Issue with my Speaker System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizard

Journeyman
Hey Guys

I have bought Altec Lansing Speakers VS 3151R ( 5.1 Speaker System ) and I am using it with my Creative 5.1 DE Live Sound Card.

Inputs to the Speakers are taken from all 3 Inputs in the Sound Card ( front Rear and digital output slots )

Now I am facing a strange issue. Its this.

I am not able to hear sound in my CENTER Speaker when I play any song in WMP or Winamp or any other software.

But Creative Diagnostic Software says tht my center speaker is connected properly, Infact I am able to hear sound from it when I diagonise my card.

So Now its either a problem relating to the Codecs or something else ????

P.S
Luckily my Speaker System has an option to switch to 2/4 Channel Audio, so I am able to use the Center Speaker @ the moment, but since I got a Creative 5.1 Sound Card I am sure there is a way out for this.

expertno.1

Technomancer
I can make u confirm that possibly there is no codec problem as Winamp comes with a bundled of codecs

if u think u have codec problem then visit here

www.free-codecs.com
find a good codec pack and download it

now psot here what happened

OP
W

Wizard

Journeyman
expertno.1 said:
I can make u confirm that possibly there is no codec problem as Winamp comes with a bundled of codecs

if u think u have codec problem then visit here

www.free-codecs.com
find a good codec pack and download it

now psot here what happened

True, Even I dont think it is a problem with the codec coz I hav tried many s/w for tis inc Winamp 5

anwyyz which codec u wanna me to try in this site

dreams

Gracias Senor
This doesnt seem 2 b Codec prob.. may b the s/w ur tryin 2 play doesnt support the surround effects.. try 2 config the s/w to deliver sound using 5.1 surround sys..

i use PowerDVD with Dolby Digital Deluxe version.. it supports upto 7.1 surround speakers with Dolby ProLogic.. i use Sony Headphones and Normal Speakers.. The Bass in Headphone is awesome and the effects in my speakers are awesome too..

try PowerDVD 5 and i think this shuld resolve ur prob..

OP
W

Wizard

Journeyman
dreams said:
This doesnt seem 2 b Codec prob.. may b the s/w ur tryin 2 play doesnt support the surround effects.. try 2 config the s/w to deliver sound using 5.1 surround sys..

i use PowerDVD with Dolby Digital Deluxe version.. it supports upto 7.1 surround speakers with Dolby ProLogic.. i use Sony Headphones and Normal Speakers.. The Bass in Headphone is awesome and the effects in my speakers are awesome too..

try PowerDVD 5 and i think this shuld resolve ur prob..

Where can i get PowerDVD with Dolby Digital Deluxe version

Send me link via PM.

and I have CyberLink.PowerDVD.6.Deluxe And in this I have an option to select 6 Channel Audio Source and even If I select this my output in center speakers goes off after I switch to 6 Channel Audio @ my Speaker Control Pod

aadipa

Padawan
Try Media Player Classic

It has option to specify sound output channels.

Also make sure your source sound/movie files have perfect balance of all channels.

OP
W

Wizard

Journeyman
aadipa said:
Try Media Player Classic

Also make sure your source sound/movie files have perfect balance of all channels.

Could you tell me which Option to Select to enable sound in the center speakers.

With Default Settings @ mplayer classic , I am getting the same problem.

I changed the Decode to Speakers Option to Dolby Stereo - But still same issue. :(

rohanbee

Padawan
Correct me if i am wrong. All the other 4 speakers and the sub are working??

Have you tried playing a movie in surround sound dolby pro-logic mode and seen if the speaker still works.

Maybe the Center channel needs a seperate output source which your sound card does not have. The wiring could be on a different pattern for creative speakers.

OP
W

Wizard

Journeyman
rohanbee said:
Correct me if i am wrong. All the other 4 speakers and the sub are working??

Have you tried playing a movie in surround sound dolby pro-logic mode and seen if the speaker still works.

Maybe the Center channel needs a seperate output source which your sound card does not have. The wiring could be on a different pattern for creative speakers.

Yea, please read my First Post in this thread for xact Info.

Inputs to the Speakers are taken from all 3 Inputs in the Sound Card ( front Rear and digital output slots )

--
But Creative Diagnostic Software says tht my center speaker is connected properly, Infact I am able to hear sound from it when I diagonise my card.

--
Luckily my 5.1 Speaker System has an option to switch to 2/4 Channel Audio, so I am able to use the Center Speaker @ the moment, but since I got a Creative 5.1 Sound Card I am sure there is a way out for this.

Well, I have tried all options in WinDVD and Power DVD but If I Switch my control Pod to 6 channel audio, the output to center speakers goes OFF

And As I mentioned earlier, I am able to diagnoise the speaker properly with Creative Diagnostics and with 6 Channel Audio Enabled.

So this says, All speakers r connected properly.

rohanbee

Padawan
Yes dude..
i read your first post but i felt you had not given enough info. If you had read my post carefully this is what i said:-
1. Sometimes there are certain standards that certain companies follow. Example: i have an Altec 2.1 system but i need only one sound output from the card.
Here you have a creative card which has given you three are you sure the Altec supports that?!
Does the back of the sound card specify inputs for center , rear, front so on so forth?? Does the sub have a different input.

2. Why i asked you wether it played "MOVIES" & not "SONGS" as you mentioned because i am of the opinion that movies are recored in 5.1 hence the center should work automatically whereas the songs are recorded only in 2 channel sound which when you play in the 2/4 channel mode will distribuite sound to the rear as well......
and maybe...
also to the center.

suave_guy

pedal to metal
wizard said:

wizard...what u mean front rear and digital output slots....??

r u using the digital slot as ur third input...? (but thats not possible)

well u gotta plug ur 5.1 speakers to front jack, rear jack and center/subwoofer jack...

digital output is a different thing all together....its use to send encoded signals to ur speakers which obviously ur speakers cant detect coz they dont have a external decoder...so ignore ur digital slot....

creative live 5.1 DE is absolutely compatible with ur altec speakers....btw download latest creative drivers for ur soundcard...before anything else

now try two things....
1. play a EAX enabled multichannel game like doom3 or HL2 and check if ur center channel is working now?
2. play a 5.1 encoded dvd movie and again check if center channel is working....

if the above two conditions work then there's no compatibility issue with ur soundcard and speakers at all...

also make sure that u've enabled 6 speakers ouput from ur windows sound properties also....

i can answer to ur problem more precisely if u write more details....its somewhat confusing as of now...

ENjoy...

aadipa

Padawan
Wizard said:
aadipa said:
Try Media Player Classic

Could you tell me which Option to Select to enable sound in the center speakers.

With Default Settings @ mplayer classic , I am getting the same problem.

I changed the Decode to Speakers Option to Dolby Stereo - But still same issue. :(

Try this
*img251.echo.cx/img251/9752/mediaplayerclassic8le.th.jpg

OP
W

Wizard

Journeyman
Hey Guys, Tanks for ur replies.

Reply For rohanbee
rohanbee said:
Yes dude..
i read your first post but i felt you had not given enough info. If you had read my post carefully this is what i said:-
1. Sometimes there are certain standards that certain companies follow. Example: i have an Altec 2.1 system but i need only one sound output from the card.
Here you have a creative card which has given you three are you sure the Altec supports that?!
Does the back of the sound card specify inputs for center , rear, front so on so forth?? Does the sub have a different input.

2. Why i asked you wether it played "MOVIES" & not "SONGS" as you mentioned because i am of the opinion that movies are recored in 5.1 hence the center should work automatically whereas the songs are recorded only in 2 channel sound which when you play in the 2/4 channel mode will distribuite sound to the rear as well......
and maybe...
also to the center.

I read the Sound Card (SC) Manual, and It says this.

Before I tell u wht it says, my SC has got 5 Slots + 1 for Joystick

Analog/Digital Output(ANalog Center & Subwoofer or 6 channel S/PDIF output )
Line Level Out / Front
Line Level Out / Rear
Mic In
Line In

To Put things precise, my Sound Card slot looks like this.
*www.thetechroom.co.uk/reviews/hardware/altec_vs3151/TN_systemconnection.JPG

And my Connections are the same too.

And My Speakers, well it does Support such a connectivity.
Infact this picture is taken from a website where they reviewed the same speakers with a Creative 5.1 Card

I tested this with 2 Orginal Dvd Movies, But I wasnt able to find any difference.

OP
W

Wizard

Journeyman
Reply to suave_guy

suave_guy said:
wizard said:

wizard...what u mean front rear and digital output slots....??

r u using the digital slot as ur third input...? (but thats not possible)

well u gotta plug ur 5.1 speakers to front jack, rear jack and center/subwoofer jack...

digital output is a different thing all together....its use to send encoded signals to ur speakers which obviously ur speakers cant detect coz they dont have a external decoder...so ignore ur digital slot....

creative live 5.1 DE is absolutely compatible with ur altec speakers....btw download latest creative drivers for ur soundcard...before anything else

now try two things....
1. play a EAX enabled multichannel game like doom3 or HL2 and check if ur center channel is working now?
2. play a 5.1 encoded dvd movie and again check if center channel is working....

if the above two conditions work then there's no compatibility issue with ur soundcard and speakers at all...

also make sure that u've enabled 6 speakers ouput from ur windows sound properties also....

i can answer to ur problem more precisely if u write more details....its somewhat confusing as of now...

ENjoy...

Yes, I am using the 3rd Slot ( last slot in the picture put above ) as another output. Doing tis coz it says it is Digital Output and the speaker chord color matches the color seen in the card.

Well, If I remove tht cord from tht slot, and Diagnoise my speakers I am not gettin any sound from the center speaker ( even if the control pod is switched to 6 channel audio - If the cord is in place it says "CENTER" )

Where can i Find the Center Sub Woofer Jack, I assume that the last orange slot in the picture is the correct slot for the orange wire from the speakers

To Put tings very clear, There is no sound in the Center Speaker If my control Pod output is set to 6 Channel Audio.

I do get sound from tht speaker only in Creative Diagnostics

Anwyyz I will try the 2 Steps mentioned above and get back shortly

djmykey

Let the music play.....
A pretty noob suggestion Wizzy just out of curiosity, have u changed the speaker type in the Control Panel, I don't think this will matter but still there's no harm in trying this na. :) Just try it out. And also cute spks there how much did ya get them for.

Also try this link *www.altecmm.com/downloads/R01_VS3151_QCC.pdf

OP
W

Wizard

Journeyman
djmykey said:
A pretty noob suggestion Wizzy just out of curiosity, have u changed the speaker type in the Control Panel, I don't think this will matter but still there's no harm in trying this na. :) Just try it out. And also cute spks there how much did ya get them for.

Also try this link *www.altecmm.com/downloads/R01_VS3151_QCC.pdf

Hai.

The thing @ Control Panel is set to 5.1 Surround Speakers
Got it for Rs 5900 ( coudlnt bargain ny more )

*images.techtree.com/ttimages/story//3488_rw_alteclansingvs3151_full.jpg

I should say its a gr8 piece, but this issue is a little annoying.

aadipa

Padawan
@Wizard:
Have u tried the media player classic thing i gave? What was result after setting Left/Right channel to central speaker, as I told u to do on YIM?

OP
W

Wizard

Journeyman
aadipa said:
@Wizard:
Have u tried the media player classic thing i gave? What was result after setting Left/Right channel to central speaker, as I told u to do on YIM?
Hai

Yes I did try with Mplayer Classic, But no use, It came 6 Channel as the Audio Source but I didnt get anyoutput from center speaker whn my Control Pod was switched to 6 Channel

Yet to try switching channels, will do it now and post it

mohit

The Hardware Labs
hey wizard ... sorry i dont have any solution for your problem buddy but i want to ask if your speakers are wall mountable or not ? do they have that hole for being mounted on a screw behind them ? and ya me planning to use them with a creative sb live 7.1 (24 bit) sound card ... i hope they work man !! plz provide the info. thanx and hope u solve ur problem and what did u get that warning for mate ? lol

rohanbee

Padawan
WIZ those are some great looking speakers make my mx5021' s look bland.............
One tiny question (in my quest to find a solution for you), Does your mobo have a onboard sound card, maybe you should try that and see if it works...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom