Kernel Panic Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustam_singh

Broken In
Hello Peeeps... am having this weird problem with every linux distro that i try to tinstall on my pc... My pc's configuration is:
Cpu Intel Pentium4 1.8 GHZ(Socket 478 NON-HT)
512 Mb Ram(266Mhz FSB)
845 Intel Chipset Mobo
8x Agp Slot
XFX Fx5200 256MB GFX Card
2x80GB samsung HDD's (Total 160GB)
2xIDE Drives

now whenver i try to install any NEW linux distro with the agp card plugged in at the hardware initialization step of the installation i get this:
[<c0311443>]syscall_call+0x7|0xb
code:d8 35 c0 5b 89 d0......
<39>70 04 76 0c 89 .....
<0> Fatal Exception:panic in 5 seconds
Kernel Panic-not syncing:
Fatal exception
and the system hangs up with the scroll lock and the caps lock led's on the keyboard blinking...
I have tried to install the following distro's but alll in vain:
Cent os 4
RHEL
Fedora Core
Ubuntu(Freezes up when intializing the hot plug Manager)

the installation is successfull (i.e. the distro installs perfect) if i take out the agp card physically from the system and use the onboard display... Even after install if plug the card back and try to boot the distro the poblem shows it's ugly face again...
Now here is the really tricky part RED HAT 9 installs and works perfect even with the card plugged in... :(
pls help me....
Thanks in Advance....

mediator

Technomancer
Hmmm...It seems ur agp card is very new! Kernel panic as far as i remember happens due to unsupported or incompatible hardware! So u must try the latest distributions i.e fedora 5 or suse 10.1 etc.

Satissh S

Youngling
Nope.. is your motherboard.. ASROCK AGI board?? Theres is a AGI proprietary asrock technology which causes bugs with kernel 2.6.* see BUG #5807 at kernel.org website.

Now, heres a work around when ubuntu boots first time when it says
"starting hotplug subsystem" quickly press [control]+C and it will skip that part, to continue loading.
when its booted up, after logging in issue
Code:
$ sudo mv /etc/init.d/hotplug /etc/init.d/hotplug-masked
we're just renaming the hotplug file so that it doesn't get causing hangs at boot up. How ever the catch is you (probably.. not sure) wont get sound working. Its a problem with the kernel 2.6.* series.

OP
R

rustam_singh

Broken In
Satissh s thank you very much for the ubuntu workaround.... mine is a digi giga DXP-P4533IM mothrbaord.... Sir how to solve the same problem under red hat linux ?
Thanks in advance sir....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom