Issues Related To DVD Movies???

Status
Not open for further replies.

go4saket

DVD Movies are link hot cake today and issues/doubts related to them are numerious. They are not as simple as VCD and doubts like re-authoring, compressing, sub-titles, menu creation, audio, format conversion etc etc etc doesn't seem to end. No dounts there are many guides available on the net but they all seem to be less as soon as you face something wrong. Its like sweet lime for the people who have indepth knowladge of the DVD structure and the same is like bitter berry for the others.

There are multiple threads running all accross this forum related to this, but responce to all of them is not that great as it gets divided. I therefore thought of starting a thread that every one can use to clear their doubt related to DVD movies and a place where most of the questions will be answered. Although this kind of a topic needs a whole sole sub-forum, but lets manage with this for the time being...

So get going...

OP
go4saket

go4saket

I am no expert in this field and have many doubts related to this subject. I am punching in a few, hoping for our forum experts to sort them out...

1. I want to backup my DVD movies in MPEG2 format (not VOB) but dont want to loose the subtitles therein. Is there a way to do the same and if yes, which software can help me to achieve this.

2. I want to compress a few movies. Which software is better in terms of final output quality - DVD Shrink or Nero Recode.

Last edited:

legolas

Padawan
umpteen number of discussions hav been made on this topic... i think so. u better make a search...

/legolas

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Hello friends!

I have a DVD movie with english subtitle. I want a software that can automatically create a subtitle file which later I can import in other DVD authoring softwares to create a new DVD. The subtitle file may either be in sub/srt/sst/son/txt format...

nil_3

In the zone
go4saket said:
1. I want to backup my DVD movies in MPEG2 format (not VOB) but dont want to loose the subtitles therein. Is there a way to do the same and if yes, which software can help me to achieve this.

There are a lot of softwares(like DVDRipper) which can rip/convert .vob to mpeg2. However subtitle should be a separate file. Also there are a lot of softwares which can rip subtitle files into .srt format. Please search by googling. If you keep the subtitle file in the same folder and same name as the mpeg2 file BSPlayer can play movie with subtitle. Minor editing in subtitle file can be done by SubCreator.

However my advice is to rip .vob file to mpeg4/DivX. It will retain quality as well as lower file-size.

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Thanks nil_3, but I would really appreciate if you can tell me the name of the software that can help me to rip the subtitle in .srt format.

nil_3

In the zone
Subtitle Ripper, SubRip etc. are to name a few. Just search/Google by "DVD Subtitle Ripper" and you will find lots of them.
Never to forget about SubCreator. It will help you to do necessary adjustments/corrections in subtitle.
Good Luck!

kjuvale

Pharmaguru
I have 7-8 dvds but when i paly them on my pc or philips dvdp642k player the sound output is very low for dialogues and for music its very loud. i am using 2.1 system for pc and normal 2 speaker of tv. is there any wy to play them with normal sound for both music and dialogues. I have seen this with many dvd rips (xvid). please tell solution , specially for the philips dvp642k player.

OP
go4saket

go4saket

kjuvale said:
I have 7-8 dvds but when i paly them on my pc or philips dvdp642k player the sound output is very low for dialogues and for music its very loud. i am using 2.1 system for pc and normal 2 speaker of tv. is there any wy to play them with normal sound for both music and dialogues. I have seen this with many dvd rips (xvid). please tell solution , specially for the philips dvp642k player.

I too face the same problem if I play the DVD's in my PC, but it runs fine with my Phylips DVD Player.

kjuvale

Pharmaguru
go4saket said:
I too face the same problem if I play the DVD's in my PC, but it runs fine with my Phylips DVD Player.

My dvds also play well on the philips dvd player but they have sound problem- music is loud while voice sound is very low .
is there any setting in the player which should be changed.

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Copying Movies from DVD has always been a lick and we keep facing different kinds of problem. There are various softwares like DVD Shrink, DVD Decryptor etc with which we can actually copy our DVD's to our HDD even if there is a copy protection lock. There are softwares like AnyDVD which are specifically developed just to break the copy protection in DVD's.

But even then we do face problems some times in copying DVD as we get errors like "Unrecovered Read Error" or " Data cannot be read" etc. This is because companies making DVD movies make their DVD in such a way that if you ever want to copy it, your DVD ROM will get stuck in a particular area of the DVD which it wont be able to read and therefore gives a data read error. As these areas are blank, you dont miss any movie when you just want to watch the movie.

To overcome this, I just discovered a very simple procedure to bypass all this problems and have success with every single DVD.

Procedure:
After inserting the DVD you want to copy, start Alcohol 120% and make an image of the DVD to you HDD. Remember to check the box with the "Ignore Read Error" option. Now after your DVD Image creation process in complete, you are free to use any software that you wish to, may that be DVD Decryptor, DVD Shrink, Nero Recode etc...

Thats it... Now feel free to compress, copy or anything that you want to do with the movie...

Note: Backing up your DVD Movies for storage is legal but distribution of a copied DVD is illegal and I am not resposible for any such thing.

nil_3

In the zone
kjuvale said:

These type of sound problem occurs because your DVDs contain 5.1 channel audio. Audio output of 5.1 channel DVD is erratic in a 2.1 channel system. Try to purchase a 5.1 channel system and enjoy the fullest thunder of 5.1 audio.

If you play those DVDs in your PC by PowerDVD then in Configuration / settings section there is an option to emulate 5.1 to 2.1 audio. Try it; may be you will be satisfied.

nil_3

In the zone
go4saket said:
To overcome this, I just discovered a very simple procedure to bypass all this problems and have success with every single DVD.

This is the standard procedure for copying anything from a CD/DVD. Never do a "Copy CD/DVD" directly in any case. Instead make an image of your intended CD/DVD by Alcohol/Nero/Roxio and then do an image copy.

OP
go4saket

go4saket

nil_3 said:
These type of sound problem occurs because your DVDs contain 5.1 channel audio. Audio output of 5.1 channel DVD is erratic in a 2.1 channel system. Try to purchase a 5.1 channel system and enjoy the fullest thunder of 5.1 audio.

If you play those DVDs in your PC by PowerDVD then in Configuration / settings section there is an option to emulate 5.1 to 2.1 audio. Try it; may be you will be satisfied.

I also thought this could be the reason, but then how does it play well in a TV. I have a 5.1 Channel DVD player connected to my TV with 2.1 Audio System. It sounds absolutely fine out there and if it sounds fine in a TV with a 2.1 Audio system, the same should go well with the computer system...

yash

I draw every day
Hi, I found this thread for dvd related questions and would like to ask one of my own...I have videos taken from my camera in 640x480 resolution and While burning them onto a dvd, I want to keep the same resolution so I dont have to reencode the video. is there a software which will allow me to output at that resolution? I tried nero vision and cyberlink power director. they both have only lp sp and hq options and the resolution they use is 704x576. please tell me which software to use.

nil_3

In the zone
yash said:
I have videos taken from my camera in 640x480 resolution and While burning them onto a dvd, I want to keep the same resolution so I dont have to reencode the video. is there a software which will allow me to output at that resolution?

DVD movie standard is 720x576 for PAL and 720x480 for NTSC. To play DVD in a standalone player, your video must have this resolution. But you need not worry about reencoding. Because, first you have to capture your video from camera into your computer's Harddisc. Connect your camera with Comp. by firewire and capture by Pinnacle/Ulead Video Studio etc. in AVI forrmat or MPEG2 format.It will capture in 720x576 whatever was your camera resolution. Now do necessary editing and thereafter create DVD by this software.

yash

I draw every day
ok...I`ll download ulead video studio then. But I had read dvd quality is 640x480 isnt it? and if the resolution increases, the file size will too right?and the quality cant possibly increase....I already have transfered the videos to my pc so they will have to be reencoded while burning the dvd.

OP
go4saket

go4saket

No Yash, DVD need a resolution of 720x576 for PAL and 720x480 for NTSC. If your video is in 640x480, it will be reencoded if you want to make a DVD out of it.

I recommend you to used Ulead Video Studio as the output quality is better than that of Pinnacle.

Capture your video in AVI format and not MPEG2 if you have intentions of editing the captured video. MPEG2 format is a compressed format and if you do editing and save it again, be sure to loose some quality again. So it is always advicable to do all editing in the uncompressed AVI format and then make a final MPEG1/MPEG2 format out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom