Is 500V UPS enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Please do not use an inverter in place of an UPS as you will end up damaging your pc sooner or later. The technology used in an inverter is the same as in a UPS but for a few small but important things. Firstly the changeover from mains to inverter is through a mechanical relay(remember the familier click) this changeover method introduces a delay that is not exceptable for computers and will cause hdd failure, PC reset or burnouts. Secondly the waveform in an inverter is highly unfiltered with lots of harmonics these are very dangerous for sensitive eqpmt . Lastly the inverter voltage is alwase load dependent starting at 260V at no load and dropping down as the load increases this too is very harmful. Thus i would recommend never to use an inverter as a UOS substitute they are two diffrent equpment for two very diffrent roles.

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
:lol: ...still wanna connect inverter to PC???
Why not go ahead and connect inverter to UPS nd frm UPS to PC???
Never tried that....but will be possible i guess....

:twisted: ...will try it as sooooon as warranty is over....!!

TheGuru

Broken In
500 VA is sufficient for around 10-min backup atleast (assuming you are not playing 'heavy' games during this time).

Though you have a 500-watt SMPS, your system will hardly be pulling 200-250 Watts for an ordinary system - upto 450 Watts for a system with current-generation high-end graphics card, sound card, multiple optical drives and other peripherals.

What really matters is the sustained load on the UPS. As long as you are not playing games or stressing your hardware, you are good-to-go. But, if you don't want to exit your game immediately (hoping that the power-cut is only for 5-10 min), you better get yourself a 800 VA UPS

AlienTech

In the zone
grinning_devil said:
:lol: ...still wanna connect inverter to PC???
Why not go ahead and connect inverter to UPS nd frm UPS to PC???
Never tried that....but will be possible i guess....

:twisted: ...will try it as sooooon as warranty is over....!!

I have connected a UPS to UPS :) because one of my UPS's works upto 150 volts but it does not work too good when there is line feedback like someone switches off a motor that send these high voltage spikes down the line and crashes the computer.. But my other UPS only works upto 190V but its very good (well was very good until one of the chips blew and I cant find any info on the chip.. RFP40N01).. Here the voltage sometimes drops to 160V in the evenings, happens every day where my wife lives.. So I think the inverter to UPS would also work.. But remember, each of them looses 20-30% of the electricity.. So you end up only getting like 50% of the power you pay for. A UPS would not work very well for something like a FAN because its an inductive circuit rather than a resistive circuit like a PC.. Although they will work, the efficiency would be rather low.. IE you only get like 60-70% of the electricity you pay for. Not sure how they fix it so it works well for a PC and a FAN.. Like the UPS/Inverter combo..

AlienTech

In the zone
Also remember, If you are using your UPS every day, In 1 year you only get half the time, The battery when new can be recharged around 200 full cycles before it looses 1/2 the capacity... The next year it becomes 33% of the time.. and on.. So you need to change the battery every year or so if you use it every day. So shutting your system down as soon as the power goes discharges the battery less so it lasts longer.. I went through 5 sets o fbattery in 3 years because I needed the system to be up during the 30 min power failure every day. So now I got a 120AH battery hooked to it. Costs enough for 10 of the small ones, but the warrenty is 5 years and I think the battery would last for 10 years. I also get like many hours from it but only tried upto like 90 minutes on it.. So not discharging the battery is important if you need to have the full 15 minutes when needed...

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
AlienTech said:
one of the chips blew and I cant find any info on the chip.. RFP40N01)..
Do you mean an RFP40N10 ? That's a 40Amp, 100V MOSFET. If you can't get a replacement, I can probably find an equivalent for you among the standard industrial types. But not right now - We're rennovating the house and everything's a mess and I don't know where I've placed my data books :-(

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
nice posting Alien.....!! :lol:

my battery is ALMOST DEAD on UPS i guess...
damn just 3/4 mins of backup...
as well as automaticaly goping to battery mode,with NO fluctuations,
NO spikes..!!

so nyone have a nice complete rate list of gud quality UPS's???

AlienTech

In the zone
pimpom said:
Do you mean an RFP40N10 ?

Lol yea thats it.. I was reading it upside down :)

$1.60 each...
RFP40N10 40A, 100V, 0.040 Ohm, N-Channel Power MOSFETs
*www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/RF/RFP40N10.html

Still got to see if I can get this in india.. Seems not many uses for this one.

The more common ones I see are the IRFZ44N or PHP44N for rs 50 Unit Price ( USD ) : $ 0.554 or so... which is 55V 50amps..

*www.semiconductors.philips.com/cgi-bin/pldb/pip/PHP44N06LT#datasheet

AlienTech

In the zone
grinning_devil said:
so nyone have a nice complete rate list of gud quality UPS's???

This would be very hard to do. You would most likely have to talk to a repair shop that has seen many of them. The components used makes a huge difference in how well they work. Like my megatec would switch off by itself and on when the power came on when there was no load on the system. It uses a rs 10 transistor to do this.. (As I found out when I blew it up while trying to hook up a fan to the unit as it got very hot because there were no vents on the unit at all.)... Now this auto switch off is a very good thing since it shuts the UPS off when your computer is not on. But you also dont want it to auto switch itself off when you turn off the monitor to increase backup time.. I tried to tell the guy who I bought one of the UPS from that there was a problem with the UPS switching itself off after 2 minutes IF I had the monitor turned off. But the computer was still on. After a few weeks I gave up on it. He could nto understand it. Kept telling me well does the computer and monitor stay on for 15 mins? I go yea.. Well then he says so whats the problem... Back to square one again.

With the megatec I can just have the modem on and it wont shut off. While if there is no load at all, It will shut off after a minute.

I think most units made by large manufacturers would have such features.

The markets a mess these days. They are selling stuff they cant even begin to understand.

AlienTech

In the zone
I wonder how good wipro is... The 500AV is like 2800 and 600 VA is 1000 more for the low cost entry ones... specs look good..

*www.wepindia.com/news/PRESSCORNER1.ASP

WeP Peripherals (new name for Wipro ePeripherals Ltd.), the leading IT peripherals solutions and services enterprise has launched eMerge 550G UPS, a unique product, which protects the PC from all Generator Waveforms and its related problems. This new UPS from WeP has been extensively tested with all key generators and in key geographies such as Lucknow where the generator usage is extensive.

WeP Peripherals (new name of Wipro ePeripherals Ltd.), the leading IT peripherals solutions and services enterprise has launched eMerge 600 VA, 360W Line Interactive UPS, which is specifically targetted towards the Home Office and SME segments. The UPS, which is being manufactured at WeP’s Hyderabad unit is capable of handling variations of voltage from 160V to 300V. WeP had commenced manufacturing of UPS at the Hyderabad unit last year and the company has made significant investments in terms of manpower and material resources in this direction.

This 600 VA, priced at Rs. 5,100 + taxes comes with a unique warranty proposition of two years on the product and battery. The customers also have the unique benefit of the 30 Day Money Back Offer.

Wipro ePeripherals Ltd. (WeP), the leading IT peripherals solutions and services enterprise has launched eMerge UPS 1000 and UPS 1000e, which are specifically targetted towards Small Workgroup protection. Both the products are line interactive 1kVA UPS’s. WeP has also commenced manufacturing of UPS at the Hyderabad unit. The company has made significant investments in terms of manpower and material resources in this direction.

The eMerge UPS 1000 provides 20 minutes backup with two PCs whereas the eMerge UPS 1000e has a provision to extend the backup time by adding additional eMerge 1000e backup extender.

Apart from the new products, WeP is the only UPS vendor offering choices in 500VA category, which is the largest in UPS segments. eMerge 500 at Rs.3995/- to customer as economical and entry level option and eMerge 525 Hi-Range which comes with widest input voltage range of 140 to 300V as the premium option for ultimate PC protection.

AlienTech

In the zone
Product Model Price

UPS Elnova TE600B2 Rs. 5640.00

UPS PowerWareLI PW 5150 Eb Rs. 5117.00

UPS Powercom KIN Rs. 6500.00

UPS Next Generation NG PRO Rs. 7500.00

UPS PowerWareLI PW 5150 Rs. 10350.00

UPS APC back BP650SI Rs. 6800.00

UPS Datex AE 1000 Rs. 8900.00

UPS APC Back BP1000I Rs. 10300.00

UPS Powercom BNT 600A Rs. 2400.00

UPS Albit Activa 500 Rs. 2400.00

UPS Next Gen NGPRO325 Rs. 2500.00

UPS Next Generation NG PRO Rs. 2800.00

UPS Ingram Vesta V500 Rs. 2800.00

UPS Deltron Zephyr Rs. 2850.00

UPS Guard 525 NX Rs. 2900.00

UPS Microtek MX600 Rs. 2999.00

UPS Hita LXM 500 Rs. 3000.00

UPS Numeric Digital 600 Rs. 4500.00

UPS Albit Colorjet Rs. 3000.00

UPS PowerWare LIPW 5150 Eb Rs. 3162.00

UPS Datex AE 500 Rs. 3200.00

UPS Aar-em Champion 525 Rs. 3200.00

UPS Guard Nexus 625MC Rs. 3300.00

UPS Quantum Aeon 500 VA-UPS MX/SOHO Rs. 3500.00

UPS Elnova T505, TE500, TE500B2 Rs. 3500.00

UPS Aplab Powerbook 700 Rs. 3600.00

UPS Powerone Little Master Rs. 3700.00

UPS Elnova TE600 Rs. 3800.00

UPS Quantum Aeon 600 VA-UPS SOHO Rs. 3900.00

UPS Wep Emerge 500 Rs. 3990.00

UPS Wep Emerge 525 Rs. 4990.00

UPS APC Back ES500 Rs. 2995.00

UPS Asus V8170SE/T/128 Rs. 5250.00

UPS GeForce FX 5200 Rs. 9000.00

UPS AirPort Extreme Card Rs. 9000.00

*www.livingdigitalindia.com/digitalshopper/result.asp?category=12

AlienTech

In the zone
The numeric 600 also looks good but at a premium price... rs4500 for the 600 va makes it even more expensive than ones from the US. But specs dont look as good as the emerge ones. But it does HAVE a connector to add an external battery easily in the back.

*www.numericups.com/digital600/digital600.htm

Digital 600 UPS

NUMERIC POWER Systems has launched Digital 600 UPS, an ideal power solution for the new generation PC. It has in-built automatic voltage regulator, full time EMI/RFI suppression, cold start capability, telephone/modem line surge protection and printer surge protection. The inaugural offer price for the UPS is Rs. 1,900.
*www.hindu.com/thehindu/biz/2002/07/15/stories/2002071500150300.htm

Dont know what special offer cause when I called them they said 4500 to me last year. Maybe I needed to be the first 1 callers to get the 1900 price.

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
AlienTech said:
Product Model Price

UPS Elnova TE600B2 Rs. 5640.00

UPS PowerWareLI PW 5150 Eb Rs. 5117.00

UPS AirPort Extreme Card Rs. 9000.00

*www.livingdigitalindia.com/digitalshopper/result.asp?category=12

:lol: :lol: :lol: ..WOW...WOW....WOW
man dat was a gud list!!!!!!

thanx a lot budddy!

AlienTech

In the zone
Saw UPS Microtek MX600 Rs. 2999.00 going fo runder 2000 including shipping. Not sure how good this is..

This is what I bought.. Its the best one off all I have used.. Even has PC control using serial port. So the PC can switch off the UPS after it powers down.
*www.megatechups.com/html/maxima.htm

AlienTech

In the zone
Got a new UPS to replace my megatec one that got blown, Its a POWERCOM, only next to APC.. model IND600A, the IND means it works from 140V instead of from 170V normally only seen that feature from another company the wipro emerge hi-range model.. It it missing some goodies like the computer communication stuff but from looking at the motherboard, it seems powercom uses the same board for almost all models and just adds or takes away a few parts.. Although I dont see the IND models on their web site.. maybe made just for india. No external battery connector either.. and also it only uses 1 7.2A battery, my other 600VA UPS has 2-7.2A batteries.. So I dont know.. Think they are doing an amerika on indians... Box says it will support 2 systems with 17inch monitors and 25-35 mins backup time.. on the UPS itself it says max load 350Watts... <scratching head> maybe I need to take a bush pill cause I dont get it...

List price was rs3000.. But they were selling it for 2100.. maybe a mistake? but they all are the same price.. And I would prefer a well known brand because they would be using KNOWN quality parts. IE looking at the mother board this UPS was designed in 2003 and the same board is used in the 400/500/600 models so it has to be well tested.

Will see how good it ends up being. Oh yea it also has 1 pass through with surge suppression. I dont have high hopes since it looks to me at least like they are pulling a fast one.

*www.powercom-usa.com/product_sub.asp?CategoryID=03

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom