is linux really better at multiple core processors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgpraveen

Simpsons rox
someone told me that multiple core like dual core etc are supported right now also in linux and the performance goes up a lot in linu xthan in windows with thsi type of processors.
Is this true and if so how?

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
More performance in Multiple core CPU: Not unless u compile the kernel & applications according to the CPU

Multiple CPU : Yup

praka123

left this forum longback
tgpraveen said:
someone told me that multiple core like dual core etc are supported right now also in linux and the performance goes up a lot in linu xthan in windows with thsi type of processors.
Is this true and if so how?
Linux supports smp long time before itself.u need to get a distro with x86_64 tagged means it got a kernel compiled and optimized for 64-bit PC's.it works fine.
for eg:Ubuntu 64-bit u can download

OP
T

tgpraveen

Simpsons rox
so u mean say ubuntu 7.04 will have no performance diff between a single core and dual core processor if i use the default install without any tweaking or compiling.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
It will have for sure. I guess Prakash doesn't know the difference between 2 physical CPUs & a dual core CPU. You need to compile kernel AFAIK to use the dual core functionality or atleast install an optimised kernel. Also, enable hyperthreading.

OP
T

tgpraveen

Simpsons rox
^^^^^
is there no distro which is by itself potimised for dual core and has hyper threading enable by default

coz the thing is i am not very comfortable with compiling etc

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
right. I have a dual core e2140 cpu. will the 64 bit version work on that.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
^^^ if it is Core 2 Duo then yes

is there no distro which is by itself potimised for dual core and has hyper threading enable by default

Ask the linux guys.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
have a look
*search.techrepublic.com.com/search/Linux+and+multi-core.html

praka123

left this forum longback
gx_saurav said:
It will have for sure. I guess Prakash doesn't know the difference between 2 physical CPUs & a dual core CPU. You need to compile kernel AFAIK to use the dual core functionality or atleast install an optimised kernel. Also, enable hyperthreading.
care to hear what smp is symmetric muti processing.it is there from old days from ibm server time.also all kernels nowadays come with smp enabled in kernel-which means support for dual core/hyper threading.
there are dual-cpus used before c2d came.I have compiled kernel myself several times.there are lot of "modding" which can be done to optimize performance.an example is/was ck
patches from Con Kolivas.
The kernel does offer in processor feature section to make it optimized for c2d,amd or via,cyrix,arm etc.
So the generalized solution for 64-bit users is to use Ubuntu or any distro which is compile for 64-bit performance.
see below page for correct option.
*www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
and also let you know there are many pre-compiled kernels available in debian or ubuntu repositories which u can install via apt after the install.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
praka123 said:
there are dual-cpus used before c2d came.I have compiled kernel myself several times.there are lot of "modding" which can be done to optimize performance.

Thats what I said, dual core optimisation in Linux kernel is there, just not be default
*www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
and also let you know there are many pre-compiled kernels available in debian or ubuntu repositories which u can install via apt after the install.

Again what I said before.

praka123

left this forum longback
anyways a "lean" kernel is the "fastest" kernel(not necessarily always).
but when u get gdm within 20 sec from bootup,it is an achievement :p.but Gnome/kde adds more time though. :(

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
gx_saurav said:
Thats what I said, dual core optimisation in Linux kernel is there, just not be default
almost all of the distros haf smp support in kernel by default! :) only 32 and 64bit are discrete distro versions. i mean, if u want 64bit support then you'll hafta install the 64bit version, which is optimised out of the box for 64bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom