Is Nexus 7(2012) still worth buying??

Tarun Singh

Banned
Ok, so it is 100% certain that I am going to get this, but pls help me with these -
1. Can fk guys be trusted with credit card payments/upfront payments, have heard about lot of friends that they are awfully late in delivering non-COD orders?
2. Who offers a greater VFM - 16GB for 9k v/s 32GB for 11k?
3. If unfortunately I get a defective product, will I get an immediate replacement or I will have to send it to some Asus service center?
4. Have there been any lower price for 32Gb version than 11k?

1) These are all rumours.You can trust them.
2) It depends on you.If you can root and connect pen drive via OTG,16 GB is a VFM.If not,32 GB is VFM for you.
3) You will get an immediate replacement from Flipkart.
4) Flipkart is selling for lowest.Even Amazon.in is selling 16 GB Nexus 7 for more than Rs 11000.

OP
sdk

sdk

Broken In
Thanks @ashs1 and @Tarun for prompt replies,
I will definitely root it but my concern is that if I load 2 OS on it with some apps, will 16GB internal memory be enough or it will lag + whether the extra 16GB of internal memory is worth extra 2k?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Ok, so it is 100% certain that I am going to get this, but pls help me with these -
1. Can fk guys be trusted with credit card payments/upfront payments, have heard about lot of friends that they are awfully late in delivering non-COD orders?
2. Who offers a greater VFM - 16GB for 9k v/s 32GB for 11k?
3. If unfortunately I get a defective product, will I get an immediate replacement or I will have to send it to some Asus service center?
4. Have there been any lower price for 32Gb version than 11k?

I would just like to say my experience with them is positive. And if an online seller be trusted the most, it should be Flipkart. I have made many orders from them. All shipped in time. They have a 30 day replacement guarantee. If you think the item you got is defective in anyway, you can get it replaced within 30 days. And after which you can always avail warranty.
You can read positive and negative experience on Flipkart here: Flipkart

Only thing to look is to make sure the seller is WS Seller, before purchasing.

As far as more VFM is considered, its 16 GB for me. Reason is simple. I can always transfer contents to and from it through pen drive or external hdd, or by directly connecting it to PC. I don't need so much space. (Refer my 2nd last previous post).

OP
sdk

sdk

Broken In
Thank you guys ,
I am getting a 32gb version from fk (Needed some extra space for storing video files, so I am getting the 32 gb version),
I think its vfm too@11k...(is it?)
Expected delivery date is 6th Jan,
Have fingers crossed, hope I get a defect free n7. Will post few pics after I recieve it.

P.S.: Wish you all a very Happy New Year and thanks a ton for answering my queries so fantastically and promptly :D

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Congrats. I am sure you will receive it before 9th Jan. If you don't really live is some obscure part of country that is.
Don't forget to post the pics and a review. :p

Make an unpacking video, if you want.
I made this, when I bought N7 16 GB: Nexus 7 Unboxing - YouTube :D

OP
sdk

sdk

Broken In
^ Don't know about this dude, let others comment.
BTW, Flipkart is now offering 16GB model @10k and 32 GB@ 12k :shock:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Guys what's the manufacturing date of 16GB model?
I think you meant when was it released. It was announced in June 2012, and then released one month after. Manufacturing date will be different for each device.
BTW, Flipkart is now offering 16GB model @10k and 32 GB@ 12k :shock:

Prices keeps on fluctuating. But it have gone as low as 8k. I bought it for 9k. :D

mobimonkey

Broken In
I think you meant when was it released. It was announced in June 2012, and then released one month after. Manufacturing date will be different for each device.

Prices keeps on fluctuating. But it have gone as low as 8k. I bought it for 9k. :D

I mean what is the manufacturing date on the box of nexus?

OP
sdk

sdk

Broken In
^ Will tell asap I receive mine.

@Vyom: 1. Does n7 require an screen guard or screen protector, or the gorilla front is enough? Suggest one if its necessary...
2. Should I charge the n7 as soon as I recieve it, or switch it on and then charge it, What is the normal charging period as per you?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
1. Does n7 require an screen guard or screen protector, or the gorilla front is enough? Suggest one if its necessary...
2. Should I charge the n7 as soon as I recieve it, or switch it on and then charge it, What is the normal charging period as per you?

1. Well, I have been careless about screen protector. I didn't bother about it. I have just bought a cheap hard case, from ebay. And so far its serving good. I bought this: *www.ebay.in/itm/271319577298?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
But if you intend to use your tab roughly, you can consider to buy one.

2. When I opened the tab, it was not completely discharge. I used it for hours before finally putting it to charge at night. So you can try switching it on. And if it doesn't after the press of 5 second, then you will need to charge it. It takes about 10 min for the tab to recover from a complete zero charge. That means if your tab is complete discharge, it will take around 10 min to even show the charging indicator.

Last edited:
OP
sdk

sdk

Broken In
Yoohooo! Received it today and boy am I amazed....
So far its uber cool,
Audio is not too loud but quality is great. Screen is awesome too. Will post some screenshots and review soon

TY @Vyom for your awesome replies, you cleared all my doubts regarding n7.
Dude I have some more questions to ask:
1. I have tried some games on it and though I handle devices with care, do I need a screen guard?
2. Is it safe to upgrade to KitKat, have heard that it has some instability issues and apps are not working fine on it.
3. Should I run some benchmarks etc?
4. I have checked the device physically, the charger fixes in brilliantly and there are no issues with slow charging either
5. Any apps/games you would suggest me?

OP
sdk

sdk

Broken In
Pls someone tell , is the screen protector/guard a necessity, after a bit of use I can clearly see some finger prints on the screen, is it ok or should I get a screen protector?
Is the screen prone to scratches and blots even with gorilla front?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yoohooo! Received it today and boy am I amazed....
So far its uber cool,
Audio is not too loud but quality is great. Screen is awesome too. Will post some screenshots and review soon

TY @Vyom for your awesome replies, you cleared all my doubts regarding n7.
Dude I have some more questions to ask:
1. I have tried some games on it and though I handle devices with care, do I need a screen guard?
2. Is it safe to upgrade to KitKat, have heard that it has some instability issues and apps are not working fine on it.
3. Should I run some benchmarks etc?
4. I have checked the device physically, the charger fixes in brilliantly and there are no issues with slow charging either
5. Any apps/games you would suggest me?

Since you completely ignored my previous post, I am going to quote again:
1. Well, I have been careless about screen protector. I didn't bother about it. I have just bought a cheap hard case, from ebay. And so far its serving good. I bought this: *www.ebay.in/itm/271319577298?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
But if you intend to use your tab roughly, you can consider to buy one.

2. Kitkat is fine. But the only issue which I get is that 3G dongle is not that smooth. I had to try some hacks to let the 3G dongle work flawlessly. If you don't intent to use a 3G dongle, and to use only Wifi, or use internet from tethering, you can update to kitkat.

3. You can run benchmarks all you want! In fact I posted some benchmarks myself. Link to my thread in siggy.

4. That was not a question.

5. I can only suggest apps which I wrote in my blog: The Must Have Android Apps | Vineet Kumar
But you can find related thread here on TDF.

Top Bottom