Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning discussion

gameranand

Living to Play
so in the end....one who has played Skyrim and Dragon age should play it or not?

Well you see the games you mentioned above didn't got a single negative review. But this game has got mixed reviews so I can't really say whether you would like it or not. My suggestion would be to play the demo first after all demo is free right. :)

Piyush

Lanaya
*reviving*
*i.imgur.com/lnHFz.jpg
My Review so far in the game:
Story:Story is good enough to keep you glued.And most of the side quests are equally good (though half of them are "go and fetch" type, still getting high quality merchandise on the way doest seems boring.I dont wanna spoil anything, so.... :p

Graphics:The graphics are good.Don't expect too much, but the visual candy matches the game scenario.So no problems here.Also playing on high settings on low-mid end system isn't a problem.The game will remind you about WoW world.

Sound:Appropriate sound effects.Voice acting is done well.Actually its one of the games that manages to match the voice according to the speaker( read face). There may be occasions when discovering a stone set, the dialogue runs ahead of subtitles.No other issues so far.

Gameplay :Well I've clocked over 150hrs with main quests (halfway through)and completed few side quests.Not to forgot, I haven't touched the "tasks" as they are repeatable.So you can imagine the length of the game.If side quests are combined with main plot, it will easily surpass any of the Bethesda's creation.Oh yeah, 2 DLCs haven't been included in my review.So add more gameplay :D

Combat:Like every fantasy RPGs, this game also provide 3 main classes, namely Mage, Warrior and Assassin.The unique feature is that you can play as the combination of those classes which will eventually unlock even more ways of playing the game (read fighting combos and spells).I'm playing the Universalist path, i.e., the one who focus on all 3 classes and tbh, he has become almost invincible (only one NPC is stronger than me now, but I think its just a part of main plot).Also, you can change the way you play at any point of the game by resetting the skill points by NPCs known as Fate weavers .Of course, it will cost you coins, and the amount increases in succession.I've used it like 8 times and the next time it will cost me around 100k coins :mad: .

Merchandise:Hell lot of items to be found.I mean you'll be in stuck in many situation just thinking, "what to use?" There are items in color from White->Green->Blue->Purple according to rarity. Yellow is only for armors apart from other 4 color codes, that come into sets and will give you set bonus, and tbh they aren't so easy to find and will generate randomly when the game initializes for the first time (leaving some exceptions).
Also you can create your own weapons, armors and Gems(like enchanting in Dragon Age Origins and TESV:Skyrim).Potions can be created by Alchemy skill.

Treasures:Whats in a game which offers no treasures and secret places?KOAR is heavily blessed with this stuff.You can find hidden treasures in tree logs, pile of rocks, pile of loot, stashes, boxes, etc...They are all hidden from you.You can "see" them in your mini map if you have decent "Detect Hidden" skill.Lockipicking is common but new type of locks are added in KOAR and are unlocked with "De-spelling" skill (they put curse on you if you fail to De-spell ) .I always use F5 before De-spelling ;)

Abilities:Tons of 'em!!!You'll not get bored .Each class offers powerful abilities, making you feel secure even if you are focusing on 1 play style.I try to use each and every ability and spell to make game looks fresh as ever. Some of the abilities are so cool, for example, Harpoon will catch an enemy and will drag it towards you.It can do reverse effects if the enemy is large and heavy :lol: Lunge is also cool thing to perform, it'll make the player dash into an enemy , making us to go behind him and SMASH :D Tons of like these more.I haven't unlocked even half of them.

Issues:Only 1 bug encountered so far and it was fixed on quick load. Camera looks creepy in the beginning but you'll get used to it after a couple of hours.No glitches so far.Performance issues for some cards are solved in 1.0.2 version IIRC.

Enough of reviewing. OK my stats so far:

Level- 35
Fate Card- Polymath (universalist path)
Fav Longsword- Dragon Fang
Fav Greatsword- Life drinker (funny art) and Kellerac's Sword (against Tuatha)
Fav Hammer- Ward of the North
Fav Faeblades- The Dove Wings (beautiful yet deadly)
Fav Daggers- Heart pins
Fav Staff- The Aasha's song
Fav Chakrams- Solice
Fav Longbow- The Sin
Fav Spectre- none so far
Fav Amulet- The Thresh Seal
Fav Rings- Gladiator ring and Hero's Signet
Fav Destructive spell- Meteors
Fav non-destructive spell- Harpoon

Last edited:

sameer.pur

The Chosen One
Completed a few days back. Finished all side-quests, faction quests and some of the repetitive tasks as well, (No DLCs included). Clocked 92 hours. (Mentioned on save files. :D)

Two major boss fights are there. I was level 40 and maxed out before I finished the main quest.

gameranand

Living to Play
^^ Looks like you rushed the game as Piyush is halfway through and already at 150 hrs. Or may be you have a different kind of play style. :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Playing this game for last two months - more than 1 hour each day - will post my level/gameplay and other details later.

Krystie

Broken In
Didn't really like this game to be honest :(

It started out development as a middle-grade mmorpg and they switched gears to a single player RPG.

Although the game does bring interesting combat mechanics :

1) It lacks the polish of most AAA games

2) It lacks the difficulty balancing and tuning; challenge and gameplay of solid action RPGs like Diablo 3, dark souls or deus ex human revolution.

Although the combat design in this game is vastly superior to Skyrim (which is completely carried by the fact that it's a hiking sim in a beautiful world), the gameplay is so incredibly easy that it really gets stale fast.

The quest design is very mmo-ey, so expect vanilla WoW or even EQ level quest design.

Similarly it lacks the bells and whistles and production values we've come to expect from a single player experience.

They really went wrong somewhere and the company that made this game is dying because of it.

Piyush

Lanaya
lacks the polish of an AAA title... TRUE

difficulty balancing... you mean respawning of enemies according to the level of the_fateless_one ? If so, then I also felt the same

still the main plot is good enough to make you finish the game

Krystie

Broken In
difficulty balancing... you mean respawning of enemies according to the level of the_fateless_one ? If so, then I also felt the same

By difficulty balancing I mean tuning of abilities, player health, enemy health and their defenses and the overall difficulty of the game. In turn this makes a game less casual, more hardcore, and most importantly comfortably challenging but not frustrating.

Games like SC2, D3, Rayman Origins, Binding of Isaac, Deus Ex HR have "good" difficulty balancing and related quotients.

Something like Skyrim, Amalur and most casual games have terrible difficulty balancing. Typically that means the games are too easy and when there is any difficulty it's just enemy health bloat (fake difficulty).

masterkd

Padawan
In this game sorcery is the most powerful..club it with few might skills later in the game and you are invincible!!

Piyush

Lanaya
@TPG
since you are Warlock, you are already using 2 classes combo: here Finesse and Sorcery
just do a fate-weaving if you want to rebuild your character and try new builds
I guess you already know that the destiny cards are unlocked on the basis of the points you spend on 3 classes
try 3 class build one time at least
or at least read the destiny card abilities present under 3 classes combinations

Top Bottom