is 4GB XBOX 360 console enough or go for 250GB console?

digitaltab

In the zone
hi, i am completely new to consoles and i have decided to go for xbox 360 4gb console, i want to know a few things first:
1. what are the drawbacks of 4GB console compared to 250GB console version?
Are there any games which demand space > 4GB to install on xbox?
which features will i lack if i buy 4GB version?
2. Does this hdd spce provided has something to do with games or they run directly from game dvd or what, please explain?

thankyou.:grin:

56 views so far, and not even a single reply,... C'mon Guys, please help me out on this,

rkumbhar

Broken In
1. Games do not install on HDD, they are executed from the DVD directly. HDD space is used only to save games and other contents downloaded from the internet.
2. 4Gb version will do if u are only planning to buy DVD and play games. If you are planning to buy games from windows marketplace and download a digital copy 4Gb is not enough as today single games take up a whooping 10+ Gb space. If budget is not a concern for you, I would recommend you to go for 250Gb version, as you can save ample music, videos and games on your console.

OP
digitaltab

digitaltab

In the zone
thankyou very much rkumbhar, As you told that if i run the games directly from dvd, there will be no space issue there, but the expansion and DLC patch packs and the version update patches that come after game launch are available online only, they will require hdd space to download as i think, so what can be done in that case ? Is is not possible to buy a HDD for console later as a sole accessory as i do not have got the budget to buy 250 GB console at present?

rkumbhar

Broken In
yes. You are correct. You can use external storage like a pen drive, which can be used by inserting in Xbox USB.

OP
digitaltab

digitaltab

In the zone
so this external USB pen drive will work exactly like xbox's HDD space? will i be able to install the games and run via it?
If this is true, then i can buy an external 250 GB or larger size hdd for it, and in that way i'll get more space at a cheap price.

rkumbhar

Broken In
yup..But I am not sure for external HDD. I have tried with pen drives. Better wait for someone on this post to reply for external HDD.

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
Afaik, U can install games to internal 250gb hdd but u will have to insert dvd in drive to play. After verifying disc,xbox will start reading game from hdd.

This saves laser wear abd tear.

Its strongly recommended to buy 250gb hdd.

OP
digitaltab

digitaltab

In the zone
so, will i be able to use the xbox 4GB console with a 250GB USB external HDD exactly like a 250GB console version?
Also do tell that if xbox 360 has the USB 3.0 port so that i go for external USB 3.0 HDD for this.

Champ

.NET Guru
1. Games do not install on HDD, they are executed from the DVD directly. HDD space is used only to save games and other contents downloaded from the internet.

They Do.

so this external USB pen drive will work exactly like xbox's HDD space? will i be able to install the games and run via it?
If this is true, then i can buy an external 250 GB or larger size hdd for it, and in that way i'll get more space at a cheap price.
In order to install game on a Device it should be formatted by Xbox, Maximum memory supported is 16GB, So no point of wasting a larger HDD, 16 GB pen drive is more than enough

Just think for a while what u intend to do and buy accordingly

1. Play only using Game disks - 4GB xBox
(Will not recommend, as in longer run both disks and drive will wear our, also xbox drives are noisy).

2. Play one game at a time - 4GB xBox + 16GB pendrive
(16 (~15)GB space is more than enough for game installs, even dual disk games takes ~14GB)

3. Play many games at a time (+Videos & Music) - 250GB Xbox
(If u have got the cash ;-) )

Also Buying a 4GB Xbox and adding a 250GB HDD later is a BAD idea, If u buy a Microsoft one, total cost will be more than 250GB Xbox version, If u go for a aftermarket total cost will be equal to 250GB Xbox.

Also as pointed by happy, inspite of fact you play by disk or install game on storage, disk will have to be in drive, in former its used for loading data, in later just for verification...

Happy Gaming...

OP
digitaltab

digitaltab

In the zone
thanks all for the explanations, its been clear to me now that using pen drive(that too only 16GB) is a working way with 4GB, but it will be called as JUGAAD...and this too will fail as per increasing space demands to play multi games at one time, or buy a no. of 16GB pen drives, 1 for each game...
well, i should better go for 250GB console...

gameranand

Living to Play
Microsoft is surely working on new xbox. I guess there would be some word about that soon. In E3 for sure but maybe earlier.

As for the topic
go for 250gb xbox.

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
1.most games are directly executed from the dvd drive but u hav to install games to the HDD if you're playing 2 disc games like forza 4 and battlefield 3 each of them is 20GB and cannot fit into a dvd
2.patches,DLC etc need a hard disk the 4GB memory is flash memory not a Hard disk
3.external storage is possible pen drives,ext. hdd but however big ur hdd pendrive u can only store upto 16GB PER 1 USB PORT of the xbox 360

Top Bottom