Is it safe to use Molex to PCI Express 6 pin converter

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Yes. Its coolermaster thunder 450w. What's your say about it.

Here is a review of a Thunder unit

We must criticize the low material thickness, especially as we have found when you open that many corners are quite sharp.A thin body is not only cheaper, but also affects the shielding effectiveness.Radiated interference can thus act more outwardly.

At the low-pass filter at the output, among other things, the capacitors WL from Jun Fu and KF of CapXon be used.

Since the model reached partly less than 80% efficiency even at 230 V, it logically deserves no 80 PLUS award.

Jun Fu caps are of sh*t quality. Any PC having mid-range to high-end GPUs should ideally be using Tier 1 caps from this list.

OP
A

Aom4771

Broken In
But there are positive reviews also -*www.hardwaresecrets.com/cooler-master-gx-450-w-power-supply-review
Also one which i have is 85 efficiency PSU.

Last edited:

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
GX is a different series! (also not great btw). Ok you thought that the link I posted is of a different 'B' series. Nope. It's the same Thunder series. It's sold in China under the 'B' series name. Low cost PSUs usually have jhol naming schemes. A review from one country should not affect the market of another country.

OP
A

Aom4771

Broken In
I bought above psu just recently. So now I cant buy a new one. So how long do you expect can I use it safely after which it will impact other Hardware or itself ??

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
IDK. If you had asked for advice on any decent forum before purchasing the PSU everyone would have told you not to purchase that CM PSU. In fact any CM PSU. The PSU certainly is prone to problems:
Oh! No. Not again. PSU is busted - AnandTech Forums

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
IDK. If you had asked for advice on any decent forum before purchasing the PSU everyone would have told you not to purchase that CM PSU. In fact any CM PSU. The PSU certainly is prone to problems:
Oh! No. Not again. PSU is busted - AnandTech Forums

All lower end CM PSU's are just crap. If you really want to buy CM PSU then you need to buy 10k PSU range otherwise Seasonic M12II 520w @ 5.9k is best in regards to price to performance ratio.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Well, shop refused to take it back. Now I guess I will have to take my chances with it.

Should ask the shopkeeper to get you Antec/Seasonic PSU in exchange of CM one. Or you can ask him to replace your components with new ones in future for free if they get damaged due to the PSU.

OP
A

Aom4771

Broken In
Still one thing though. If that PSU is so much crap than even digit crew isn't aware of that ??? Even in the latest issue they have recommended it for Entry Level Gaming PC with a R7 265 Graphics card? ???

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Still one thing though. If that PSU is so much crap than even digit crew isn't aware of that ??? Even in the latest issue they have recommended it for Entry Level Gaming PC with a R7 265 Graphics card? ???
For entry level gaming now-a-days, 750Ti is bare minimum. Along with Antec VP450P.

OP
A

Aom4771

Broken In
Read that article guys about the Coolermaster PSU.

I think its not that bad after all.

Feature PC: IGN India PC Gaming guide: How long can you go?

Ign India recommending above psu for higher gaming pc and also even digit guys recommend it for basic gaming pcs.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
yea, the GPU you ordered shall work fine. Just don't get into overclocking business. And from next time, buy a better PSU.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Read that article guys about the Coolermaster PSU.

I think its not that bad after all.

Feature PC: IGN India PC Gaming guide: How long can you go?

Ign India recommending above psu for higher gaming pc and also even digit guys recommend it for basic gaming pcs.

lol don't trust them especially Indian reviewers. They just stress test the system once for 30 minutes or so, use it maybe 4 hrs a day under light load. They don't use it for more than 8 hrs a day under load. After 2 or 3 years of usage it will definitely die and during its course it will also damage your other PC components if its voltage regulation is bad.

Tomal

Broken In
The PCIE 6-pin is rated for 72W @12V = 6.24A. This is spread across 3 power lines for 2.08A each. With only 2 of the 3 12V connectors attached even at only 60W those leads are pulling 2.5A a piece

If you want to see the glass half full ... had the Molex side of connector not burnt likely it could have destroyed your graphics card. Honestly whoever made that connector should be sued and if it was included with a GPU whoever included it should be sued too.

Standards exist for a reason.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmmm . interesting theory. But I've ran 9600GT for like 6 years with such an connector and the GPU is still fine though I don't use it anymore now.

Top Bottom