KGB archiever test done by me

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

titun

I know more than one thread has been dediacted for the power of KGB Archiever. I heard that a 1.5 GB file can be compressed so that it can fit in a floppy. So I did my experiment, here are the results :-

Original file - Click ( the movie).mpg - size 769 MB
comprerssed using KGB in maximum level
after compression - size 64 KB

my stastics -
time took for compression - approx 4 hrs
RAM - 760 MB
increased page file size to 2048 MB
I observed 1.6 to 1.7 GB of page file was being used. I ended all background services, including explorer.exe.

Decompression -
took 15 straight hours, strange for me. But the movie cannot be played after decompression, why so ??

Anyone having sufficient willingness/energy/RAM can take the compressed file from me to decompress so that we can check why it took so long to decompress and will the file be playable on ur machine.

P.S - I don't intend to spread piracy kinda thing by offering that file, I know d rules, just 4 experiment.
Please guys share here if u have any practical KGB comprerssion/decompression experience on ur own.

TechGuru#1

In the zone
The Software is of No Real Practical use!
Still the Best, use Winrar with max compression for ur regular compression!

blackpearl

The Devil
That the movie can't be played after decompression shows that KGB committed some blunder either during compression or decompression or both.
No practical use as Techguru said.

OP
T

titun

No practical use :( . I was happy like a kid to see the compression ratio. How wonderful it would have been if a 40 GB hdd could be compressed to 4/5 MB.

Ok as u guys said, will have to be content with good old WinZip/WinRARs :)

outlaw

De@d
BUT still PROOF OF CONCEPT
now we know its actually possible to compress @ such ratios ; some day it will be developed properly

a_medico

Chillum Baba
titun said:
Original file - Click ( the movie).mpg - size 769 MB
comprerssed using KGB in maximum level
after compression - size 64 KB

Please guys share here if u have any practical KGB comprerssion/decompression experience on ur own.

The official website says mpg compression is just 10% ... so the file size is just 90% of the original.

Link:-

*kgbarchiver.sourceforge.net/en/tests.php

OP
T

titun

a_medico said:
The official website says mpg compression is just 10% ... so the file size is just 90% of the original.

What ever the site says, it really compressed that 769 MB .mpg file to 64 KB, so statistics don't always rule.

kenshin1988 said:
Yup....its gud only for installation files and text......multimedia files are a no no.

I did not understand ? Please explain. Why multimedia files are a no...no, can't u see the compression ratio ? Do u need more ?

Some day this format might rule when available CPU capability and RAM will be higher among common users, and the software only needs to decompress the files successfully.

shaunak

Tux Fan
As a rule text is more compressable than multimedia.

Multimedia files [Raster or scalar pictures and videos] loose quality when compressed.

To see how this works pick any of JEPG image in photo shop and save it as "lowest quality" Jepg. Then tell me is if you see a angel or a devil in the picture!

This also happens to sound clips; open your favorite song in audacity [get it from sourceforge.net] and then save it as a "mono" "8bit" file. Then play it. You will see a marked difference [some times you can't differentiate b/w himesh r. and kishore k. ! ;) ]

Non scalar multimedia, ie vector graphics, where entire pictures are stored maths equations don't face such quality loss though. [they ''neway occupy minimal space] eg Inkscape/ flash files files. or vista icons.

Simply put:
Just as an example say you have a number 18570000000000000000000000. You can very easily replace this with 1.857X10^25 [one point eight five seven into ten raised to eighteen :p]. The original number had 25 digits but the finished number has only 10 "characters". Bigger nos more savings! You can even come up with your own code to save even more space!
eg: 100000000000000000000000 can be stored as 10.22. [here the number before the dots shows the repeated number and the number between the dots shows the number of times its repeated.] End result instead of 24 chars you have only 6.
Unfortunately this cant be done to your multimedia content.

Last edited:
OP
T

titun

shaunak said:
As a rule text is more compressable than multimedia.

Multimedia files [scalar pictures and videos] loose quality when compressed.

To see how this works pick any of JEPG image in photoshop and save it as "lowest quality" Jepg. Then tell me is if you see a angel or a devil in the picture!

This also happens to sound clips; open your favorite song in audacity [get it from sourceforge.net] and then save it as a "mono" "8bit" file. Then play it. You will see a marked difference [some times you can't differentiate b/w himesh r. and kishore k. ! ;) ]

Non scalar multimedia, ie vector graphics, where entire pictures are stored maths equations dont face such quality loss though. [they 'neway occupy minimal space] eg Inkscape/ flash files files. or vista icons.

Now that is the tech answer I was asking for. I understand now, thts why the file becomes unusable. Thanks shaunak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom