LAN suggetion needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
my friend & I want to connect our PCs over the LAN...... we both have 10/100mbps lan card....... but the distance with CAT5 cable is 20m or 25m...... should we go for it or is it too long for a CAT5 option..........

any cheap option that we can use.........

AlienTech

In the zone
You can buy a hub and that extends the distance. Also those older Enet cards which use coaxial cables which work over longer distances. But I dont think they are now available and the cables were hard to connect since they needed terminators and such to work properly.

theraven

Technomancer
and the option is ridiculously expensive for a simple p2p connection

just run a cable between the 2 of u it should be fine

babumuchhala

In the zone
if u go fr cat5 cables there is a distance limit before u need to get a switch installed. The limit is 100 meters (110 meters at the most). If the distance between u & ur friends PC is around 100 meters just go ahead and use the cat5 cables

theraven

Technomancer
yeah dude cat5
how else would u connect 2 lan cards :p
:D
there are other categories ... but for a 10/100 mbps ethernet card thats more than enuff ;)

@babu he mentioned the distance as only 25 mtrs thats y i said go for a DC

aadipa

Padawan
CAT5 can go easily upto 90 Meters and on stretch upto 110 Meters with simple 10/100 mbps LAN card.

I know coz i have laid a complete network for broadband system in my city ;)

btw do remember to use cross cable :)

indro

In the zone
All you need to do is , in case you are using a switch , and your Lan is too long , goto device manager , go to the network adaptor tab , confiure its adavanced options to make it half duplex or 10 mbps ,which is also the case in case of hubs by default ,

I know its low speed , but thats all you can do ,otherwise go for a wireless solution with lots of AP's ;)

10 mbps is more than enough for sharing internet .Gives you a real world bandwidth of 2-3 mbps .

digen

Youngling
indro said:
All you need to do is , in case you are using a switch , and your Lan is too long , goto device manager , go to the network adaptor tab , confiure its adavanced options to make it half duplex or 10 mbps ,which is also the case in case of hubs by default ,

I know its low speed , but thats all you can do ,otherwise go for a wireless solution with lots of AP's ;)

10 mbps is more than enough for sharing internet .Gives you a real world bandwidth of 2-3 mbps .
What are you trying to show off here?The original poster just asked for simple solution for a peer to peer network which ranged 25m.The solution was already been posted.
Did he ever mention there was a switch involved?Whats with wireless thing?
What crap are you talking about dude?Stop posting utter rubbish.Stick to the point will ya?

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
btw do remember to use cross cable
what is it?

& here in Kolkata my hardware vendor is asking me Rs.12/m of cable (D-link)....... is this rate justifyed?? & another thing is can we will be able to share writer or scaner.....

theraven

Technomancer
besides hubs are half duplex but switches ARE full duplex

@cheeta ... just ask ur vendor for a criss-cross cable or a Cross over cable
he'll give u one
the diff between this and a straight cable is the crimping of the wires within the connector on each side
if its same on both sides its straight if the orange and green is interchanged on the other side its a cross over
u need corss over when u are connecting 2 similar devices
nuff said

yeah uc an share writer/scanner/internet/files whatever u want
come back and post another thread or in this thread on how to if u cant figure it out !

ravekanth

Right off the assembly line
& here in Kolkata my hardware vendor is asking me Rs.12/m of

Daylight Robbery The dealer's tryin to swindle u dude... I think u'll get that for around 9.5-10 a meter... maybe less...this is the rate i got at a remote town in the North-East[/b]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom