Is 11.8V on 12V rail safe?

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
yeah another meter would really confirm , but i think it is highly likely now that your CX 450 is good.. and doesn't have any defect

Last edited:
OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
thanks,btw in jonnyguru's review(and also in cybernetics' review of cx 450),he referred to some tests as CL1 and CL2-do you have any idea as to what this actually means?

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
CL is Crossload tests , there are 2 tests in most reviews , 1st in which 3.3v and 5v rails are heavily loaded and 12v rail is very lightly loaded.. this is unrealistic for most actual setups

second one is most important , in this 12v rail is heavily loaded , and 3.3v and 5v rail is very lightly loaded .. CPU and GPU draw power from 12v , so this is very realistic in any system , 3.3v is rarely or very lightly used these days and 5v is lightly-moderately used ( hard drive , USB, chipset etc )

group regulated units don't behave well when one rail is heavily loaded and other rails only lightly loaded

Last edited:
OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
That's good to know,please note that i actually have the 620w variant of the seasonic s12ii and its the newer revision thats been featured in the second review(the one with flat cables and a stamped fan mesh).

But hopefully their designs are not that different and therefore i think its safe to assume that performances of the 520w and the 620w units will be pretty similar to each other.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
the 620 watt version performs better than 520 version.. it is at 12.13v at 200 watts vs 12.31v for 520 watt version acc to this review

Hardware.Info Nederland

and 12.24v at 140 watts for 620w vs 12.37v for 520 watt version in this review

Обзор и тестирование блока питания Seasonic S12II-620 Bronze

another meter is required to finally confirm , hopefully atleast a different type/model than DT-830d .. or take it to pc shop

Last edited:
OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
A friend of mine has a mastech mas830 multimeter-do you think it would be suitable for testing my psu?on the product page for this psu on amazon the reviews in general seem pretty favourable.

Also i was going through the cybernetic's test report for cx 450 that you had referred to earlier-it seems this test was based on the unit that's produced by great wall,have they also tested the one produced by CWT?If yes,could you please post a link to the download page for its test report?

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
A friend of mine has a mastech mas830 multimeter-do you think it would be suitable for testing my psu?on the product page for this psu on amazon the reviews in general seem pretty favourable.

Also i was going through the cybernetic's test report for cx 450 that you had referred to earlier-it seems this test was based on the unit that's produced by great wall,have they also tested the one produced by CWT?If yes,could you please post a link to the download page for its test report?

yeah mastech appears to be decent

scroll down to the bottom of that report , you will see a pic of that PSU with no - RPS0053 ,your's is 0053 so that is the same one that has been tested

Last edited:
OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
hmm if thats the case then does it mean that mine was built by Great wall and not CWT as we had assumed earlier?Do the CWT made cx 450s have a different product code?

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
hmm if thats the case then does it mean that mine was built by Great wall and not CWT as we had assumed earlier?Do the CWT made cx 450s have a different product code?

that would require clear pics showing internals through fan to reasonably get a good idea.. , your appears to be CWT based on early info

The other OEM's Code is RPS0063 - click on it

this is RPS0053

Last edited:
OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
yeah another meter would really confirm , but i think it is highly likely now that your CX 450 is good.. and doesn't have any defect
I finally obtained a mastech meter today and tested my psu once again,but the results were really disappointing!
During idle,the voltage reading from a spare molex connector was around 11.72V and during load it increased slightly to about 11.76V

I also tested the pcie connector of this psu-during idle it was around 11.67-11.68v and on load it increased to around 11.71V.Hwinfo as usual gave a reading of 11.88v on idle and 11.66v on load.

To ensure that this new meter was not giving erroneous readings,i tested a spare molex connector of my seasonic psu and surprisingly its voltage on the 12v rail never dipped below 12v-on idle it was around 12.07V and during load it varied between 12.05-12.06v approximately.Hopefully this establishes that the meter isn't at fault here.

It seems the readings that were taken previously using my generic dt830d meter were off by a considerable margin(like you had predicted).

So does it mean that my cx 450 is defective?If the reports provided by cybernetics are anything to go by,a good CX 450 isn't supposed to output such low voltages-even under higher loads the voltage on the 12v rail of this psu didn't go below 11.9v in their tests.

If its indeed defective,the ideal course of action would be to rma it-however its likely to take quite a long time and there's no guarantee that the replacement unit would also not exhibit similar behaviour.Therefore would it be a good idea to ditch this psu altogether and get a newer,better one instead?Someone i know is interested in buying this psu and he's likely to give me around 2500 for it-do you think this is a good deal?

Also which psu would you recommend as its replacement?Even though its likely to leave huge hole in my pocket,i dont want to go for a cheaper unit this time around.Corsair's TX550m and 650m are available for around 5600 and 6400 respectively but i am rather wary of going for corsair again after this bitter experience with 2 of their psus(Vs 450 that i had earlier and my current cx 450).Or should i just purchase a seasonic s12ii psu instead(as my experience with my seasonic psu has so far been positive).Please advice.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
I finally obtained a mastech meter today and tested my psu once again,but the results were really disappointing!
During idle,the voltage reading from a spare molex connector was around 11.72V and during load it increased slightly to about 11.76V

I also tested the pcie connector of this psu-during idle it was around 11.67-11.68v and on load it increased to around 11.71V.Hwinfo as usual gave a reading of 11.88v on idle and 11.66v on load.

To ensure that this new meter was not giving erroneous readings,i tested a spare molex connector of my seasonic psu and surprisingly its voltage on the 12v rail never dipped below 12v-on idle it was around 12.07V and during load it varied between 12.05-12.06v approximately.Hopefully this establishes that the meter isn't at fault here.

It seems the readings that were taken previously using my generic dt830d meter were off by a considerable margin(like you had predicted).

So does it mean that my cx 450 is defective?If the reports provided by cybernetics are anything to go by,a good CX 450 isn't supposed to output such low voltages-even under higher loads the voltage on the 12v rail of this psu didn't go below 11.9v in their tests.

If its indeed defective,the ideal course of action would be to rma it-however its likely to take quite a long time and there's no guarantee that the replacement unit would also not exhibit similar behaviour.Therefore would it be a good idea to ditch this psu altogether and get a newer,better one instead?Someone i know is interested in buying this psu and he's likely to give me around 2500 for it-do you think this is a good deal?

Also which psu would you recommend as its replacement?Even though its likely to leave huge hole in my pocket,i dont want to go for a cheaper unit this time around.Corsair's TX550m and 650m are available for around 5600 and 6400 respectively but i am rather wary of going for corsair again after this bitter experience with 2 of their psus(Vs 450 that i had earlier and my current cx 450).Or should i just purchase a seasonic s12ii psu instead(as my experience with my seasonic psu has so far been positive).Please advice.

hmm..

well if your meter was showing 11.72v on idle with CX450 , then it will show around 12.03v with seasonic , because with your previous meter it was 12.27 with cx 450 and 12.55v with seasonic on idle, so the difference between seasonic and cx 450 is 0.30v , this result was expected if CX 450 showed 11.72v

but this still doesn't tell us whether your mastech meter is accurate or not .. say for example if your mastech meter is under-reporting then CX 450 could well be outputting 11.90v and then Seasonic may be outputting 12.20v on idle (, in most seasonic reviews that i saw of 620 watt version , at idle the voltages are in 12.15-12.20 range .. so 11.85-11.90v for CX 450 is not bad )

to need to confirm it's accuracy you need to test other devices .. you have your modem adapter right that showed 5.5 on 5.2v rating ,test that as a start..
but you need to test a few more devices with higher voltage output like 12v , 20v output .. because at 5v these meters may still not be that off the mark

check with laptop charger of your friend , adapter of your monitor or your TV ?

even my airtel set top box adapter is rated for 12v .. check yours

test with atleast 3 different devices

only then you will get a good rough idea if this meter is also off or not.. or off by how much ? these meters tend to go out of calibration

coming to CX 450

we have 2 tests of your same exact PSU , one by Cybenetics and 1 by 80 plus ( that i linked in previous post ) where it shows excellent voltage regulation ( although 80 plus doesn't have crossload tests ) and in addition also that CWT made Cx 650 review that i linked arlier

so yours has to be a slightly defective piece to have such voltages

Let's just assume even if your Cx 450 is showing 11.70v , while these results are not good but they aren't dangerous either that you need to buy another power supply entirely .. ATX specs allow for upto 11.40v .. so even 11.45v is not harmful for hardware .. RMA'ing would be good as it is free but buying entirely different power supply is just totally unnecessary

the most important part is the change in voltages on load , with VS450 i am pretty sure you would have noticed a way bigger drop than CX 450

also please post 3-4 clear pics of your PSU through fan showing as many internals at different angles..

Last edited:
OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Thanks so much for your response,yes i too have a airtel dth stb at home and a couple of other devices as well that are powered by dc adapters-let me check them and i will post my findings shortly.

The reason i want to move on from this psu is that i am really fed up with this repeated testing and retesting which doesn't seem to provide any conclusive or fruitful results.Are Corsair's new gold certified TXM psus better than these CX psus?

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
here are some closeups of my CX 450:

single large capacitor

view of transformer

From its physical appearance,it appears to be a cwt made unit.

Top Bottom