Lan Chat & sharing software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am looking for a good LanChating soft which can be used for File-Sharing too... Ya no dedicated servers/hubs.

I am using & tested..

1. LanChat Enterprise
2. P2P Lan
3. Look@file

Ya they are good but I am sure better ones must be available...

wORm

Journeyman
I use:

Network Assistant 3.2 (Chat)
HFS 1.6 (File Sharing)

HFS is a simple http File Server, you can run it and your friends can download from a webpage generated on your IP. Very easy to use, and advanced functions like password protection etc. are also available.

OP
S

siddharth_menon

Broken In
HSF...humm have you tried WWWFILESHARE Pro ? Its better.. if you knw little HTML you can design the .css file in the program dir to personelize it with your taste...

OP
S

siddharth_menon

Broken In
Humm... real chat is based on Client & server based... rest the interface is amazing! Its real kool..

You must try BORGchat its real good!

wORm

Journeyman
siddharth_menon, I have tried all the software you mention, but I had problems with them.

BORGchat is excellent, very nice features, but it sucks too much memory, 10MB at any given time. Network Assistant only takes up 2.5MB.

WWW File Share Pro is nice, but has kind of an awkward interface. HFS 1.6 is very simple, everything can be done in a couple of clicks. As with BORGchat, WWW FileShare Pro also eats up around 10MB of RAM. HFS on the other hand takes up around 3MB of RAM.

Generally I wouldn't care about RAM but the above apps have to be run on a comp at start-up and are in the memory for the entire computing session. So I tend to prefer apps that are a little lighter on memory consumption.

OP
S

siddharth_menon

Broken In
Oops I 4got to mention my Memory/RAM 640MB :wink:

Ya even I hav tested BOGRGChat on XP SP2 its taking hardly 4-5MB!
And as for WWWShare Pro, humm.. ya the interface sU@@s but i don't care I simply edit the .inf file from the programe dir!! It give a much more advance control.

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
File Sharing::
DC++
Shareaza

Chat::
good old "net send" command line
LanTalk

DC++ is the best software for file sharing ...
it gives awsome speeds ... 4-5 MBps ( not Mbps, its actually MBps )
50% Network usage in 100Mbps LAN
you can get 700MB movie in 3 minutes flat!!!!!

OP
S

siddharth_menon

Broken In
Ya I knw about DC++ its the ideal file sharing software :wink:

But it works on a Dedicated server based.. I mean some dedicated HUBs. Once u hav all then it rocks.. Not to mention its chat feature.

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
yups ...
we ppl here used to use Shareaza
but once DC++ was introduced ... shareaza simply vanished in 3 weeks

Wildstyle

Broken In
By the way, if you are on the move and aren't on the internet, just LAN then you won't be able to download any of the tools mentioned above. If it's an emergency, you can use the built in Netmeeting client. It's ok for sending files, chatting and even some video conferencing and whiteboard functionality.

On WinXP, the client is not listed in the Programs group. Just go to Start-> Run...-> CONF (enter)

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
arey bhai, i dont think we ppl are on move quite much
your hypethetical situation is way too hypothetical, i think

anyways, netmeeting sucks
the recieving person shud have it running if u want to contact him ( which usually never occurs )
if its just chat then the dead-simple 'net send' command is THE best

if u want to send files in lan
then share it dude

dedicated softwares listed in last page are way too better than netmeeting

Wildstyle

Broken In
alib_i said:
arey bhai, i dont think we ppl are on move quite much
your hypethetical situation is way too hypothetical, i think

the recieving person shud have it running if u want to contact him ( which usually never occurs )

then share it dude

What bhai?? What is your problem?? You didn't even try to understand what I was trying to convey to the readers.

alib_i said:

NOWHERE in my post did I say that Netmeeting rules. I am not praising it or recommending it to anyone. If you care to grasp the flavour of my post, it was that IF YOU ARE IN AN EMERGENCY, and if you DON'T HAVE NET ACCESS TO DOWNLOAD A BETTER SOFTWARE, then you can still MANAGE with Netmeeting as it will serve the purpose.

alib_i said:

Well, duh? This is for when the two persons very well know they want to share files/chat so they will launch the Netmeeting client on both ends.

alib_i said:

You don't know much do you? I won't say who's hypothetical or ignorant, but if you have kept in touch with things over the past year, you know that NET SEND was exploited by thousands of spammers to send unsolicited advertising messages to millions of Windows XP desktops all over the world. This is because it relies on the Messenger service in XP (not MSN Messenger, its another chat system meant for administrators to send messages to computers across a LAN but was exploited by lamers). Such was the menace, that many people nowadays disable the Messenger service, and Microsoft has configured SP2 to disable Messenger service when it is installed. Given that the community will have to upgrade to SP2 sooner or later, you can bet that almost no one's gonna use that darned Messenger protocol. 'NET SEND' does make a lot of sense as a command and I'd love to use it myself, but you have to live with it that it's gone. ok?

A newbie might figure out how to run Netmeeting from the command prompt, but they'll take a lot more time to figure out how to get into Administrative Tools section in the control panel, and enable the Messenger service for their use. Besides, unless the user has Administrative privileges on XP, he won't even be able to change any settings in Administrative Tools!!! On the other hand, even a Guest can launch Netmeeting through the command prompt.

Therefore it's amply clear that my solution makes a helluva more sense than yours. Period.

alib_i said:
then share it dude

Once again, there is no need to use Windows file sharing considering it serves as a lee way for worms and unless someone's well patched-up and protected, the nasties will sneak in. It will expose the machine to worms, while Netmeeting won't. Nor is there any need to type cryptic commands like NET SEND (which won't work nowadays anyway.. buhahahahaha) when you can use a simple GUI-based program like Netmeeting.

alib_i said:

I never said Netmeeting was THE program to go for. Once again, read a post carefully before you question the author's credibility. I suggested a short & simple method which isn't anything fantastic but gets the job done even in worst case scenarios, including ones when you can't download those good programs mentioned here. If your computer systems are on a lot of restrictions, both administratively as well as connectivity-wise, then you can still make a headway, and in a decent manner I might add, by using Netmeeting.

And lastly, about what you said in the very beginning...

alib_i said:
your hypethetical situation is way too hypothetical

Well well! You must be kidding! I mean, you can't be serious calling all this hypothetical!! "Hypothetical" is described in the dictionary as A hypothesis is an assumption not proved by experiment or observation that is made for the sake of testing its soundness. In other words, a message expressing an opinion based on incomplete evidence

How hypothetical would you call whatever I wrote. If I was getting hypothetical, so were all the Microsoft knowledgebases, the people who developed Netmeeting, and the users who have used Netmeeting ever since 1995 in some cases. Wow, you sure are a confident guy to bundle us all into the garb of hypothesis! :)

Oh and while we are speaking of hypothesis, I think you were the one who got hypothetical here. You are not adequately informed about your facts, so you never realised NET SEND & Messenger protocol were on their way to obsolescence.

No offence, and nothing personal. Now everyone knows who was right. Peace & Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom