Is it safe to use Molex to PCI Express 6 pin converter

Aom4771

Broken In
Hell,

I have just ordered a AMD raedon 270x Graphics Card. Now I noticed it requires two 6 pin connector but Coolermaster 450w has just one 6 pin connector. So would it be safe to use two 4 pin molex to 6 pin connector to use with above graphics card. I have very linear setup -
CPU - Amd phenom 2 560
RAM - 4x2 = 8 gb ram
HDD - 1 tb Segate

Just above hardware.
So please regarding above issue.
Thanks!

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Hell,

I have just ordered a AMD raedon 270x Graphics Card. Now I noticed it requires two 6 pin connector but Coolermaster 450w has just one 6 pin connector. So would it be safe to use two 4 pin molex to 6 pin connector to use with above graphics card. I have very linear setup -
CPU - Amd phenom 2 560
RAM - 4x2 = 8 gb ram
HDD - 1 tb Segate

Just above hardware.
So please regarding above issue.
Thanks!

Yeah, you get those connectors with graphics card too for compatibility purpose.

Just check that your PSU is able to deliver the total wattage for your system.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
How much is AMD raedon 270x Graphics Card when you ordered it?

If it comes for 13.5k then you can go with MSI GTX950 OC which has one six pin PCI Express power connector so no issues with your power supply. Just think over it.OK.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
How much is AMD raedon 270x Graphics Card when you ordered it?

If it comes for 13.5k then you can go with MSI GTX950 OC which has one six pin PCI Express power connector so no issues with your power supply. Just think over it.OK.

Even GTX 960 came down to under 10k recently ;)

Nerevarine

Incarnate
It came down for one particular deal, chances of that happening again is next to none

The min price of GTX 960 is still around 15k

OP
A

Aom4771

Broken In
I got my 270x for just 10k in a deal. AlsoI have this coolermaster 450w PSU which i thought is powerful enough to power this 270x. But its just short of a connector.

- - - Updated - - -

950oc is available minimum for 15k online. Not available ij my locality.

dekaron

Broken In
I wonder if CPU will be a bottleneck

PSU is borderline risky as 500W is recommended, could have gone for lower power Nvidias or R7 265/370

OP
A

Aom4771

Broken In
I bought because of a deal. Also as for PSU I have bare essential hardware, nothing extra. So will it be enough?

OP
A

Aom4771

Broken In
Im on a very very strict budget. So as of now I will have to settle with my current PSU. I checked power requirement of 270x on various websites and according to them it can draw most 275w and my other hardware is bare minimum essential only. So I guess I can carry on my current psu.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Im on a very very strict budget. So as of now I will have to settle with my current PSU. I checked power requirement of 270x on various websites and according to them it can draw most 275w and my other hardware is bare minimum essential only. So I guess I can carry on my current psu.

The wattage is not the problem. It's the quality of the PSU that's the problem.

OP
A

Aom4771

Broken In
I thought Coolemaster is a well known reputated brand. Even Digit magazines recommended configuration for Basic Gaming PC recommend above PSU.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have just ordered a AMD raedon 270x Graphics Card. Now I noticed it requires two 6 pin connector but Coolermaster 450w has just one 6 pin connector. So would it be safe to use two 4 pin molex to 6 pin connector to use with above graphics card.
Say the exact model of your PSU. CoolerMaster has some good PSUs, but also had some bad ones.

MOLEX to 6-pin PCI-e if fine to run.

For the record, I'm running a HD 6950 on a Corsair CX430v2 with a MOLEX to 6-pin PCI-e converter. Just don't push the limits by overclocking or mining 24x7.

dekaron

Broken In
Digit probably put it under basic gaming rig with a lower end GPU, check the PSU for the rig with 270x or equivalent .

I'm guessing, Is it Thunder series?

Top Bottom