Knowledge share regarding MAC addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Actually, some cards don't allow changing their mac address in eeprom. Such cards disallow it by not providing the device driver support for changing it. Updating the lan driver in that case is a long, but, logical shot.

OP
A

Andyiz

Journeyman

geekysage said:
Chill, guys.

I think what Andyiz is trying to say is that his comp's NIC (network interface card; calling it *LAN card* is too crude IMHO) doesn't have the property to change the MAC address via the windows device manager i.e. does not allow MAC spoofing via the device manager.

Although I have personally not found any card which doesn't allow the change, some chipset manufacturer(s) might have disabled the property. AFAIK and as evident from previous posts, we can always use 3rd party apps to spoof the MAC.

Hope invisible will get andyiz point now. Andyiz, i know it's frustating when people don't understand what you are trying to say but the key is to remain calm and try to be as clear as possible.

Peace.

I had tried to convey wat u did successfuly
It took 4-5 posts to make Invisible And others understand
I think even Mahatma gandhi Would have Lost his cool
I must admit i got frustated,
this will Never be repeated
anyways tnx for conveying wat i eventually want to convey

OP
A

Andyiz

Journeyman

siriusb said:
Actually, some cards don't allow changing their mac address in eeprom. Such cards disallow it by not providing the device driver support for changing it. Updating the lan driver in that case is a long, but, logical shot.
Not recomemded( updating)

theraven

Technomancer
@sirius if the manufacture is disabling change of mac add. thru device drivers then its quite obvious that if they update there drivers they'll still be blocking it

besides the fact that for a thing like NIC's, the drivers are rarely ( or never ) updated.

at most say ur using drivers for another lan card , which again i might add doesnt work since ive tried using generic drivers for lan cards ..
just doesnt get detected.

unless there are hacked drivers ... but then again liek i said .. for somethign like NIC's no one goes thru soo much trouble .

I

invisible

theraven said:
@sirius if the manufacture is disabling change of mac add. thru device drivers then its quite obvious that if they update there drivers they'll still be blocking it

besides the fact that for a thing like NIC's, the drivers are rarely ( or never ) updated.

at most say ur using drivers for another lan card , which again i might add doesnt work since ive tried using generic drivers for lan cards ..

unless there are hacked drivers ... but then again liek i said .. for somethign like NIC's no one goes thru soo much trouble .
wtf
i have an old realtek LAN card
with the windows default drivers there is no option of changing MAC address.
With the new drivers the device mangaer allows me to change the MAC ID.
I would love to give the screeshots but just i dont have time for all this shiity.
I am able to clearly understand the problem now :evil:
@andy
what is the LAN card u r having? :evil:

OP
A

Andyiz

Journeyman

invisible said:
theraven said:

wtf
i have an old realtek LAN card
with the windows default drivers there is no option of changing MAC address.
With the new drivers the device mangaer allows me to change the MAC ID.
I would love to give the screeshots but just i dont have time for all this shiity.
I am able to clearly understand the problem now :evil:
@andy
what is the LAN card u r having? :evil:
Earlier Lancer which aided MAc address Change
Now i have Techcom which nolonger has the property of mac change
Btw I was provided the Device Driver by the manufactures
Which is still the MOST recent Driver(i checked out that)
Secondly just bcoz with new driver u had installed helped to get that Mac address Property doesnt mean that it will be the case with everybody

Also let me share the recent exp of mine regarding the foresaid topics
i has seen a motherboard of INTEL which had inbuilt Lan with it
AS usual It didnt have MAc adress change property

Now visit any intel website and just tel me whether they are providing any updates to the Lan drivers or Not
I bet They wont

y cant u understand that for security reasons That property is no longer available with any of the Lan manufactures.

I

invisible

Re: reply

Andyiz said:
Secondly just bcoz with new driver u had installed helped to get that Mac address Property doesnt mean that it will be the case with everybody

Now visit any intel website and just tel me whether they are providing any updates to the Lan drivers or Not
I bet They wont

y cant u understand that for security reasons That property is no longer available with any of the Lan manufactures.
This is horrible.wtf.wtf.wtf.wtf.
Intel doesnt make LAN cards.Thas why they dont provide support for LAN card drivers.
Their motherboards come with inbuilt other Company LAN cards like realtek etc.. U suck more than I do lol :p
and also what is the driver date of your Techcom.Tell the chip name embedded on it. :twisted:

suhasingale

Journeyman
geekysage said:
Chill, guys.

I think what Andyiz is trying to say is that his comp's NIC (network interface card; calling it *LAN card* is too crude IMHO) doesn't have the property to change the MAC address via the windows device manager i.e. does not allow MAC spoofing via the device manager.

Although I have personally not found any card which doesn't allow the change, some chipset manufacturer(s) might have disabled the property. AFAIK and as evident from previous posts, we can always use 3rd party apps to spoof the MAC.

Hope invisible will get andyiz point now. Andyiz, i know it's frustating when people don't understand what you are trying to say but the key is to remain calm and try to be as clear as possible.

Peace.

You are the gr8 in all that u could understand what andyiz wants to xplain. I have also checked the same and have found that some of the companies has disabled this feature for security reasons.

OP
A

Andyiz

Journeyman

invisible said:
Andyiz said:

I bet They wont

This is horrible.wtf.wtf.wtf.wtf.
Intel doesnt make LAN cards.Thas why they dont provide support for LAN card drivers.
Their motherboards come with inbuilt other Company LAN cards like realtek etc.. U suck more than I do lol :p
and also what is the driver date of your Techcom.Tell the chip name embedded on it. :twisted:

Same Prblm Again. Y dont u read carefully to wat i posted.
i never mentioned InTel Manfactures Lans
But if they are updates to the Lans drivers , INtel Would Take us to the Link. THis can be Any other LAn maufacturing Organisation
Just like INtel uses Soundmax OR Realtek Audio cards, If there are UPdates for the Same provided by the Orignal Manufactures, then INtel would Link us to the respective Website

THIS GUY IS A SCEPTIC NONSENSE.

Mods plz help me understand this NUT.
Using abusive language is a crime
just convey this to him( For WTF WTF WTF)

I

invisible

Andyiz said:
But if they are updates to the Lans drivers , INtel Would Take us to the Link. THis can be Any other LAn maufacturing Organisation
Just like INtel uses Soundmax OR Realtek Audio cards, If there are UPdates for the Same provided by the Orignal Manufactures, then INtel would Link us to the respective Website

Mods please ban this guy for 10 days for insulting otehr for using abusive language.I have never used any abusive apeech inspite of my anger. :lol:
Tell this nut the meaning of wtf - Will u Think First

And coming to your probem]
I had ASUS motehrboard with VIA chipset.From the ASUS site u wont get last drivers.They only give drivers which are applicable to their motherboard n tested with the motehrboard.
For example I had to update the video drivers from www.viaarena.com and also drivers like via hyperion which ASUS wont include in their site.
Hope u understood that the motherboard manufactures will only update the drivers suitable with the motherboard design.
Instead of all this nonsense why dont you post the chipset name of the TEchcom Card.This is my last post .Bye

OP
A

Andyiz

Journeyman

invisible said:
Andyiz said:

Mods please ban this guy for 10 days for insulting otehr for using abusive language.I have never used any abusive apeech inspite of my anger. :lol:
Tell this nut the meaning of wtf - Will u Think First

And coming to your probem]
I had ASUS motehrboard with VIA chipset.From the ASUS site u wont get last drivers.They only give drivers which are applicable to their motherboard n tested with the motehrboard.
For example I had to update the video drivers from www.viaarena.com and also drivers like via hyperion which ASUS wont include in their site.
Hope u understood that the motherboard manufactures will only update the drivers suitable with the motherboard design.
Instead of all this nonsense why dont you post the chipset name of the TEchcom Card.This is my last post .Bye

Wil u think first should have been WUTF and not Wtf? do u really think that all the people here would belive this? They would certainly know what u actully wanted to convey
also it seems u are guilty( using abusive lang) and that is the reason y this is ur last post? isnt it?
This guy is getting impossible?

coming to the topic

Motherboard manufactures would certianly notify if there are updates
INTEL does so
If ur motherboard didnt get u lastest drivers doesnt mean that all the motherboard manufactures will follow suit
u dumbo?
Let this be ur last post !!!! I wish

Do visit this site
*www.klcconsulting.net/smac/
Find the following line in the following visit:
SMAC is a MAC Address Modifying Utility (for spoofing MAC address) for Windows 2000, XP, and Server 2003 systems, regardless of whether the manufactures allow this option or not

Hope u understand this time.

theraven

Technomancer
HEY
easy. ..
dont make me come at all of u
theres a disucssion
it got cleared
it doesnt have to get into a heated argument ...
i WILL not lock this since i kind of like this discussion
but any more heated discussion in TIHS topic will result in a temp. ban on that id ...
i hope im clear on this ...

guys relax and discuss .. if u cant accept a fact. . LEAVE it instead of arguing over it POINTLESSLY

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Ok... So here's my explaination... MAC address spoofing depends on BOTH the NIC AND the drivers. Sometimes you can change the MAC address by updating drivers.. Sometimes you cannot change it because the hardware does not allow it! And regarding updated drivers pointed out by motherboard manufacturers... They usually dont give the details of the latest drivers, cuz as the motherboard models become older, the manufacturer does not have time to test all the latest drivers and provide links... They just adopt this attitude... "chalta hai na, so no need for driver updates..."

Hope this helps in clearing the discussion...

I

invisible

kalpik said:
Ok... So here's my explaination... MAC address spoofing depends on BOTH the NIC AND the drivers. Sometimes you can change the MAC address by updating drivers.. Sometimes you cannot change it because the hardware does not allow it! And regarding updated drivers pointed out by motherboard manufacturers... They usually dont give the details of the latest drivers, cuz as the motherboard models become older, the manufacturer does not have time to test all the latest drivers and provide links... They just adopt this attitude... "chalta hai na, so no need for driver updates..."

Hope this helps in clearing the discussion...
Very Good Article

OP
A

Andyiz

Journeyman

@Kalpik,invisible
Throughtout this topic/thread i always refered to those LAN's in which Manufactures Refrained from providing the MAC address Change property, wherin even if there are updates, if applied, wont still allow u to change MAc.

I

invisible

Andyiz said:
@Kalpik,invisible
Throughtout this topic/thread i always refered to those LAN's in which Manufactures Refrained from providing the MAC address Change property, wherin even if there are updates, if applied, wont still allow u to change MAc.
It is not in the hands of LAN manufacturers.

DO you know how MAC spoofing actually take place?

First of all Manufactures will provide a MAC ID to the LAN card hardware which cannot be changed.
MAC - Media Access Control (AKA BIA - Burned In Address)

WHen u are connected to LAN ,it is the Operating system which will send the MAC ID of LAN card to the network.MAC addresses help to identify each computer (node) on a network.

And coming to spoofing,What we actually do is, we fool the Operating System to reveal out another MAC ID rather that n the original MAC ID.

While you cannot physically change your MAC address ,through your operating system, you can "spoof" the address. (Tricking the computer into sending/ storing a fake address.)

Its the operating system which does it.You can even spoof from regedit if your Driver is not showing any option in Device MAnager.

If u are running Windows 2000/XP

1. Start the registry editor (Run - regedit)

2. Go to " HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro
l\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1
-08002BE10318}". Double click on it to expand the tree. The subkeys are 4-digit numbers,
which represent particular network adapters. You should see it starts with 0000, then 0001,
0002, 0003 and so on.

3. Find the interface you want by searching for the proper "DriverDesc" key.

4. Edit, or add, the string key "NetworkAddress" (has the data type "REG_SZ") to contain
the new MAC address.

5. Disable then re-enable the network interface that you changed (or reboot the system).

This is my final post.Bye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom