is my Ethernet dead?

vinayan

Broken In
Hi all.. i need your help..
there was a lightning last week when i was not home and my parents said that there was a burning smell from my modem..when i tried to connect to internet, it worked through the USB connector..but the LAN light from the modem is not blinking now...i really want to install linux in my system and i know it is going to be hell without the ethernet connector..please tell me if it is a modem issue or something in the motherboard..my modem is iball baton ADSL2..:sad:

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Cheap ones are also there as low as 100 but as mithun_mrg said get a genuine brand such as intex,TechCom or Dlink.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
@OP - You're lucky that only the LAN interface was damaged. I've known several cases where lightning rendered the whole motherboard useless. For example, there was this incident about 7 years ago:

Three days after I assembled a computer for a customer, lightning struck their neighbourhood gaming network. The new computer wouldn't even turn on. On checking it, I found that some part of the motherboard was completely shorting the power supply rail to ground. I felt really sorry for the owner and replaced the motherboard for its actual cost to me.

Two years later, I had an idea and checked the motherboard again. Sure enough, the lightning had blown pieces off the top of the LAN chip. I downloaded the chip datasheet and identified the power supply pins. Then I disconnected that from the circuit and Voila! the motherboard came back to life.

I installed a spare PCI network card and assembled a complete rig using other spare parts. That computer is still one of the four in my home network.

Here's a picture of the blown LAN chip:

*i48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/keimah/Blown_chip.jpg

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Blown away really!!! How the mobo survived, is a massive chunk of luck.

OP
vinayan

vinayan

Broken In
hi guys..just to inform you..i managed to configure modem through usb itself by running 'lsusb' and adding a file in the rules.d folder..a great feeling solving this..
attached is a screen from my linux..it looks cool..now i have to learn it..

by the way, seeing the motherboard,i have a big sigh of relief..i just escaped..

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Glad to know your problem is solved, and I understand your pleasure in solving it. Congrats.

One thing though. In general, LAN connections are more stable than USB ones. So I suggest you keep the option of fitting a LAN card in mind.

Top Bottom