Internet over wireless connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

vampiredevil

Hell is Ma PlayGround
Hi All,

I am running a win-xp machine having a Lan based internet connection which obtains IP address automatically. Recently i bought a Belkin 802.11g wifi network adapter.
Now i want to connect my iPod touch to this wireless network. But when i set up the connection in the wireless network, the iPod just can't find it. Once with some hit and trial, i managed to connect the iPod with the wireless network but there was no internet now.

I tried the same thing on my friend's laptop. He is using a wired lan based internet connection running win-vista and sharing his wifi connection. In vista you just have to create a adhoc network and click the share internet option, and the iPod gets connected with internet access. But the same menus can't be found in XP.

I think i have written a long description. :?
Can any1 plz provide any resolution for this issue!!!:cry:

Thanks,
Anup

acewin

Point Blanc
will go to my frns home he got the things of your reqs and try setting up the wireless, but am sure he wont lemme touch he ipod touch LOL,

OP
V

vampiredevil

Hell is Ma PlayGround
The wireless adapter i have bought can be found in the below link

*catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=179211

Anymore updates guys???

Thanks,
Anup

acewin

Point Blanc
how much did it cost to you.

have you setp a wireless network or something so as the iPod Touch is able to connect to it.

OP
V

vampiredevil

Hell is Ma PlayGround
It cst me 800buks.
I created an adhoc(computer to computer) network open connection.
The problem now s dat the ipod gets connected with this network but I am nt able 2 share the internet connection(The internet connection is through wired lan). When i use safari on the touch, it displays an error msg saing that "it it not conneted to internet"

Thanks,
Anup

OP
V

vampiredevil

Hell is Ma PlayGround
Hi All,

Finally i found the way how to connect my iPod Touch to my Wired Lan PC through Wi-Fi. The internet is now up and running smoothly on the Touch now.:razz::razz::razz:

Here is the step by step procedure for any members who are currently facing this issue.

1. Open Network Connections, first right click your wired lan based internet connection>Properties>Advanced and select "Allow other computers to connect through this computer's internet connection". Hit ok and close the window.

2. Again right click the wireless network connection and select properties. In General tab>Select Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) and input the following ip 192.168.137.1 and let the subnet mask be 255.255.255.0. Leave the DNS server address field blank. The default gateway should not have any value.

Then click Wireless Networks tab>Click Advanced>select Computer-to-Computer (ad hoc) networks only. Tick the box "Automatically connect to non-preferred networks". Hit Add a new connection>Give any name as per your wish>then select Network Connection as - Open and Data Encryption - Disabled. Uncheck the field "Connect even if this network is not broadcasting" and in the connection tab select the field "Connect when this network is in range". Hit Ok and close this tab. The adhoc connection part is done.

4. Click "View available wireless network". Hi refresh and ur created network should appear here. Select it and hit Connect. The connection will b established in due time. This completes the PC part of the connection.

5. Now goto iPod>Settings>Wi-Fi>Switch it ON. Ur created connection should appear here. Select it to connect to that network. It should connect easily.

Now the PC and iPod are in a Wi-Fi connection with no internet available. This is because the iPod keeps picking up different ip range from that which u have provided i.e 192.168.137.1 and subnet mask "255.255.255.0". For this particular reason i was stuck for so many days.

So to get this resolved, hit the tiny arrow near the selected Wi-Fi network that you have created. Go to the Static tab and input these values in the fields:
IP Address: 192.168.137.19
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.137.1
DNS: This is the value that your wired lan connection uses. Get it from ur pc and enter it here.

Go back to Wi-Fi networks. The connections will refresh again and then...;-)Whola u hav Internet on your touch. Open Safari and confirm the same.:lol::lol:

This really was little issue that needed a lot of time to figure out but finally gt it resolved

Leave a thanks if I helped u in any way...If you have any further queries, leave a post n i will try my best to get it solved. :p:p

Thanks,
Anup

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom