Is a quality 500W PSU sufficient? (gaming PC)

bippukt

In the zone
I am considering buying a new gaming PC. It will have an i5 and a single graphics card? No overclocking of either the graphics card or the processor. So, is a qulaity PSU like the Seasonic 520W sufficient for such a rig, for any single graphics card? In the future, if I get a beast graphics card like the GTX Titan or 780, will it be enough? I want to buy a cabinet (thinking Corsair 400R) and a PSU that will not need to be upgraded for 4-5 years, even if I upgrade my PC. Or I should I bite the bullet and go for the 620W?

Any other suggestions for good PSUs in a power/price similar range?

> Post the complete config. Which i5? What's the budget?

> If you haven't bought the components, it would be better to start a thread in "PC config" section for suggestions on best config.

OP
B

bippukt

In the zone
I will. I am doing some research myself to come up with a decent config. Currently thinking of an i5 4570 or 4670. No OC of either the CPU or the GPU. I was wondering if a 500W PSU is future proof as the price of quality 600-650W ones seem to be 6k.

I will. I am doing some research myself to come up with a decent config. Currently thinking of an i5 4570 or 4670. No OC of either the CPU or the GPU. I was wondering if a 500W PSU is future proof as the price of quality 600-650W ones seem to be 6k.

> Post the complete config. Which i5? What's the budget?

Which graphic card, how many hard disks?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
For most single GPU configuration, a 500w usually suffices.. However, You might want to let us know which GPU you are gonna be using before taking a decision.. Higher end GPUs like GTX 780 will require slightly more power and running even one on a 500w PSU will be cutting it too close

OP
B

bippukt

In the zone
Thanks for the replies guys. I will make a full config post in the appropriate forum section with all the required information as soon as I zero in on other parts.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
all the gpu's you have mentioned will scream to be OC'ed.
infact, if you dont OC them, it will a bad decision.

get a ~700W PSU, OC your card and stay safe.
for a long time. ;)

OP
B

bippukt

In the zone
Thanks, but it is unlikely that I will OC the card. There will be no AC in the room where the PC will be kept, unfortunately. Anyway, I have access to to a gaming PC with overclocked i5 (4.3 GHz) and 7950 VaporX on the weekends, so I think I will wait for a few more weeks before buying a new PC. It won't be easy to bring one from Nehru Place to Haridwar :(

Thanks, but it is unlikely that I will OC the card. There will be no AC in the room where the PC will be kept, unfortunately. Anyway, I have access to to a gaming PC with overclocked i5 (4.3 GHz) and 7950 VaporX on the weekends, so I think I will wait for a few more weeks before buying a new PC. It won't be easy to bring one from Nehru Place to Haridwar :(

> Overclocked i5? There is nothing like that.

> You can get 280x for the price of 7950 whihc is much much faster. Better start a new thread in"PC Config" section as I'm afraid you'll not get the optimum config.

bikramjitkar

In the zone
it surely means an i5 cpu which is already overclocked to the specified frequency as he mentioned the frequency. there is no need to use overclockable.

Exactly.

OP: If you're going to go for a monster graphics card like the 780, it's better to err on the higher side.

OP
B

bippukt

In the zone
C'mon guys, don't argue about small things. You know what I mean when I say i5 @ 4.3GHz :)

I will post a new thread in the appropriate section when I am about to leave for Delhi. Right now the weather is miserable.

Exactly.

OP: If you're going to go for a monster graphics card like the 780, it's better to err on the higher side.

Nah, 780 will be beyond my budget. 25k is the max for me, so R9 280X sounds good. I asked just to know how to make my PC 'future-proof' with respect to PSU, if that is even possible.

A very happy new year to you all, one day in advance :toast:

C'mon guys, don't argue about small things. You know what I mean when I say i5 @ 4.3GHz :)

I will post a new thread in the appropriate section when I am about to leave for Delhi. Right now the weather is miserable.

Nah, 780 will be beyond my budget. 25k is the max for me, so R9 280X sounds good. I asked just to know how to make my PC 'future-proof' with respect to PSU, if that is even possible.

A very happy new year to you all, one day in advance :toast:

This is a tech forum. You cannot call an i5 with turbo boost up to 4.3 GHz as overclocked i5.

Top Bottom