Is Speedtest.net reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Friends,

I just have this thing in my mind. I am having a "broadband" connection from a local ISP in Noida in Sec-19. The ISPs name is InstantXcess. I recently upgraded from the 128kbp@Rs.600 plan to 256 kbps@Rs 700 plan. To test my new connection speed, i used speedtest.net and i got this result.

*www.speedtest.net/result/273333875.png

Is it possible that i am getting these kind of upload rates? I have confirmed download rates using the Reliability and Performance Monitor, its true. At times i am even getting upto 307 kbps and never less then 250 kbps. But upload speeds seem isane to me? is it possible? i haven't tested.

By the way, if anybody's interested, i've done some config after which i have seen improvement in network performance in windows vista.Here they are:

1. enabled the "chimney offload" and "ecn capability" of the windows vista's new tcp/ip stack using the netsh commands:

netsh interface tcp set global chimney=enabled

and

netsh interface tcp set global ecncapability=enabled

2. Disabled the power management features of my network card from device manager->Netwrok adapters->My_Network_Adapters_Name->Properties. Its on the last tab labled "power management".

3. Enabled the Optimal Performance option on the "Advance" tab of the same network adapter's properties dialog. Also set the Link Speed/Duplex Mode to an appropriate setting after asking my ISP instead of the default setting of "Auto Negotiate".

So if anybody got a broadband connections that works using the Ethernet card, you can try these options. I don't claim to be an expert in this area, i found these settings working for me really great so i thought i should share it with my friends ie. u people :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom