IS IT LEGAL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slugger

Banned
Consider this scenario.
I got a licensed copy of the OS Win 98. I copy the content of the CD on my HDD. I relocate but forget to take the CD along with me, which is now lying in my parent's place. So now whenever I need to re-install the OS on the same computer, will it be legal if I install it from the setup files that is there in my computer. Also I decide to burn a copy of the same on a CD and use it to install my OS. I am the only user of the CD. Will it be legal?

PS:- For those who would suggest that my parents courier or post it to me, let us imagine that the postal dept and courier cos are on a year long strike, or better still, I am working as a light-house keeper in the remmmmotttessstt island of our planet, which is so remote that if you went any further you would start coming back. Also no other human ever dared to set foot on the island, for reasons best unknown to me (if at all there exists a term like 'best unknown'). So no friends,enemies, relatives, absolutes can come over and give me the CD.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
PS:- For those who would suggest that my parents courier or post it to me, let us imagine that the postal dept and courier cos are on a year long strike, or better still, I am working as a light-house keeper in the remmmmotttessstt island of our planet, which is so remote that if you went any further you would start coming back. Also no other human ever dared to set foot on the island, for reasons best unknown to me (if at all there exists a term like 'best unknown'). So no friends,enemies, relatives, absolutes can come over and give me the CD.
But u have internet access??

AFAIK, making copies for urself is ok. Microsoft even recommends that u keep a copy in ur hdd.
Check out the eula to make sure. Here.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Its okay as long as you not share it with others or install on different computers ... And its better to install from HDD anyways cauz hard disk's access speed is much faster than CD Rom's ... So the installation completes sooner ..

hack expert

In the zone
If u own the licensed version pf the os which u do then go ahead make
backups on cd or hdd .but if u give \sell the copies then it getz illegal

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Where is that written ?

Okay I found it .. First its the XP Eula that you are reading ..and secondly .. read it properly .. :p

The End-User License Agreement (EULA) for many Microsoft application software products contains the following sentence: "The primary user of the computer on which the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is installed may make a second copy for his or her exclusive use on a portable computer." If your EULA contains this sentence, then, subject to the conditions mentioned, you may make a second copy of the software. Note that you must be the primary user of the computer on which the software is installed. The primary user is the individual who uses the computer most of the time it is in use. Only that individual is entitled to use the second copy. Furthermore, the software must be installed on the local hard disk of your computer; you are not entitled to make and use a second copy on your portable computer if you run the primary copy of the software from a network server. Finally, only one secondary copy may be made; you may install this copy on more than one portable computer.

Please note that many Microsoft products are copy protected and it will not be technically possible to make a second copy of the disk. If you are a Licensee of software that includes copy protection technology, please call the Product Support Services number provided for that specific product to learn whether or not unencrypted disks can be obtained.

Win98 Eula dont contain that line . .. even XP one too .. :p .. And btw .. Ive had a long discussion over this matter from "someone inside MS" about legal implications of installing the same version on a desktop and a laptop .. :p .. They say if you want to install on laptop, buy another copy of OS ..

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
siriusb said:
..<snip>..
AFAIK, making copies for urself is ok. Microsoft even recommends that u keep a copy in ur hdd.
Check out the eula to make sure. Here.

It was there in that link.

OP
slugger

slugger

Banned
thank you folkz 4 clearing my doubt.
You people are a victim of your own success, so I am posting another scenario that had cropped up in my mind.
Suppose a given SW allows the user to use it for a total of 30 days in all.
At the end of 25 days I format my HDD and reinstall the OS. Now when I reinstall the above-mentioned SW, I again get 30 more days of usage instead of 5 days. Now everytime it nears the end of of its trial, I can format the hdd reinsatall the os and the SW to use all over again. I am not using any crack or key generator. I am performing 3 completely legal operations (format-install OS-install SW) and getting to use the SW 4 an indefinite amount of time.
Is it a legal thing to do?
(Consider the scenario from a strictly therotical pov and not the practicality of the axn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom