just about to go and buy it :)

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
Ganeshkumar said:
One more thing...

I think VAT is also savable... If bought frm DELL!~!!!

SO Dell = Another RS.2000 Saving!!!

Yes. I forgot to mention this. If you write a declaration and give that you are going to use it for personal use only and not for resale, you'll get it VAT free. Enjoy madi!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom