Is 11.8V on 12V rail safe?

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Ah okay. Something that EVGA was doing but much worse. Great Wall is still ok though shouldn't be much of a quality difference between CWT and Great Wall. Corsair will still have to honour 5 yrs warranty in any case.

Corsair HX, TX-M and CX finally go live on 80 Plus - jonnyGURU Forums

as per jonnyguru's comment .. lower efficient one is CWT on 80 plus list .. which has a number - RPS0053 , if you can find this on box .. then it can be distinguished .. Kartechnology has 1 , ask him if he can see this

Well if you are going to get a GTX 970 then you should just save up and get a TX550M. Even the old outdated Seasonic S12II is still a tier higher than the new CX.

this is why tiers are subjective and only good as a starting point .. decide based on reviews/ comparison.. and i think that tier list hasn't been properly updated yet less/no reviews maybe.. visit their forum instead there are recent long discussions regarding s12ii based on pros and cons vs other newly launched models

see this link of CWT made CX .. this is overall better than s12ii .. there are only like 2 main mediocre caps and rest all you see mostly are solid caps or jap caps apart from those 2-3 tiny ones

S12ii is less safe and doesn't have even UVP on 12v rail , No OCP . no OTP , older design.. it only has advantage of fully jap cap and FDB fan

*club.dns-shop.ru/hardware/Обзор-и-тестирование-блока-питания-Corsair-CX650/

Last edited:
OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
@chimera:You are right.But according to johnnyguru's psu tier list,s12II bronze psus are at tier 3 whereas CX (2017 edition)models are at tier 4-so hopefully,the latter aren't too bad either.

Although i have mentioned that i may buy a 970,it was merely just speculation and i am not entirely sure if i will ever do that(the reason being that most people who own such gpus usually demand astronomical prices while selling them off,therefore finding one at a good price is really difficult nowadays).So if i get a low power demanding gpu instead like the 950/1050 etc,i suppose the CX 450 will be adequate for it,right?

@gta5:How do you manage to dig up these elusive reviews from foreign websites?:D
Thanks a lot for sharing it though-i was looking for a comprehensive review of a newer CX unit but couldn't find any-the few ones that are available are particularly for the modular variants of these psus.So i will definitely check it out!

Last edited:

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
@chimera:You are right.But according to johnnyguru's psu tier list,s12II bronze psus are at tier 3 whereas CX (2017 edition)models are at tier 4-so hopefully,the latter aren't too bad either.

Although i have mentioned that i may buy a 970,it was merely just speculation and i am not entirely sure if i will ever do that(the reason being that most people who own such gpus usually demand astronomical prices while selling them off,therefore finding one at a good price is really difficult nowadays).So if i get a low power demanding gpu instead like the 950/1050 etc,i suppose the CX 450 will be adequate for it,right?

@gta5:How do you manage to dig up these elusive reviews from foreign websites?:D
Thanks a lot for sharing it though-i was looking for a comprehensive review of a newer CX unit but couldn't find any-the few ones that are available are particularly for the modular variants of these psus.So i will definitely check it out!

with CWT version , with a 970 it should be fine for 4 years ( based on early limited info/pics )

with 970 your system would be consuming roughly around 300 watts or less .. get the Cx550 version then it will be less stressed .. but ofcourse if you can, try going for Corsair TXM at Rs 5700 from vedant by saving up after a month or 2

This Cx review was posted by someone else on jonnyguru's forum , That VS 450 review i came across after searching , when i was looking for a review VS 450 CP-xxx96 model no.. probably the only one on web

Last edited:
OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Bought cx 450 today but haven't used it yet-so it remains to be seen how its gonna perform....

Wanted to buy the cx 550 actually but ran out of cash,so had to settle for this unit-hope it wont disappoint.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Bought cx 450 today but haven't used it yet-so it remains to be seen how its gonna perform....

Wanted to buy the cx 550 actually but ran out of cash,so had to settle for this unit-hope it wont disappoint.

congrats :) , that was bought fast while we were still discussing ..

Last edited:
OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
i bought it so soon as i have been occasionally hearing strange "whirring" noises from within my pc that seem to be originating from my vs450-so i didn't want to risk using it much longer as i was afraid of what might happen if it decided to pop under heavy load and take the rest of the components with it!

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
I have installed the new psu-however the results obtained with it seem even more disappointing than what i had anticipated-under load conditions the voltage on its 12v rail drops to around 11.6V,which is even lower than that of my VS450,and while idling it stays at around 11.95V.

Given that this a 80 plus bronze certified psu,this is rather odd to say the least.Is there any reason to be concerned about this?

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
11.6v is really bad for a DC-DC unit and hence i don't think it is accurate at all , so ignore it

software readings are off many times , you can check in BIOS but to be really sure you need to test it with multimeter..

Last edited:
OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Yes i used hwinfo.In bios it shows around 11.88V-is it safe to continue using this psu if it really is providing around 11.6V on the 12V rail under load?

heres a screenshot:
Untitled

Last edited:

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
yes it is safe alright , safe upto 11.4 v , but i highly doubt it actually is doing 11.6v under load , take your pc to a repair shop and ask him to test it under load with multimeter

Last edited:

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Isn't there someone else on the forum with a CX450? Could ask him how much he gets. Also are the cables properly plugged in?
Bios usually will be correct and since you already saw the results with VS450 then this is bad. If the voltage reporting was error prone on your mobo then VS450 should also had been lower as well.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
well,does it mean the unit may be defective/faulty?Can someone please provide the link to some tutorials where its shown how to test the 12v rail of psu without actually disconnecting it from the mobo?Can the 12 V readings be taken from any molex/pci-e connectors somehow?

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
BIOS might be usually correct , not always..

Power Supply FAQs

Corsair TX-850V2 on its way out? - jonnyGURU Forums

Why do motherboards suck at reading voltages? - jonnyGURU Forums

Last edited:
OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
^thanks for the links Gta5,i am seriously fed up with this voltage issue and just want to be able to use my computer without any further glitches or interruptions.Do you think its ok if i ignore the readings(which are supposed to be within ATX spec,even though they are low)and just continue using this psu?

are there any symptoms of system instability that can be observed when the voltages on 12V rail is too low or high?

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
^thanks for the links Gta5,i am seriously fed up with this voltage issue and just want to be able to use my computer without any further glitches or interruptions.Do you think its ok if i ignore the readings(which are supposed to be within ATX spec,even though they are low)and just continue using this psu?

are there any symptoms of system instability that can be observed when the voltages on 12V rail is too low or high?

yeah it's fine .. ignore those software readings for now , but to make sure you need a multimeter , no other way..

, take it to a PC repair shop and get it tested there on load for 15-20 minutes and all .. he'll take 50-100 Rs max

From what i know , if voltage gets low enough your system may become unstable.. if you have an Asus mobo your anti surge potection would likely kick in first...

but at low voltages , your components may draw more current in order to keep working at same level and that can be harmful..

At dangerous levels PSU would/should shut down because Under voltage protection (UVP) and Over Voltage Protection(OVP) would kick in .. but it depends at what voltage levels the protections are set at and may vary from PSU to PSU.. without proper testing nothing can be known..

Can low power damage components? ( Mcsteel's reply )
jonnyGURU Forums - View Single Post - UnderVoltage Protection (UVP)?

DC-DC PSU should not have such low readings..

Last edited:
OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
i will attempt to test it with a multimeter-but is it safe to carry out the test by taking readings from a molex connector while the 24pin atx connector is still attached to the mainboard?

I dont want to remove the 24pin connector again just for testing as doing so is very cumbersome and requires a lot of effort.Can you let me know the proper procedure to check the voltage on the 12v rail using this method?

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
thanks,i will look into it.I have made a post on this issue at johnnyguru's forum.

Low voltage on the 12V rail in a brand new Cx450 - jonnyGURU Forums

lets see what they might have to say about this!

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
i will attempt to test it with a multimeter-but is it safe to carry out the test by taking readings from a molex connector while the 24pin atx connector is still attached to the mainboard?

I dont want to remove the 24pin connector again just for testing as doing so is very cumbersome and requires a lot of effort.Can you let me know the proper procedure to check the voltage on the 12v rail using this method?

Take it PC shop get it tested for 50-100 Rs there , it is better than making a mistake because of inexperience and have a short somewhere or risk getting shock..

Last edited:
Top Bottom