Internet Download LIMITER!!!

niravjadwani

Amatur Modder
First of all, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I just got a BSNL plan which offers 1.5 GB normal usage at 2 mbps and UNLIMITED Night Usage from 2 to 8 in the night.

Now, to get the most of the connection, I want to setup my pc to start the downloading of files from 2 AM and stop at 8 AM in the morning.

While the Download Manager I use have a Scheduler of its own, I just want to be extra carefull and lock away the bandwidth by restricting access to the Internet in the day(non unlimited free period).

I tried NET LIMITER 3 trial, but it is not able to stop the net usage.

Can anyone suggest me a good software which will enable me to setup my pc to use net only at night 2 to 8 am? Preferably Freeware?

Thanks in advance.

hansraj

In the zone
First you shall have to provide the information that you have to dial up for the internet access everytime you switch on your modem or your internet is available from the moment you switch on the modem?
Because in the first case its easy to connect/disconnect internet connection at your will, however in second case you will have to switch off the modem physically at a specific time to avoid any kind of download!! Failing which the downloads even done in the free download time are uniformly averaged till the time your modem remains on beyond morning 8 O clock.

OP
N

niravjadwani

Amatur Modder
First you shall have to provide the information that you have to dial up for the internet access everytime you switch on your modem or your internet is available from the moment you switch on the modem?
Because in the first case its easy to connect/disconnect internet connection at your will, however in second case you will have to switch off the modem physically at a specific time to avoid any kind of download!! Failing which the downloads even done in the free download time are uniformly averaged till the time your modem remains on beyond morning 8 O clock.

I have BSNL adsl modem, and I have set it to dial to connect to internet everytime I swith on the modem..

I am a bit confused. You are saying if I connect to Internet before the free usage time, I will be charged for the data communicated during the free hour also?

Then may be I will also require a software which will dial the connection after the free time starts...... complicated:-((

a_to_z123

asia://india/ka/bangalore
I posted a tutorial quite a long time back about the exact same thing in the Tutorials section.

Here is the link:-
Code:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/tutorials/119666-automate-bsnl-home-500c-downloads-windows-vista.html

hansraj

In the zone
I have BSNL adsl modem, and I have set it to dial to connect to internet everytime I swith on the modem..

I am a bit confused. You are saying if I connect to Internet before the free usage time, I will be charged for the data communicated during the free hour also?

Then may be I will also require a software which will dial the connection after the free time starts...... complicated:-((

yes thats true... the explanation is given below how it actually works:

1. Your internet got connected at 0730AM and remained connected till 0830AM(1 hr of connection).

2. You downloaded 500mb of data between 0730 till 0800 and 0 kb from 0800 to 0830.

3. But BSNL website will very beautifully divide this 500mb data from 0730 to 0830 since your connection was contineous and you shall have 250mb of data consumed from your plan. Thats cheating but its India and we are dealing with BSNL.

So always make sure that your internet connection is disconnected at 0755AM (keep 5 mins of buffer always because BSNL servers are not always synced correctely). And reconnect again before continuing any browsing.

If your modem connects to internet automatically when you switch on the modem(without any dial up effort from PC) then you will have to switch off the modem once at 0755. For this purpose you can purchase "Timers" which are made in china and price varies Rs 400-800 depending upon u r city.

I am posting an image of a timer which is not the same one but its appearance is very close to the timer I am talking about.

*www.humboldtmfg.com/images/products/large/H-3575A.jpg

since you said that you are dialing up I guess the method told by a_to_z123 will work for you or you can check my suggestion on the link

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/software-q/135591-automatic-download.html

sukesh1090

Adam young
hey today i switched on the modem at 1:55Am and started downloading from around 2:05AM and downloaded around 4GB till 7:55AM then will i be charged for this as i have started the modem at 1:55AM?

hansraj

In the zone
I know for sure what happens when u continue downloading beyond 0800 and I have mentioned in my earlier post but I cant say for sure what will happen in your case.

sukesh1090

Adam young
i checked my usage and they have taken out that 8 minutes session(actually started on 1:51AM) until 2:00AM and charged 131MB of usage.:cry:

Last edited:

hansraj

In the zone
hmm... so they average out the total consumption without actually monitoring the exact time. This means a pc which is switched on from mid-night to next midnight and having downloads only during 2 to 8 will have the downloaded data divided uniformly across 24 hours if the internet connection is continuous!!! Thats robbery!!!
Imagine 8 gb of download at night and then finding it spread across 24 hrs as 6 gb of paid download and only 2 gb against 2 to 8!!!

Top Bottom