Is my old Monitor salvageable?

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
Well,i have an old Hp vp17 monitor
my parents had bought this along with my old PC when i was a kid in 2007, unfortunately the rig died in 2008 due to a "virus"
attempts to repair it were unsuccessful so it gathered dust in a corner of my house,unused for about 6 years
two years ago i tried to check if the monitor still works by connecting its VGA cable to my laptop to see if it displays something
it displayed alright but everything had a yellow tint on it,strangely, only the display from my laptop was yellow tinted not the UI of the monitor
i thought its the monitor's VGA cable's fault so i used the same cable to connect my TV to my Laptop,it displayed everything nicely from my laptop without the yellow tint
i guess its due to dirt in the VGA port of the monitor or something,or due to dirt in the monitor itself
is there anyway to repair my monitor?
i am planning to get a new rig in the coming months and want to know if i can use this monitor with it,so that i can save some money

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
nothing would be salvageable coz all that tech is now almost obsolete. and an LCD that old will have low market value. sell it off at whatever price you get. ;)

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Well,i have an old Hp vp17 monitor
my parents had bought this along with my old PC when i was a kid in 2007, unfortunately the rig died in 2008 due to a "virus"
attempts to repair it were unsuccessful so it gathered dust in a corner of my house,unused for about 6 years
two years ago i tried to check if the monitor still works by connecting its VGA cable to my laptop to see if it displays something
it displayed alright but everything had a yellow tint on it,strangely, only the display from my laptop was yellow tinted not the UI of the monitor
i thought its the monitor's VGA cable's fault so i used the same cable to connect my TV to my Laptop,it displayed everything nicely from my laptop without the yellow tint
i guess its due to dirt in the VGA port of the monitor or something,or due to dirt in the monitor itself
is there anyway to repair my monitor?
i am planning to get a new rig in the coming months and want to know if i can use this monitor with it,so that i can save some money

Sell it to the internet cafe guys. They are the only ones who will buy it and ofcourse, do not hesitate even if he offers you ~500 (500 is a great deal though :p)

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
^ +1 to this

otherwise keep it as an auxiliary display
from your description it seems an issue of out of calibration
open the monitor & re calibrate
there will be a set of very small potential meters adjust them & check(try it out)

Last edited:
Top Bottom