Is this a spyware infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
i have some weird program in my start up named fsm..it doesnt even have a path.
I found this out in Mike Lin's startup CPL 2.8
can someone please tell me what it is?
here is an image.

*img527.imageshack.us/img527/9181/fsmva5.th.jpg

And if i look for the program in msconfig
i find a startup item with no name ,no command & a path "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"

here is the image

*img527.imageshack.us/img527/6258/fsm2za1.th.jpg

Cant seem to figure this out...do i just disable it..
BTW i just installed AVG8 free edition

Nobody seems to be helping me out here .. :(

Last edited:

sreenidhi88

Journeyman
why don't you delete the registry key.in hklm>software>microsoft>windows>currentversion>run>
navigate here and delete the key.
tell me what happened

hullap

Cyborg Agent
get a better antivrus
NOD32 or Karpersky
If u want a free antivirus better get avast or antivir

EDIT, i noticed its a spyware issue,
get spybot S&D, and maybe ad-aware

sreenidhi88

Journeyman
which registry key i cant find any??

one immediate solution would be to delete the registry key.hoping that you wont run that malicious program again until you install good av.go for mcafee total security ;i am using it and has got no probs.

if you are not clear about which registry key to delete have a look at my post HERE you will definitely get some idea!

the problem with avast (in my case) is it detects the virus no doubt abt it ,however it falls back in getting the virus removed after it has detected it.so i switched over to mcafee.

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

ok will try deleting the registry or disabling it from msconfig ..lets see what happens..
I'll also give spybot a try...

installed Spybot.. did a full scan.. it did find a different spyware.. but the startup item/ spyware is still their.
should i post a hijackthis log file?

Last edited:

siddes

Perpetual Fresh Stock
Can you tell us the path in that registry key in the second image you've put up.
The path is more important here. By the way, from the icon it looks like a .bat or .cmd file, most probably in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

i deleted the entry... in safe mode & it didnt comeback .. so i guess problem is over for the time being

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom