ISRO lagging behind

adi007

Youngling
Hi

Today i was watching live ISRO launch of GSLV carrying GSAT-5P and i was really sad to see it getting wasted like that.

I know many will say that we are in learning curve, we will learn, will will succeed, these failures are just stepping stones to success etc etc

But the reality is we are way way behind any space technology.
Today's failure was very tragic since it blew up in first stage itself. :eek:

First stage is reliable proven stage and is similar to PSLV which has a good track record.
The technology that russia, US had decades ago, we are still not able to even match that.

We still dont have our own indigenous Cryogenic Upper Stage engine;we still rely upon Russia (BTW still 1 engine of Russia is left with us and after that we need to import more )
GSLV development started during 1990's

PSLV cannot be used to launch communication satellite and heavy satellites in geo synchronous orbits (above 36000 Km )
They are normally used to launch remote sensing and polar,sun synchronous satellites which i must say we have plenty and dont need any more. (However chandrayana was launched in a modified version of PSLV)

I really want to join ISRO after my engg. but when i look at the entrance procedures and the kind of questions they ask, i am sure i wont even get shortlisted. The same by-heart-worthless-manual type subjects we study in Engg. are the topics in entrance for ISRO.

I think its time for ISRO to introduce drastic changes.

Please share your options/remarks about ISRO's repeated lagging

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Hi

Today i was watching live ISRO launch of GSLV carrying GSAT-5P and i was really sad to see it getting wasted like that.

I know many will say that we are in learning curve, we will learn, will will succeed, these failures are just stepping stones to success etc etc

But the reality is we are way way behind any space technology.
Today's failure was very tragic since it blew up in first stage itself. :eek:

First stage is reliable proven stage and is similar to PSLV which has a good track record.
The technology that russia, US had decades ago, we are still not able to even match that.

We still dont have our own indigenous Cryogenic Upper Stage engine;we still rely upon Russia (BTW still 1 engine of Russia is left with us and after that we need to import more )
GSLV development started during 1990's

PSLV cannot be used to launch communication satellite and heavy satellites in geo synchronous orbits (above 36000 Km )
They are normally used to launch remote sensing and polar,sun synchronous satellites which i must say we have plenty and dont need any more. (However chandrayana was launched in a modified version of PSLV)

I really want to join ISRO after my engg. but when i look at the entrance procedures and the kind of questions they ask, i am sure i wont even get shortlisted. The same by-heart-worthless-manual type subjects we study in Engg. are the topics in entrance for ISRO.

I think its time for ISRO to introduce drastic changes.

Please share your options/remarks about ISRO's repeated lagging

First-Of course india is behind in space technology...we started quite late & we are catching up..plus our space research budgets are miniscule compared to russian/american counterparts...

Second-regarding the cryogenic engine...Its a very complex bit of technology which took years for U.S/France/Russia to develop..nobody got it in their first try & every country had a massive amount of cryo engine failures before they could perfect it..I do not see how india can avoid the failures because u have to fail to succeed in this design..there is no shortcut...INDIA HAS ITS OWN CRYO ENGINE..it was tested in the previous launch but it failed...like any other country..
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE-7.5
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE-20

On a personal note,i am saddened by the perception the people have about ISRO...Rather than criticizing blindly about its capabilities,i suggest you do some research about the cryo engines before passing the "u.s/russia better tech than india"...They have been in this business for decades,India hasn't...There is no comparison..ISRO is bound to make mistakes just like others did,but i know in the end they will succeed...

OP
A

adi007

Youngling
I know India has it own Cryo engine but it not proven yet.
And its been almost a decade since work started on development of indigenous cryogenic engines.

And BTW we cannot take example of previous failure attempts made by USSR , US etc during their development stage.That time was different.

Now present time is different. We have so many advancements in field of VLSI,MEMS. Aeronautics, Avionics etc etc Improvements in design,simulation , availability of super computers etc are (+) points of today's technology

Earlier days failure was due to their primitive technology available at that time.

I think we should stop depending upon other countries for our space research needs. Even the satellite we design are having many imported critical components.
"The recurring loss of Indian satellites because of power supply glitches may be due to the failure of imported components, according to Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) scientists."

And off course the budget and man power allocation needs to be increased

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
I know India has it own Cryo engine but it not proven yet.
And its been almost a decade since work started on development of indigenous cryogenic engines.

And BTW we cannot take example of previous failure attempts made by USSR , US etc during their development stage.That time was different.

Now present time is different. We have so many advancements in field of VLSI,MEMS. Aeronautics, Avionics etc etc Improvements in design,simulation , availability of super computers etc are (+) points of today's technology

Earlier days failure was due to their primitive technology available at that time.

I think we should stop depending upon other countries for our space research needs. Even the satellite we design are having many imported critical components.

And off course the budget and man power allocation needs to be increased

erm..do u expect the cryo engine work to be done within a decade with nobody's help & a miniscule budget..lets face it..cryo engine tech is one of the most guarded tech by every country who have tested it..not even the russians would give away their tech know-hows to india...primitive tech??u mean components of the engine??This is INDIA'S "Earlier days" in space tech...
I think the govt & some of their agencies have realised this now about the dependency prob & are working to Indigenous tech..it will take time..have patience...

Ps:-Sry for the late reply...was out of town for a week...

Top Bottom