java installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

johny

Right off the assembly line
I just got jdk1.3 from a friend and installed it but all the *.java files that i create need to be in the jdk1.3\bin directory to be compiled or executed. but in my computer center and in college i can have the java files anywhere in the hard drive and execute it for eg: when i type javac in my pc in c drive it says "bad command or filename" but in my college the program is compiled no matter where it is stored. please tell me how do i enable this feature in my pc.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Your PATH environment is not set properly.... Check out the Environment Variables settings from System Properties.... your PATH should point to the bin directlry of JDK installation...

on win98 you may need to edit your autoexec.bat file instead...

on GNU/Linux, you'll have to edit your ~/.bashrc or the system wide /etc/profile file and make the PATH environment variable point to the jdk's bin directory

diab0lic666

Broken In
johny said:
I just got jdk1.3 from a friend and installed it but all the *.java files that i create need to be in the jdk1.3\bin directory to be compiled or executed. but in my computer center and in college i can have the java files anywhere in the hard drive and execute it for eg: when i type javac in my pc in c drive it says "bad command or filename" but in my college the program is compiled no matter where it is stored. please tell me how do i enable this feature in my pc.
Whats your OS? i hope in future you wud take care of this. Do mention OS u running and basic PC details b4 asking any related question.
now i assume you are running win XP (not *NIX, coz u have mentioned C drive :wink:Thank God for this much) :) ) NOw right click on My computer, goto properties and under Advance tab click Environment variables, in system variable box click PATH and click edit, now at the end on line enter ";" (without quotes) and now enter C:\jdk1.3\bin Click OK and you are done. :)

*img99.exs.cx/img99/9528/scr25iv.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom