Status
Not open for further replies.

nil_3

In the zone
In my office there are two computers with Win-XP as OS; both are connected by LAN. Just two days ago both were communicating fine. But now whenever I am going to MY NETWORK PLACES of one computer to access the other one, the other computer is shown in the VIEW WORKGROUP COMPUTERS but the individual drives of the other computer are not accessible---it says:"\\(Comp. name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server if you have access permissions. Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer". Same problem is showing on both the computers. All the drives of both the computers are properly shared. What may be the possible problem?

sakumar79

Technomancer
1. Can you ping the other computer?
2. Are there any other computers in the LAN? If yes, whats the situation with these? If not, try to get a laptop or other computer, configure it for your LAN and see if they work...
3. Are you using direct connection, switch or hub? If you use hub or switch, try a new cable with direct connection (make sure you get the right cable as different types are used for direct and switch connections)
4. Is each computer able to recognise itself on the network... ie, if your computers are named comp1 and comp2, can comp1 access \\comp1 and can comp2 access \\comp2

Arun

masterasmit

Broken In
make sure that either the ip or the workgroup has been changed.if not check the type of connectivity(full/half duplex,auto).

it seems that property of ur LAN setting has been changed.

OP
nil_3

nil_3

In the zone
Reviving this thread because I am still getting this problem.
1. Yes, I can ping the other computer.
2. There is no other computer, only these two connected by LAN card.
3. Both are recognised, shown in other's MY NETWORK PLACES.
4. Changed IP and Workgroup, same problem persists.
5. OS is WinXP(no ServicePack). There is no Firewall. Not even a third party one.

Last edited:

Apollo

"Technologic"
Staff member
Have you considered starting all over? By that, I mean creating a new network connection and defining a new workgroup.

djmykey

Let the music play.....
nil_3 said:
"\\(Comp. name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server if you have access permissions. Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer". Same problem is showing on both the computers.

You could share the folders instead of the drives coz in Win XP they are shared for administrative purposes and hence it needs admin account to access the drives. Now lets consider this u r on Comp A and u access Comp B's C:. Does it show up any logon dialog box ? If yes then what u do is logon using a admin account that is on Comp B by doing this

CompB\administrator
password

And give it a try. I'm not sure if this works but just my 2 cents. Alternatively share some folders and see if those work. Also check the share permissions on the share. DON'T CHANGE THE SHARE PERMISSIONS ON THE INDIVIDUAL DRIVES". U'll end up wit a scre*ed up machine. Try it and do tell me.

mediator

Technomancer
Man no matter how many times i say no body cares to search the forum...I surrender!
Neways here was de previous sam topic *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27442

and here's the solution
Edit regkey from hexadecimal "1" (or wateva) to "0":

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\restrict anonymous.

Njoy!

47shailesh

Security Exp
i wud suggest u to share some foders or drive on other computer ask the administrator of other computer to create a limited account for sharing purpose which u can use when ur comp ask for user name and password when u try to access remote one this coul solve ur problem

abracadabra

Journeyman
please do check that both are on the same workgroup name. you can check this by right clicking My Computer> Computer Name> Check what it say about u r Worgroup. If both are different problems could arise. please check u have enabled ip address of the same subnet. best use ip addresses are 192.168.1.1 & 192.168.1.2. Ping each other and check. Make sure dhpc is not enabled when u give a manual configuration for your ip adressing. pm if troubles persist

|_390 7()Y$

vutonium

Broken In
mediator said:
Man no matter how many times i say no body cares to search the forum...I surrender!
Neways here was de previous sam topic *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27442

and here's the solution
Edit regkey from hexadecimal "1" (or wateva) to "0":

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\restrict anonymous.

Njoy!
Hey I face the same prob. I've tried what u said. It ain't workin' man.:confused:

mediator

Technomancer
@vutonium the post linked by me is complete follow that. If u can ping from one pc to another then the solution posted by me is guaranteed to work!
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27442
Neways u shud try disabling other firewalls like zonealarms but the winXP's firewall service shud be enabled...keep that in mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom