Is the BFG NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS OC 512MB PCIe 2.0 a good future proof card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
hi guys,
i am putting together a gaming rig, sometime in May. But a relative of mine is traveling to the US soon, and i was thinking of getting the above mentioned card from there.

I have this card in mind because this review says that it outperforms the 8800gt and nearly matches the 8800gtx.

the price in the US is something like $260 (= 10400 Rs).

so my questions are:
1>is it the best card to buy for around 10k?
2>what are chances of me ending up with a defective product?

thanks guys........

Last edited:

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
so my question are:
1>is it the best card to buy for around 10k?
2>what are chances of a me ending up with a defective product?
thanks guys........
Well, in here, a 8800GTS is pretty costly. Say...around 14.5K! And yes, the card will last for couple of yrs.
Regarding ending up with a defective model, i would say thats very rare. BFG is a reputed brand. If, u are importing the card, then obtaining a defective piece could hang u up for a while. Be positive though...:D

OP
confused

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
Regarding ending up with a defective model, i would say thats very rare. BFG is a reputed brand. If, u are importing the card, then obtaining a defective piece could hang u up for a while. Be positive though...:D
thanks. actually was planning to get a nvidia nforce 780i mobo from abroad as well, until i read about Dead On Arrival mobos. too much trouble, sending it back for RMA.

Well, in here, a 8800GTS is pretty costly. Say...around 14.5K! And yes, the card will last for couple of yrs.
why will it last only a couple of years? :confused:i mean newer games will be playable at low settings i suppose.......

Anyway after a little more research, i realized there are three 8800 GTS 512MBs to choose from:EVGA, XFX (alpha dog) and BFG.

i read on this forum about heat issues with the alpha dog, so i guess i should rule it out. So can someone help me decide b/n EVGA and BFG??? Also EVGA is costlier by Rs.400/- But EVGA seems to be a more popular brand?:confused:

EDIT:after reading this comparision, i think i'll go with the XFX alpha dog.
Any comments are welcome........

thanks again...........

as it turns out, xfx apparently has several alpha dogs (somehow i missed it), the gt alpha dog 512 mb(10k in the US, 14k+ in India) and the gts 512mb (14k in the US, 20k+ in India).

and the above comparision shows, theres only a difference of 1-2 fps b/n EVGA and XFX gts 512 models. but XFX is costlier by more than 4K, so that definitely rules out XFX gts 512.

And i am back to square one.......
BFG gts 512 or EVGA gts 512???
i am thinking about going with EVGA......

please help me decide, thanks.....

Last edited:

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
well, i said "last for couple of yrs" not "only couple of yrs."
Yep, even newer games would be easily playable on it. Dont think much, 8800GTS a future proof product. And u are making a right decision. :)
Ok, regarding all models and price, i would say both EVGA and XFX products are good. Though, u can also looking for MSI 8800GTS card. Quite good. Though, its overclocking potential isnt that good. Anyways, go with EVGA GTS 512MB! Its all good.

ancientrites

In the zone
i dont understand y you guyz dont opt for LEADTEK graphic cards?almost all of you talk about asus,xfx,msi,evga...anyways.......
To confused,bfg512 gts all the way with 790i mobo ( NOT 780i mobo i heard these mobos are defected )

OP
confused

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
well, i said "last for couple of yrs" not "only couple of yrs."
ok:D

Yep, even newer games would be easily playable on it. Dont think much, 8800GTS a future proof product. And u are making a right decision. :)
Ok, regarding all models and price, i would say both EVGA and XFX products are good. Though, u can also looking for MSI 8800GTS card. Quite good. Though, its overclocking potential isnt that good. Anyways, go with EVGA GTS 512MB! Its all good.
seems like 9800gtx is a bit better than the gts, but 2-3ks more.

i dont understand y you guyz dont opt for LEADTEK graphic cards?almost all of you talk about asus,xfx,msi,evga...anyways.......
thats because its difficult to find reviews of leadtek cards. one would rather buy a tried and tested card, than a relatively unknown card.....

To confused,bfg512 gts all the way with 790i mobo ( NOT 780i mobo i heard these mobos are defected )
but the cost asso with 790i is staggering.......
1>790i is 4K more than 780i
2>only supports ddr3 memory, which is overpriced crap (at the moment)

yeah but i do know that 780i is essentially just a remodeled 680i.
But what defects are you talking about here???:confused:

Last edited:

monkey

Padawan

I never heard of any defect in 780i Mobos. Its just 680i SLI with native support for FSB 1333 MHz Proc. and support for 3-way SLI. Due to lack of any other special feature the people have kept away from it and waiting for 790i. My friend just bought EVGA 780i SLI and it is working fine as expected.

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
i dont understand y you guyz dont opt for LEADTEK graphic cards?
First of all, there is only one Guy going for GPU. :p
and second, preferences may vary. Leadtek used to be good brand untill 7 series were available. With the launch of 8 series, the name is no longer in limelight !

OP
confused

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
I never heard of any defect in 780i Mobos. Its just 680i SLI with native support for FSB 1333 MHz Proc. and support for 3-way SLI. Due to lack of any other special feature the people have kept away from it and waiting for 790i. My friend just bought EVGA 780i SLI and it is working fine as expected.
could you tell me the price/location of the 780i??

And i read on slizone that only 790i supports 3 way sli,what about 780i???
also only 8800gtx/ultra support 3 way sli, what about 8800gts???

ancientrites

In the zone
First of all, there is only one Guy going for GPU. :p
and second, preferences may vary. Leadtek used to be good brand untill 7 series were available. With the launch of 8 series, the name is no longer in limelight !

heheehhe..u r right bro..i love this product and sticked to it since so many years starting off with leadtek 6 series then 7 series and past 1 year 2 months with my 8800gtx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom