LAN, but no Internet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugar Candy Chick

Right off the assembly line
Hello,

Hopefully someone can assist me.
Up until recently I had a perfectly good functioning LAN & internet connection between my 2 PCs (W2K). Now I only have the LAN connection, but can no longer access the internet via LAN from the Client PC ("page cannot be displayed") !!

Present Setup:
Client & Host - W2K + IE6.0 with latest updates
NICs:3COM 3C905B-TX. Connection to internet is via USB to EUMEX (German) ISDN splitter. Internet access software is supplied by ISP (SmartSurfer).
On both LANs I'm using "Client for MS Network, File & Print Sharing, NetBui and TCP/IP".
"Enable Internet Connection Sharing" & "Enable on-demand Dialing" on the internet connection are activated.
Eumex (ISDN) settings are all "automatic".
I had static addresses on both machines with the same SubNet Mask (255.255.255.0) and on the Client I used the Default Gateway address of the Host.
IE connection for the Client is set to "LAN" and I'm using "Automatically detect settings" - nothing else is checked.
IE connection for the Host is set to ??

What works:
The Client & Host can ping their own IP addresses (192.168.0.14/192.168.0.150) and their own Names ("second"/"computer") and those of the other machine.
Pinging 127.0.0.1 and 0.0.0.0 and w3.org all work except the Client cannot ping w3.org.

What I have done to date to attempt to fix this:
I have played with all combinations of addresses including automatic assigned addresses.
Deinstalled NetBui, but this doesn't seem to have any affect - so reinstalled.
I have uninstalled the adapters and reinstalled the latest drivers (3COM Ethernet 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C905B-TX).
Re-installed IE 6.0 (+ latest updates).
Deinstalled and reinstalled Norton Antivirus & Firewall (also ensured that the other PC is included in the exemption list).
Ran Micorosoft AntiSpyware + XoftSpy + HiJackThis (posted to a forum and deleted suggested files) - found and deleted a few SpyWare bugs.
Ran IspFix to see if the problem was in the Winsock.
Changed NIC cards to see if the problem lies there - no luck.
Lastly, Completely formatted both PCs and reinstalled W2K + Ie6 SP1.

Possible Issues:
I thought the problem could be the Firewalls, but after completly formatting and reinstalling w2k + IE6, I attempted to access the net from the Client WITHOUT and firewalls without any success.
I'm not sure this is normal, but when only the Host is turned on the IP address is different to when both machines are on, i.e IP address is 0.0.0.0
Occassionally Windows Explorer crashes when a file on the other machine is opened (e.g. When I work on the Client PC and open and work on a file from the Host PC).

Event Viewer (CLient="second") tells me:
on starting the PC: "Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 00500437BFD7. The IP address being used is 169.254.236.46."
When I attempt to access the internet: "The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer COMPUTER that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{C08BC8C4-6CA0-461E-. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced. " or
"The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{C08BC8C4-6CA0-461E-8C93-20411441A18E} because a master browser was stopped." or
"The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{C08BC8C4-6CA0-461E-8C93-20411441A18E}. The backup browser is stopping."

Windows 2000 IP Configuration - CLIENT
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : second
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection :
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com Etherlink 10/100 PCI TX NIC 10/100 (3C905B-TX)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-04-37-bf-D7
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.14
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.150
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

Windows 2000 IP Configuration - HOST
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : computer
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com Etherlink 10/100 PCI TX NIC 10/100 (3C905B-TX)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-04-09-d1-f4
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.150
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
Media State. . . . . . . . . . . : CAble Disconnected
Description.......................: Eumex 504PC SE
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-30-42-ff-fd-01

PPP adapter SmartSurfer2000:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN <PPP/SLIP> Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-09-d1-f4
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx.xxx.xx.xxx
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : xxx.xxx.xx.xxx
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx.xxx.xx.xxx
xxx.xxx.xx.xxx
NetBios over Tcpip................: Disabled

Edit by Deep: I have edited the post and edited the public IPs mentioned

digen

Youngling
Hats off dude for the troubleshooting you have performed till now.Kudos I've never seen such a detailed explanation of a problem anywhere !

But you thing though you have revealed stuff which shouldnt be posted in public forums or for that matter.So i'm reporting this thread so that a Mod could edit the stuff.No offence its for your own good !

Your problem seems to become a bit clear with this info:
on starting the PC: "Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 00500437BFD7. The IP address being used is 169.254.x.x."
When I attempt to access the internet: "The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer COMPUTER that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{C08BC8C4-6CA0-461E-. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced. " or
"The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{C08BC8C4-6CA0-461E-8C93-20411441A18E} because a master browser was stopped." or
"The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{C08BC8C4-6CA0-461E-8C93-20411441A18E}. The backup browser is stopping."

169.254.x.x is the Automatic Private IP address [APIA] which a host gets if its not able to register a valid IP address.Though reading a bit now I've realised this info is for the second client.

When did this problem start? Also please check event viewer logs in the HOST pc & report back here.

EDIT:Oh btw Welcome to the forums :)

Deep

Version 2.0
Hi,
I just noticed this...

PPP adapter SmartSurfer2000:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN <PPP/SLIP> Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-09-d1-f4
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx.xxx.xx.xxx
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : xxx.xxx.xx.xxx
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx.xxx.xx.xxx
xxx.xxx.xx.xxx
NetBios over Tcpip................: Disabled

hmm do you think its correct?

Its wrong i suppose, get the correct subnet mask and it should start working :)

Deep

OP
S

Sugar Candy Chick

Right off the assembly line
Thx Deep & Digen

digen said:
EDIT:Oh btw Welcome to the forums :)

Thx again,although it is just a one time thing(till i get a another networking problem that troubles me)

Anyway

Found the answer...at last. Seems the stacks (whatever that is) wher stuffed. What I did was to uninstall the NICs, reset the IPs back to "automatically detect", removed internet access software and powered down the PC. Removed the NIC and restarted the PC.
Shut it down again, reloaded all necessary software and suddenly it worked..!

Thanks for all your help. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom