kunal grover

Cool techie
1) What is your budget? 35k

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
None

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Lots of processing power and light gaming

There are a few I shortlisted-
Asus K53SD-SX809D / 2nd Gen Ci3/ 4 GB/ 500 GB/ 2GB Graphics/ Free DOS: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Asus Notebook

Samsung NP300E5Z-S08IN 2 Gen Ci5/4GB/750GB/1GB graphics/DOS: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Samsung Notebook

HP 2000 2116TU Laptop 3rd Gen Ci5/2GB/500GB/DOS: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review HP Notebook

HP Pavilion G6-2005AX Laptop AMD A8 Quad Core/4GB/500GB/Win 7 HB/1GB Graphics: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review HP Notebook

I've heard that AMD processors are not as good as intel ones.
Also your other suggestions are welcome

ankit.kumar010203

Journeyman
Add 4 to 5K To get Good Laptop....You Should Go For Lenovo Z570...HP Pavilion G6 Series G6-1313AX Laptop is also good.....

Here is the main differences between AMD and Intel.

1. Intel processors usually have more LVL 2 cache memory in them. The cache memory is the absolute fastest memory in the computer. It resides in the CPU. The more cache memory that you have the better the performance will be for gaming/photoshop/music editing.

2. AMD's CPU clock speed is underestimated. If you see a Phenom II x4 running at 2.4 GHz, it will actually be running at 2.66 GHz. AMD was built from the x86_64 family of intel so they can't surpass the cache memory of Intel, but they can develop their own technology that will 'be better' than the Intel family.

3. AMD processor chipsets are programmed with ATI graphics cards in mind. They will fully utilize the ATI graphics cards. Intel processor chipsets are programmed with nVidia in mind.

There really is not a better overall processor. Although Intel has better LVL 2 cache. AMD has better LVL 3 cache that resides off the CPU, but has the technology to make it act like it is on the CPU.

aroraanant

Explorer
Specs wise HP 2000 2116TU looks very good,but its HP so I doubt it.
Otherwise the samsung one is the best option.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Lots of processing power and light gaming

can you explain this. if you want to set record, don't waste money on laptops. buy a descent desktop for 35k.

I've heard that AMD processors are not as good as intel ones.

if you want pure performance, AMD has a long way to cover before it catches up with Intel. If you want an all rounder AMD A8/A10 work great.

1. Intel processors usually have more LVL 2 cache memory in them. The cache memory is the absolute fastest memory in the computer. It resides in the CPU. The more cache memory that you have the better the performance will be for gaming/photoshop/music editing.

L1 cache ---> fastest
L2 cache ---> 2nd fastest
L3 cache ---> 3rd fastest

Architecture is one of the main thing. You can add 10MB L2 cache but if the processor takes lot of time to access it or to get back the value/data it was asking for, its a waste. All processors have L2 cache.

Special instructions that are to be applied only for a specific task brings extreme benefit. AES encryption in an Intel processor (that have native support for AES encryption instructions) will be done in record time that even a GPU (a parallel processor to be exact) can't do. So its not only the L2 cache. not the architecture or instructions. A combo of all.

2. AMD's CPU clock speed is underestimated. If you see a Phenom II x4 running at 2.4 GHz, it will actually be running at 2.66 GHz. AMD was built from the x86_64 family of intel so they can't surpass the cache memory of Intel, but they can develop their own technology that will 'be better' than the Intel family.

the bolded line is not making any sense. Cause its not true. When Athlon was released a 2.4Ghz Athlon can easily beat a 3Ghz Pentium4 but currently a 2.4Ghz Intel i3/i5 can beat a 3Ghz AMD FX/A8-A10.

The second part is correct and cause of that we have AMD Fusion as well as Brazos. The latter beats the hell out of Atom.

3. AMD processor chipsets are programmed with ATI graphics cards in mind. They will fully utilize the ATI graphics cards. Intel processor chipsets are programmed with nVidia in mind.

now who told you that? Yes the first part is true and there is no ATI. ATI is dead. Its all AMD now. But Intel chipsets are not designed with Nvidia GPU in mind. Those work great with both AMD & Nvidia GPU. If you are talking about the Optimus tech, AMD too has Dynamic Switching but both are in early stages.

There really is not a better overall processor. Although Intel has better LVL 2 cache. AMD has better LVL 3 cache that resides off the CPU, but has the technology to make it act like it is on the CPU.

Sorry to say but this is not true. Intel as well as AMD has L3 cache (Athlon II/APUs lack L3 cache) but Intel has L3 cache on all processors. This helps in gaming mainly. Also the latency of the L3 memory used by Intel is more than AMD so they deliver better performance even if AMD's top processor have around 6-8MB L3 cache. Couple it with Intel's superior architecture (as well as smaller manufacturing nodes), it delivers better performance but all these have their own share of problem. Heating & pricing.

And there is no off the CPU cache. How can you use an off the cpu cache memory?

OP
K

kunal grover

Cool techie
thnx @sam fr d Info nd @aroraanant i think i5 3rd gen wid hd4000 wid easily beat i5 2nd gen wid 520mx in graphics nd performance(correct me if i m wrong).
nd i have a final ques amd a8 vs i5 3rd(cmparison bw d 2 hp laptops i refrrd in original post) performance more imp than gaming

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
A8's built in graphics will easily match HD4000 and beat it in some titles. now They have even added a HD7670 GPU which will make gameplay even better.

but if you are into some sort of cpu intense app, consider the i5. its a nobrainer then.

OP
K

kunal grover

Cool techie
OK now it is final that I will buy HP 2000 2116TU
but one more ques It has just 2gb ram and I think I will get a 4 gb card and I think that it supports 1600 mhz(not sure and don't know wat can hppen due to overclocking)
Please suggest which one to go for(not too expensive)
First 2 are 1600mhz and 3rd one 1333mhz
Transcend JetRam DDR3 4 GB PC RAM (JM1600KLN-4G) | Ram | Flipkart.com

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9) | Ram | Flipkart.com

Transcend DDR3 4 GB Laptop RAM (JM1333KSN-4G) | Ram | Flipkart.com

Minion

Conversation Architect
OK now it is final that I will buy HP 2000 2116TU
but one more ques It has just 2gb ram and I think I will get a 4 gb card and I think that it supports 1600 mhz(not sure and don't know wat can hppen due to overclocking)
Please suggest which one to go for(not too expensive)
First 2 are 1600mhz and 3rd one 1333mhz
Transcend JetRam DDR3 4 GB PC RAM (JM1600KLN-4G) | Ram | Flipkart.com

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9) | Ram | Flipkart.com

Get AMD A8 from HP that is a very good laptop with very good battery life

Transcend DDR3 4 GB Laptop RAM (JM1333KSN-4G) | Ram | Flipkart.com

Get This
HP Pavilion G6-2005AX Laptop AMD A8 Quad Core/4GB/500GB/Win 7 HB/1GB Graphics
you will not regret. this laptop has 4gb memory,very good battery life(4.5hrs),runs cool, has a dedicated GPU and finally 1k cheaper than HP 2000 2116TU.

Top Bottom