Is doing MS(US) beneficial for IT industry?

socratespythagoras2

Right off the assembly line
Hi Friends,
It really hurts to know that majority of non-US students do MS from US just for the purpose of being able to get jobs & settle there, rather than for quenching their thirst for knowledge.

I am an Indian & currently work in an IT company since last 3 yrs. I completed my B.E.(Computers). My intentions are to actually educate myself in the IT field do as to equip myself to become a Java/J2EE architect in the future. Here, in India, we get to do masters in Comp Sci & not in fields pertaining to IT. So doing Masters here in India for becoming an Enterprise Architect don't really make sense.

So is it kind of of beneficial for spending 2 yrs n getting the masters degree rather that working & gaining the practical knowledge & experience?

Very unfortunately, my friends who have done Masters abroad have not done it to help their career back in India immediately, but rather for earning in dollars - so I am yet to meet someone who can say that, "Ohh yes, MS really helped me back here in India" or "Yes Yes, MS did improve my outlook towards problem solving in IT industry".

So friends, I ask you all for your advice - should i do Masters(after spending ks of $s ) or will my Bachelors degree with a list of certs & genuine IT knowledge suffice me towards my goal of being an enterprise architect ? Really, Really confused!!! I dread & fear the situation wherein I am denied opportunities & responsibilities just because I have not done Masters & only Bachelors ? I want to avoid the regret of not doing Masters - that Masters would have provided me more job security than bachelors in India.

Please friends, pour in your suggestions. I am pretty sure that there are many others like me having this doubt. Your contributions will even help those people.

Thanks!!!

(P.S. - In my current organization there isn't anyone who has done masters - including my seniors & technical architect himself)

Top Bottom