Jio Fiber or Airtel Xtream or any other?

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Can we opt for our own router, so we can use their fiber cable only.
Never in case of JIO, AIRTEL, TATASKY, etc...big players(Organizations) in the market.They will always provide their own router(Wi-Fi) ONT based along with the package.

You could choose your own router, in case of ALLIANCE, WISHNET, MEGHBELA, GTPL-KCBPL ...etc. small private players(example as present in Kolkata)providers simply speaking the (Cable) ISP providers, like that of ACT, HATHAWAY, and others.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Never in case of JIO, AIRTEL, TATASKY, etc...big players(Organizations) in the market.They will always provide their own router(Wi-Fi) ONT based along with the package.

You could choose your own router, in case of ALLIANCE, WISHNET, MEGHBELA, GTPL-KCBPL ...etc. small private players(example as present in Kolkata)providers simply speaking the (Cable) ISP providers, like that of ACT, HATHAWAY, and others.
I had good service with Airtel in Chennai except their speeds. They were also quick(1-2 days) in resolving issues be it related to change of modem/router change or no service. You tell them that you want to disconnect broadband and instant refund of your security deposit, may be that should open their eyes. Their sales/marketting team begs really hard not to disconnect. If things are not moving then open a case on consumer forum, take screenshot and send it to their email id and if possible, on twitter.

kg11sgbg

I had good service with Airtel in Chennai except their speeds. They were also quick(1-2 days) in resolving issues be it related to change of modem/router change or no service. You tell them that you want to disconnect broadband and instant refund of your security deposit, may be that should open their eyes. Their sales/marketting team begs really hard not to disconnect. If things are not moving then open a case on consumer forum, take screenshot and send it to their email id and if possible, on twitter.
Actually keeping ALLIANCE Broadband aside(still functional and ACTIVE), I wanted to test the Airtel XStream Fiber Broadband with Rs.999.00 +18%GST Per month PLAN.
The promised/committed speeds are 200Mbps.

Leaving 1st day aside, issues began cropping form 2nd day onwards. They had even changed the GPON Router from ZTE to NOKIA.
I get 90~100Mbps IN LAN CONNECTION.
And not more than 60Mbps in Wi-Fi connection.

SO WHY WASTE MY MONEY HERE?????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Actually keeping ALLIANCE Broadband aside(still functional and ACTIVE), I wanted to test the Airtel XStream Fiber Broadband with Rs.999.00 +18%GST Per month PLAN.
The promised/committed speeds are 200Mbps.

Leaving 1st day aside, issues began cropping form 2nd day onwards. They had even changed the GPON Router from ZTE to NOKIA.
I get 90~100Mbps IN LAN CONNECTION.
And not more than 60Mbps in Wi-Fi connection.

SO WHY WASTE MY MONEY HERE?????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes. If they can't resolve your concerns then it's better to opt out of service.

kg11sgbg

AIRTEL IS PLEADING ME VERY MUCH TO KEEP THE NETWORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :chinscratch::listen:

kg11sgbg

What ifff you pleaddd to NOT keeppp the network and throw it insteaddd to the dusttbinn:flamethrower::stirpot:
Ultimately kept it(not succumbed!!!) but my bad.
It was an unnecessary harassment by me to Airtel, unknowingly.
Actually one of my PC-Desktop went haywire...the Gigabit Ethernet LAN interface was actually not fully functional. The Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 ,which I bought on 2013 WAS COMPLETELY OUT yesterday. First repair FREE done by Gigabyte on 2015(within Warranty Period), 2nd repair on July 2021 ,cost was Rs.800.00 by a local repair vendor.
NOW IT IS COMPLETELY OUT.
My other Desktop-PC consisting of Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 R2 motherboard gave this Speed Test result in LAN mode:--->

*www.speedtest.net/result/12023233846.png

The NOKIA Router G2425G-A is functioning the network.
Well, @whitestar_999 ; @omega44-xt ,any idea about Airtel XStream Fiber GPON Routers?
Which one is better?

NOKIA G2425G-A

Or

ZTE-ZXHN F670L

Ultimately kept it(not succumbed!!!) but my bad.
It was an unnecessary harassment by me to Airtel, unknowingly.
Actually one of my PC-Desktop went haywire...the Gigabit Ethernet LAN interface was actually not fully functional. The Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 ,which I bought on 2013 WAS COMPLETELY OUT yesterday. First repair FREE done by Gigabyte on 2015(within Warranty Period), 2nd repair on July 2021 ,cost was Rs.800.00 by a local repair vendor.
NOW IT IS COMPLETELY OUT.
My other Desktop-PC consisting of Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 R2 motherboard gave this Speed Test result in LAN mode:--->

*www.speedtest.net/result/12023233846.png

The NOKIA Router G2425G-A is functioning the network.
Well, @whitestar_999 ; @omega44-xt ,any idea about Airtel XStream Fiber GPON Routers?
Which one is better?

NOKIA G2425G-A

Or

ZTE-ZXHN F670L
Wow, lol. I mostly heard good stuff about airtel & ACT (ACT is expensive though).

No idea which is better. If the current one is giving good speed on WiFi, keep it. Otherwise, add a router to it with better WiFi.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
any idea about Airtel XStream Fiber GPON Routers?
Only have some experience with nokia & that too because of helping someone remotely but nothing much to configure as many options are locked in latest firmware version incl the most important one which an advanced user like myself will definitely use, wifi channel.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
wifi channel

Yes they have locked on with many options. Also the hi kind of lags and is buggy. The consumer version of this same router has a far better software with far better design including a app too. But because it is given by airtel, they put in there own firmware.

kg11sgbg

Absolutely correct, Friends. Airtel has locked the Nokia/ZTE routers with their own firmware.
Particularly the wifi channel lock is miserable.At least it should have been kept open.
I took my Tp-Link Archer C20 Router and bridged(enabled WDS) in the router.
Haven't tested the Wi-Fi speed yet...after this new setup.
Shall check in the evening, after returning from office.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes they have locked on with many options. Also the hi kind of lags and is buggy. The consumer version of this same router has a far better software with far better design including a app too. But because it is given by airtel, they put in there own firmware.
I recently found out you can change/fix channel by using the good old trick of webpage source code modification(used to do it back in 2011 with bsnl modems).

I took my Tp-Link Archer C20 Router and bridged(enabled WDS) in the router.
Haven't tested the Wi-Fi speed yet...after this new setup.
WDS setup won't work with airtel modem router as long as wifi channel is not fixed because airtel router changes wifi channel at every restart. See my above statement. If you need help then PM me & I will do it via anydesk.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I recently found out you can change/fix channel by using the good old trick of webpage source code modification(used to do it back in 2011 with bsnl modems).

The router is actually in warranty, otherwise it is easy to reflash the router using a bridge controller for serial to com conversion. If that becomes a possibility, we can use our own custom web UI but that warranty sticker on back bothers me.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Do Jio and Airtel allow port forwarding on their routers? I plan on seeding torrents and running my own servers on my PC.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Do Jio and Airtel allow port forwarding on their routers? I plan on seeding torrents and running my own servers on my PC.

The airtel router I have does allow port forwarding, but it seems due to some bug or so it didn't worked. I am yet to try it using secondry router.

Will port forwarding on a second router work when connected via lan to primary? @whitestar_999

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
You should worry more about CGNAT as it seems airtel & jio are shifting to it.

Will port forwarding on a second router work when connected via lan to primary? @whitestar_999
See above, if CGNAT then nothing you do matters but if not then when you connect two routers via lan/wds & where secondary router is configured as AP/extender then DHCP & NAT already disabled so secondary router has no role to play regarding port forwarding anywhere on network.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Only have some experience with nokia & that too because of helping someone remotely but nothing much to configure as many options are locked in latest firmware version incl the most important one which an advanced user like myself will definitely use, wifi channel.

I have found out a way to bypass that. It has worked for nokia 2425g router

What i am doing is, taking that backup configuration file, then decrypting it. this way that configuration can be reverse engineered. All the values are stored in a xml file including wifi password.

with that, i was able to enable telnet in the router, also i was able to change all of the greyed out settings. I had changed the channel, enabled telnet, Also there is the option to remove tr069 client, as that is what used by airtel to change the settings from there side. I was also able to enable both ipv4 and ipv6 in the wan settings, but since that needs to be configured from back, it couldnt work.

Also got some interesting information like the chip used is MTK7528 about which i am not able to find any datasheet online.

I am not mentioning the exact guideline here now, but maybe do in some time. Also, It can be very dangerous as if any wrong value is changed, there is a high probability the device may brick.

And one more thing, any idea what enabling the IPTV option does? like, airtel didnt mention about any such service for tv etc, xstream box uses dish for live tv instead of net.

D

Deleted member 345628

*geek.digit.in/community/threads/post-your-speedtest-results.138028/post-2407585

Just reminds me of @RumbaMon19 's message . Isn't ping the actual speed , I mean why aren't some people satisfied with 50Mbps , You can even watch 4k flawlessly without any buffer . I mean why do you want a separate router for those extra 20Mbps which doesnt matter anyway ....

Top Bottom