laptop and electric connection with no earthing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vijitha V

Right off the assembly line
I have recently relocated my residence (India) and since then I am getting zapped from my desktop. I have been ignoring this a bit as there is nothing much I could do (no earthing at my place!). Now I am going to buy a laptop. I am worried now as the laptop is much more handy to use w.r.t physical proximity. I have been hearing that laptops are generally not harmful as the adapters take care of the voltage conversion and protection.
I have the following questions
1. Is it safe to use a laptop with an electric connection having no earthing?
2. If the answer to 1 is yes, are all laptops safe?
3. If the answer to 1 is no, what measures can I take to keep myself and the hardware safe?

6x6

Journeyman
1. Yes, laptop charger has dc to dc convertor without any direct electrical connection between input & output

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
1. No
3. Get a good electrician and get earthing. This doesnt apply to just laptop but also any electric appliance- even your water heater. This is common necessity by default and using electricity without earthing is stupid. Better do something about it, before you end up like this guy.
*timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/4357502.cms
I am not kidding, when it comes to power I am really about things related to electricity since people have a bad habit of doing pretty stupid things.

OP
V

Vijitha V

Right off the assembly line
Thanks for the posts guys.
Sorcerer- There is no question about the unsafe situation. Just that I cant do anything to fix this stuff as I don't own this place :cry:
Well I did some work yesterday and found out some interesting stuff.
I read this blog on dell site - *en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2008/01/18/41538.aspx. After reading it, I am pretty much convinced that it is safe (if not completely) to use the laptop over a no-earth electric connection. I remember using a laptop from my office with 2-pin prong and I should admit that I have felt the tingling sensation.
Ideally, since the AC adaptor converts the voltage to about 18.5V DC, I guess there is no chance to get a shock. Only if the adaptor is faulty, there may be a chance to get a shock. And more over I guess all the adaptors are double insulated adding the next level of protection.
Your thoughts, please.

amitash

Intel OCer
It is completely safe to plug in a laptop to a non-earthed AC source...desktops are a problem though...and quite a big one at that

before you end up like this guy.
*timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...ow/4357502.cms

Wow...but was it an explosion? nothing on the computer can explode as violently to kill you...the PSU may but i dont think it can char you...Maybe he got electrocuted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom