Kejriwal Government in Delhi for Free Software; Meets Richard Stallman

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
The Delhi Government is set to choose free software over proprietary software, especially in the education sector.

On Tuesday, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal met free software proponent Richard Stallman and Joseph C Mathew, the former IT advisor to Kerala government which adopted free software in all government establishments, said a television report.

The idea is to implement free software in the educational institutions in the first phase. For companies like Microsoft which focus heavily on educational institutions, this could be a setback. Microsoft has done deals with the AICTE & other schools to implement its software suite free of cost in educational institutions.

Stallman also met Education Minister Manish Sisodia, the report said. “It’s the general idea that the state and especially schools should move to free software,” Stallman told Television channel Mathrubhumi.

Mathew said that their political think tank has agreed in principle to using free software. The areas in which it will be used is yet to be finalised, said Mathew.

Earlier this week, the newly formed Aam Aadmi Party government banned foreign direct investment in retail. Kejriwal had said the he will not allow monopolies in retail industry.

Source : Kejriwal Government in Delhi for Free Software; Meets Richard Stallman

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Its indeed commendable.
But I have a hunch that Kapil Sibbal must have agreed on allowing free software cause he think its "Free" as in "free beer". I don't think he's aware of the advantages of "Open Source" softwares.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Of course. I think open source software new to be included in school syllabi so everyone knows what it actually is all about.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
OSS is aldready part of class 12 cbse computer science(083) syllabus

but that should be in the lower classes too when children start learning about hardware and software part (class 4th - 5th I guess). they prefer some Windows OS (xp mostly) in the curriculum books. :(

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
That would be possible if kids are taught Linux before Windows.

Arent we taking it a little too far. Already kids are bombarded with things that they seldom care or even have to learn about in thier age. They are treated like race horses both my the academics and the parents and many of them start their IT foundation in class 4 or 5?? why do we have to spoil more of their tender age?? Did we all start learning OS when we were kids?

Do the current kids enjoy the free time as what so many of us did?

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I learned DOS when I was 7 years old, BASIC programming when I was 9. I say its never too early for anything.

Last edited:

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
but that should be in the lower classes too when children start learning about hardware and software part (class 4th - 5th I guess). they prefer some Windows OS (xp mostly) in the curriculum books. :(
+1, for this.
It's well known fact that schools are paid by M$ ....,so they(Schools) want to impose Windows OS environment to the children.

That would be possible if kids are taught Linux before Windows.
This has to be done and made mandatory.Some states,particularly,Kerala is ahead regarding FOSS in education than the rest of the country.

I learned DOS when I was 7 years old, BASIC programming when I was 9. I say its never too early for anything.
It's an exception Desmond,my Friend.Not everybody at such an age has passion and eagerness to learn,what you learnt. Hence you are an expert amongst your peers(from that time).
But imposition in syallabus/curriculum has other effects....

ash63425

Broken In
Its a good move for sure to save the government funds and break the dominance of Microsoft where its possible easily. +1 to Kejriwal

Top Bottom