Internet disconnection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

aritrap

Mobile Addict
I have a Siemens SL2_141 modem and a BSNL broadband connection. My modem is configured in PPPoE mode(the BSNL account username and password are stored in the modem.) So after I turn on my modem and the DSL light stabilises, I can surf. I do not have to dial anything.

From yesterday, 5 mins after I turn on the modem, the internet connection stops working. Whatever website I want to access, does not open. Also if I enter 192.168.1.1, I am unable to access it. All my downloads are stopped also.
Only after I switch off and turn on my modem am I able to access internet again. The 192.168.1.1 page also opens now. But after 5 mins, the same thing happens again.

The modem is only 7-8 months old.

Is it a problem with my modem or with my LAN card or phone line????

I am attaching some screenshots of my 192.168.1.1 page:
*img515.imageshack.us/img515/9056/dslrouterdeviceinfo.jpg

*img687.imageshack.us/img687/9056/dslrouterdeviceinfo.jpg

Xeno

AMD - Aaja Meri Darling
Your router stats indicate everything is fine.

Your SNR (signal to noise ratio) margin is on the much better side and Attenuation is very very less (possibly the best). So definitely its not an line issue. If you find the telephone noise to be zero, then your line is really good.

here's mine, i have a BSNL connection but a UT Starcom router.

SNR Margin (dB): 34.1 7.0
Attenuation (dB): 18.0 6.3

Now, try this.

Go to start > run
type "ping 192.168.1.1" you should see the response from the router. If it does nothing, then there's a connectivity issue between your router and computer.

Now after your connection stops working, try pinging it again. Post the screenshots of the ping test when the connection is working, and after it isnt.

Try to get some other pc/laptop and try connecting and testing. LAN cable might not be faulty since the connection does work for 5 mins, it could be an issue with the system / ethernet controller. I am assuming that the splitter for the voice and data cables is working normally. I dont know how to diagonise if there's a problem with the splitter.

Last edited:
OP
A

aritrap

Mobile Addict
I tried to ping 192.168.1.1 after my connection stops working.
But it says that there is no response. All the 4 packets of data sent were lost.

I will try to connect the modem with my brother's laptop in the evening. But I had been facing this problem on his laptop from many months ago.
Even if I connect through ethernet or wi-fi, I would be able to access the internet for some 20-30 mins and then everything would stop working. I did not have any such problem with my desktop during that time. So I thought that maybe something was wrong with my brother's laptop.
Now it seems that that there is some problem in my PC as well.

I will post the ping screenshots later.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
I forgot to mention that I had even tried to connect the phone line to the modem directly, eliminating the splitter in between.

But even then, the same thing happened.

Last edited:
OP
A

aritrap

Mobile Addict
This is the Device Status page today:
*img690.imageshack.us/img690/3476/dslstatus.jpg

When my internet is working, the ping report:
*img97.imageshack.us/img97/363/ping1u.jpg

After 5 mins when the connection stops working, the ping report:
*img695.imageshack.us/img695/1205/ping2z.jpg

Xeno

AMD - Aaja Meri Darling
Hmmm this is strange.. try to go the broadband office (where they have all the servers/equipment and can diagonise your router.) take the router + power adapter, lan cable you are using and have it tested there for a while at least. If it works there then there's likely a problem on your side.

Ah since BSNL is a sarkari office just be patient and dont hesitate to offer an invitation for chai paani outside ;) it works wonders. I had an issue with the router once but taking it there really solved the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom