Is my PSU failing?

Tachyon1986

In the zone
Hi,I have a Corsair TX750 that I bought 2 years ago. Lately, the PC just shuts down randomly. It's like someone pulled the plug, no BSOD or any error, *POOF* PC is off just like that. I cant really tell when it shuts down as it seems to be random.

Its not an OS issue either. I did a full format and reinstalled Windows 7. Random shutdowns continue to occur.

What do you guys think? Is the PSU kaput or something else is causing it?

> Post a screenshot of coretemp aftert running it for a few minutes.
> Does the system shut down particularly when doing something?
> Post the full config?
> Are you using some UPS?

OP
T

Tachyon1986

In the zone
> Post a screenshot of coretemp aftert running it for a few minutes.
> Does the system shut down particularly when doing something?
> Post the full config?
> Are you using some UPS?

1. At work now, no screenshots. I do remember the temps, it was around 54 degree Celsius. Was browsing at the time.

2. This is tricky. Sometimes happens when browsing , sometimes during gaming. Sometimes even on idle.

3. Full config in my signature. Will post it anyway (Intel Core2Quad q6600,Mobo Gigabyte G41M-Combo, Heatsink Coolermaster Gemini II-S, 8Gb ddr3 ram, Gtx 560 Ti, Corsair Tx750W

4. UPS is a APC with 1000VA.

1. At work now, no screenshots. I do remember the temps, it was around 54 degree Celsius. Was browsing at the time.

2. This is tricky. Sometimes happens when browsing , sometimes during gaming. Sometimes even on idle.

3. Full config in my signature. Will post it anyway (Intel Core2Quad q6600,Mobo Gigabyte G41M-Combo, Heatsink Coolermaster Gemini II-S, 8Gb ddr3 ram, Gtx 560 Ti, Corsair Tx750W

4. UPS is a APC with 1000VA.

54 C at idle is too high. Clean your cabinet and post a screenshot of coretemp aftert running it for a few minutes.

OP
T

Tachyon1986

In the zone
54 C at idle is too high. Clean your cabinet and post a screenshot of coretemp aftert running it for a few minutes.

Sorry, i meant 45 degree celsius at idle. Its not a heat issue. I ran prime 95 for an hour, CPU temps reached 70 degree Celsius. I quit prime95. Later, while just browsing...the instant shutdown happened.

Its getting worse, sometimes it just shuts down when booting up Windows 7.

Sorry, i meant 45 degree celsius at idle. Its not a heat issue. I ran prime 95 for an hour, CPU temps reached 70 degree Celsius. I quit prime95. Later, while just browsing...the instant shutdown happened. Its getting worse, sometimes it just shuts down when booting up Windows 7.

Try using another PSU.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I think you missed the part where I said I ran memtest86. But yes, I had already done your suggestion.

dont rely too much on memtest instead individual ram should be used to test the pc.
i ran it on my pc, it detected one error. 2 days later, i ran it again and it did not show any errors for 4-5 hours i guess.

OP
T

Tachyon1986

In the zone
dont rely too much on memtest instead individual ram should be used to test the pc.
i ran it on my pc, it detected one error. 2 days later, i ran it again and it did not show any errors for 4-5 hours i guess.

Tried that too, PC still shuts down randomly. I think it may have to do with a failing HDD though... Seems to happen when I'm trying to open a large file. I get no probs in safe mode strangely...

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if haven't done yet scan your pc with kaspersky rescue boot cd.also use crystaldiskinfo free portable zip edition(works without installing) to check your hdd health & post screenshot of values here.

daemon1

Journeyman
Hi,I have a Corsair TX750 that I bought 2 years ago. Lately, the PC just shuts down randomly. It's like someone pulled the plug, no BSOD or any error, *POOF* PC is off just like that. I cant really tell when it shuts down as it seems to be random.

Its not an OS issue either. I did a full format and reinstalled Windows 7. Random shutdowns continue to occur.

What do you guys think? Is the PSU kaput or something else is causing it?

My system is also having same problem and yes it is besauce of PSU which is not able to work properly. I am also looking to change the SMPS with some low cost one as system is old.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
My system is also having same problem and yes it is besauce of PSU which is not able to work properly. I am also looking to change the SMPS with some low cost one as system is old.

dont cheap out on psu. atleast get antec bp300p. else vp450p, so which can be used in further upgrades also.

Flash

Lost in speed
I too have the same problem as yours. It's surely because of PSU.
Is your PSU fan spin?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Try disabling auto reboot in windows error recovery menu.. in advanced system settings..
If some error comes up afterwards, like a BSOD.. then the PSU isnt the culprit

daemon1

Journeyman
dont cheap out on psu. atleast get antec bp300p. else vp450p, so which can be used in further upgrades also.
understood, but I dont want to spend more on old system, just want to make it working.
How is Cooler Master CM 350 Plus 350 (Rs.1800 in FK) from what I know the iBall unit is having 250w so this should work.
Antec BP300P is around 2150 online.

I too have the same problem as yours. It's surely because of PSU.
Is your PSU fan spin?
It does but make hell of a noice. What about yours ?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
understood, but I dont want to spend more on old system, just want to make it working.
How is Cooler Master CM 350 Plus 350 (Rs.1800 in FK) from what I know the iBall unit is having 250w so this should work.
Antec BP300P is around 2150 online.

It does but make hell of a noice. What about yours ?

dont go for such CM psus. they are worse. antec bp300p should be cheaper locally and worth every penny. all local psus make hell lot of noise.

- - - Updated - - -

remember, psu is the heart of your system

Top Bottom