Kill a process in win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
How can I kill a process in win xp without using any 3rd party software? Say Norton Antivirus 2006 files cannot b closed using task manager. It returns a message saying access is denied inspite of NAV being disabled

agnels

Live The Dream!
If it can't be disabled using taskmanager then try to stop it in services (services.msc).Also try changing start up type to manual. Actually what is the priority of the process you want to kill since i am not using Norton.

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
NAV also has a lot of background processes runnin so connot be killed

make sure u disable all of them in its menu first and then try killin them

Kniwor

Learner
there is a little command alled process , download it and run the commant to get the pid,
then use kill to kill using the pid, just as we do in linux,

or disable NAV at startup using msconfig.... and do tour job, then enable it later...

OP
Akshay

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
nav was just for example. There are other processes which return the same error. I want something similar to kill command in linux. For nav even if it is disabled, d background process of nav keep running which hog resources. Services.msc failed to stop nav background processes

Kniwor

Learner
Akshay said:
nav was just for example. There are other processes which return the same error. I want something similar to kill command in linux. For nav even if it is disabled, d background process of nav keep running which hog resources. Services.msc failed to stop nav background processes

did u read my post above

PainKiller

thug for life...2pac
i have stoped using NAV bcos it runs a lot of crap. i use Avast home edition. its absolutely free. and performace is pretty decent. give it a try

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
Akshay said:
How can I kill a process in win xp without using any 3rd party software? Say Norton Antivirus 2006 files cannot b closed using task manager. It returns a message saying access is denied inspite of NAV being disabled

Try this ...
Use "tasklist" command to get the list of processes and their respective Process IDs (PID)
Use "taskkill" command to kill the process using the PID
( Usage ex. :: "taskkill /PID 1234 /PID 2345" )

Alternatively you can use the name of exe file to terminate the process
ex :: "taskkill /IM notepad.exe"

Use "/F" option to force the kill
ex :: "taskkill /F /IM notepad.exe"

or download "process" as Kniwor said.
Kniwor said:
there is a little command alled process , download it and run the commant to get the pid,
then use kill to kill using the pid, just as we do in linux,
Small corrections ...
It's taskkill .. not kill
and if somebody has process.exe then why wouldn't they use process command itself to kill required process ?
Get Process.exe: *www.beyondlogic.org/solutions/processutil/processutil.htm

More reading: *www.robvanderwoude.com/index.html (more killing options)

-----
alibi

shaunak

Tux Fan
PainKiller said:
i have stoped using NAV bcos it runs a lot of ****. i use Avast home edition. its absolutely free. and performace is pretty decent. give it a try
me too me too
norton acts like one of those evil robots is si fi movies! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom