Is Torrent safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Udaya Maurya

Journeyman
OS - Windows XP SP2
Antivirus - Kaspersky 6.0

QUERY - I want to know that whether using the Bit-torrent services is safe or not. I'm using antivirus software though but I'm continuously, means 24 hours, running torrents on my PCs. Is there any PC-health issues, or my XP can be crashed.

The using software, like uTorrent, clearly displays our IP address, can it cause several virus attacks.

nvidia

-----ATi-----
It depends. Not all the things that you download contain a virus.. But some will carry viruses with it.
If you are using your PC 24hrs then ensure that it is properly cooled and you have good air flow inside the cabinet.

redhat

Mad and Furious
As long as you are downloading legal torrents, chances of danger are extremely few...(less than 1 in 100)
Illegal downloads.... majority of them will contain malware, trojans, etc...(Remember, nothing come for free!!!)

OP
U

Udaya Maurya

Journeyman
I'm sure about what I'm downloaing. If I download an Avi file (only), it is damn sure that the torrent-content is viral-free. I'm talking of other risks like displaying IP address, etc.

Are there any other risks.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Legal or Illegal, Anything is safe if yo* *se a good antivir*s, good firewall, good antispyware. Those *an stop any kind of malware from that download, whatever yo* do.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
I'm sure about what I'm downloaing. If I download an Avi file (only), it is damn sure that the torrent-content is viral-free. I'm talking of other risks like displaying IP address, etc.

Are there any other risks.

Well, u wil lnot get virus (while d/laoding avi files) and as u said., u knw wat u are d/ladoing, also, use better torrent sites for searching for a particular torrent file, as it reduces the risk of virus,

Abt, the IP addres,s YES It will be displayed, this is only the reason why others will aslo be able to d/laod stuff from u (coz the torrent client that u are using) as well as the tracker ( the place wich manages all users) will hv a complete list of every user's IP adddress (this is how a tracker works)...

So, better use a s/ware known as PEER GUARDIAN (google it for the same) and it will prevent illegal and malicious or unwanted users esp. organisations to send corrupt data to u.. :)

Cheers n e-peace...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom