IS NVIDIA SLI(scalable link interface) worth its money ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
@darklord
i have a query ... will 2*plain 6600's perform better than a single 6600gt ?? i am planning to buy the Leadtek Winfast 6600GT Extreme edition .. should i go for 2*plain 6600's instead and get a SLI rig ??

Ringwraith

Journeyman
nopes mohit ...dont think u shud do that..! since in most case performace increase is only abt 50-70% more compared to the single card! i ve bought the same card as urs (leadtek 6600gt extreme) and maybe ill buy another of these cards in (say) 6 months..when its price will come down frm 12k now to arnd 7k...

mohit

The Hardware Labs
@Ringwraith
man getting a 50-70% increase in perfomance is worth the dough ... r u really sure that perfomance diff is so much ?? or is it 5-7% ???

how good is the leadtek card ? played doom3 on it ? if yes do post details of the fps u got and on what resolution n quality. thanx. y dont u post a review on it ? it will be really helpful for others.

Ringwraith

Journeyman
okay! i will do it, but I ve yet to setup my new system...I ve the cpu n gfx card already...but I ve to get my mobo...so long then...after i get it...ill certainly post a review....
expect it ~saturday/sunday

and yes...abt the performance increase thing...are u saying performance increase with 2 SLI capable cards is only 5-7 % more than a single card!!? if so y wud anyone buy two cards shelling out double the money just for a 5% better performance-gain!

anyways AFAIK approximate figures:
6600GT extreme = 2* (6600 vanilla)
6800 GT = 2* (6600GT vanilla)

(2 6600 SLI'd) = (say) 1.7 * (1 6600 vanilla)

say u SLI'd two 6600GTs then u wud be paying around 11k+11k =22k for the gfx cards, while u cud have better spent 22k for the 6800GT card ! for a direct 200% performance ...considered to 170% performance of the SLI thingy.

sorry, if thr's too much mathematical calculations involved :D

darklord

Cyborg Agent
@ Mohit, i would recommend going for GT IF and only IF it works out cheaper than 2 6600 Cards. But advantage of 2 6600 Plain in SLI is you get 256 MB Buffer compared to 128 MB of GT.

Decide whats good for you.But hey,dont you have 915 board ? :roll:

mohit

The Hardware Labs
@darklord
ya i have a 915 board and thats what is the problem .. if i want to go for 2*plain 6600's ill have to change my board and ram (ddr2 required) ...so i have decided to go for the 6600gt or 6800 gt/ultra (if their prices fall). but the info u provided will be useful for a frnd of mine who is planning to get a new rig. ill advice him to go for 2*plain 6600's instead of a GT as the price diff will be of around 1-1.5k. thanx.

bukaida

In the zone
I am happy with my 6800 card. As technology is changing with gr8 pace, the prices will obviously come down.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
mohit said:
@darklord
ya i have a 915 board and thats what is the problem .. if i want to go for 2*plain 6600's ill have to change my board and ram (ddr2 required) ...so i have decided to go for the 6600gt or 6800 gt/ultra (if their prices fall). but the info u provided will be useful for a frnd of mine who is planning to get a new rig. ill advice him to go for 2*plain 6600's instead of a GT as the price diff will be of around 1-1.5k. thanx.

Also keep in Mind that there are 6600 plains with passive heatsink over it.
This might be useful in improving the quieteness of the system without compromising on the performance.

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
6600gt shd be better than 6600 is as such all games at practically most settings one might play with those cards .
if gt performs 40-80%(sometimes nearly double say abt 80%) that of 6600 , sli 6600 may cross it someimtes in some games but how many games take full advantage,even if sometime you can get 10-15% better performance will you even practically notice,you may to some extent but isn't that all however.
in games where sli is not supported or sli doesn't take full suport and gives small performance increase wouldn't you rather take 6600gt and also in the games where sli gives decent increase how much slower will the gt be.

xbitlabs.com/articles/video
comparison of 24 cards part II or something

Ringwraith

Journeyman
exactly...SLI support in games isnt very widespread right now...and nvidia has some compatibility issues still...(most of them however have been covered in the latest forceware driver) ...
@mohit SLI performance is better in higher cards ,ie >6600GT, i wudnt suggest u to buy 2 6600s still...

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
though upcoming games ,even if they do support sli
how many support sli to most of its potential and even if they do how much better would they be to a 6600gt , finally 6600gt is cheaper ,also better for older games (lack of sli usage) and maybe a tad less good or equal or maybe tad better for some games.
rather than sli 6600gt , take 6800gt
sli 6800gt,7800gtx
7800gtx sli
also,sometimes 6800 may loose to 6600gt

goobimama

 Macboy
what's the use of having an SLI of two 6200s when you can get better performance from one 6800? so I guess the principle is right, SLI only for high end cards.

indro

In the zone
If one is not good enough ,2 is never going to be enough too.Its the upgrade fobia which some people have in the enthusiast market.

ASH18MARCH

Journeyman
its not that sli is good enough its just that the technolgy is new most of the game in market today are done a year to 2 years back two of the most important thing for game artist and devolopers is amount of memory and the pipelines most of the game in future will reuire u to have minumum of 256 with atleast and recomended would be 512 and pipeline would be around 12 pipeline and recommeded would be 32 pipelines . now u have a 6600 gt right now after 1year price of 6600 will almost be equal to 6200 so sli will be a vice choice to upgrade rather then u selling a card and buying new sli is a intelligent upgrade option the tecnolgy is new but will catch up its upto to u weither u want to go for a smater option or just by looking at current trend of game which were made almost a year to 2 years back

indro

In the zone
Its much better to go for a single 7800 GTX rather than messing around with two 6600's or 6800's . There are other factors too , which makes the user experience better , like twin 10,000 rpm WD Raptors in RAID 0 ,better motherboard etc .

A modular approach is what is required to keep urself updated in time ,not giving headaches every 6 months when a new product is launched.I dont mind if the frames are around 50 fps , i'll be happy ,because the experience will be same @100 or even 200 fps also .If i start measuring each and every components with benchmarks ,then the upgrade mania is what you have , Congratulations you are sick !!

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
If a geforce 6600gt performs 40-80% better than geforce 6600 then why would you buy 6600 sli , in many of games of 2003-2004 you may not be supported sli , also,when supported how many games actualy take benefit and if they take beneift do they perform better by 6600gt by atleast 10-20%,if not then why would you play 6-7kmore,
won't you rather take 6600gt even if 6600 sli costed abt eual or 1000-2000bucks mroe.

Ringwraith

Journeyman
in short SLI can be done in two cases:

1) u are a performance freak , and nothing but the best can satisfy u...so u take two of the most powrful cards available and SLI them...:p
2) u keep SLI as an upgrade option....as in my case...I got a 6600GT extreme for 11.5k ...in another 6-7 months i buy another one of them (shud be cheaper by 4-5k) ...and get performace equivalent to 6800GT which i couldnt have afforded now!

darklord

Cyborg Agent
goobimama said:
what's the use of having an SLI of two 6200s when you can get better performance from one 6800? so I guess the principle is right, SLI only for high end cards.

SLI support starts from 6600 series and above. 6200 is not supporting SLI. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom