Knowledge share regarding MAC addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ Hope you understand now.. andy! If not, please read the whole topic from the first post. Even then u have some doubts, plese post back! (No hard feelings man, we are all learning here...)

Peace..

OP
A

Andyiz

Journeyman
Re: reply

invisible said:
Andyiz said:
@Kalpik,invisible
Throughtout this topic/thread i always refered to those LAN's in which Manufactures Refrained from providing the MAC address Change property, wherin even if there are updates, if applied, wont still allow u to change MAc.
It is not in the hands of LAN manufacturers.

DO you know how MAC spoofing actually take place?

First of all Manufactures will provide a MAC ID to the LAN card hardware which cannot be changed.
MAC - Media Access Control (AKA BIA - Burned In Address)

WHen u are connected to LAN ,it is the Operating system which will send the MAC ID of LAN card to the network.MAC addresses help to identify each computer (node) on a network.

And coming to spoofing,What we actually do is, we fool the Operating System to reveal out another MAC ID rather that n the original MAC ID.

While you cannot physically change your MAC address ,through your operating system, you can "spoof" the address. (Tricking the computer into sending/ storing a fake address.)

Its the operating system which does it.You can even spoof from regedit if your Driver is not showing any option in Device MAnager.

If u are running Windows 2000/XP

1. Start the registry editor (Run - regedit)

2. Go to " HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro
l\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1
-08002BE10318}". Double click on it to expand the tree. The subkeys are 4-digit numbers,
which represent particular network adapters. You should see it starts with 0000, then 0001,
0002, 0003 and so on.

3. Find the interface you want by searching for the proper "DriverDesc" key.

4. Edit, or add, the string key "NetworkAddress" (has the data type "REG_SZ") to contain
the new MAC address.

5. Disable then re-enable the network interface that you changed (or reboot the system).

This is my final post.Bye
This post should have come a long before
Not tested though
Will test and come back to u
tnx

OP
A

Andyiz

Journeyman

kalpik said:
^^ Hope you understand now.. andy! If not, please read the whole topic from the first post. Even then u have some doubts, plese post back! (No hard feelings man, we are all learning here...)

Peace..
Dats the Spirit boy

OP
A

Andyiz

Journeyman

@ invisible

Tested and its 100% working
Hats off MR invisible. U rock
My sincere apologies for the bullish things i said

Though i stil feel ur post(recent) should have come a long time back

mediator

Technomancer
Andyiz said:
Dear friends,
Did u know that mac addreses of many PC's can be changed

Visit:
*www.nthelp.com/NT6/change_mac_w2k.htm

But remember Not all LAN's hav the Mac address property.

LANCER and Tech com were the companies who provided this property earlier
This property is no longer Available with the LAN's Of Today.
Yea I have read that earlier also but it said it is used to protect the Mac address of the the PC. It is done usually on computers running version higher than Me like XP. I really cant remember where i read it!
if u really want to verify that get urself a linux copy like knoppix and verfiy that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom