Internet Explorer Favorites error

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmp_vivek

In the zone
Hey all,
I am having an issue with my Favorites button in the IE. I can open the tab, but I don't know how, but I have lost all of my favorites. I cannot add any pages to Favorites either. So, that tab is useless now. Please help. Thanks.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
I assume that you are using Windows XP
You need to edit the registry..
>Start
>Run
>regedit

Navigate to..

[HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserShell Folders]

Set the Favorites path to %USERPROFILE%\Favorites
The value should be REG_EXPAND_SZ value, not REG_SZ

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
I regret for late reply. Didn't find enough time to reply these days..

>Start
>Run
>regedit

Navigate to..
[HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\UserShell Folders]

Right-Click Favourites (towards right side) under UserShellFolders and select 'Modify'
Change the value. Set the Favorites path to %USERPROFILE%\Favorites
The value should be REG_EXPAND_SZ value, not REG_SZ
I have attached snap for your assistance.

*img80.imageshack.us/img80/8708/regeditrkkyk4.jpg

OP
V

vmp_vivek

In the zone
Hey thanks for that reply, but now though the value reads as what you have stated, nothing helps! Please help me again. Thanks for all these. :)

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
You need to do it exactly. Check the spells too. It should be exactly as shown in the snap. All the values in the column 'Name' , 'Type' and 'Data' should match. Check it out once more. Then restart the system.
Now try to add favourites in IE...It should work.

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
@ Kiran_tech_mania

Hey r doing a good job but be kind on dial-up users & just spent a little time to edit ur images.

ice_kota

Right off the assembly line
Hi,
To uninstall and reinstall IE 6.x for windows XP try the steps below .
To repair Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x for Windows XP:
  1. Note: Before proceeding, ensure that your Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM is available.
    <LI class=oltexthelp>From the Start menu, choose Run. <LI class=oltexthelp>In the Open field, type sfc /scannow <LI class=oltexthelp>Click the OK button.
  2. Restart the computer when the System File Checker program finishes.
Alternate fix to repair Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x for Windows XP:
  1. Note: Before proceeding, ensure that your Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM is available.
    <LI class=oltexthelp>From the Start menu, select Search, and choose Files or Folders. <LI class=oltexthelp>Click the More Advanced Options item and ensure that there is a checkmark beside the Search hidden files and folder option. <LI class=oltexthelp>In the Name field, type ie.inf <LI class=oltexthelp>In the Look in drop-down menu, click C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder. <LI class=oltexthelp>Click the Search Now button. The correct ie.inf file should be located in the Windows\Inf folder. <LI class=oltexthelp>Right click the ie.inf file and choose Install from the drop-down menu that appears.
  2. Restart the computer when the computer finishes copying files.
To uninstall and reinstall IE 7 for windows XP try the steps mentioned in the link below.

*support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;917964&sd=rss&spid=8722

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom