Internal hdd to external

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Hi everyone,
What all will be required to convert my internal hdds to external?
Which casing is best right now and what all cables and adapters will I need?

TIA
aby

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
get an USB TO IDE /SATA CABLE. i have used this one Tech-Com affordable, latest, , Mobile Phones, Computer Parts, DVD, LCD Monitor, Keyboard, Speakers. it can be used with IDE, SATA or Laptop HDDs.

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Sata only one is 250 gb seagate baracuda 7200.10 and other is wd blue 500 gb.
So this would need to be plugged into the wall? It will not be a portable solution. Right?

Last edited:
Sata only one is 250 gb seagate baracuda 7200.10 and other is wd blue 500 gb.
So this would need to be plugged into the wall? It will not be a portable solution. Right?
Caddy for 2.5" drives are easy to get, but caddy for 3.5" drives exist as well, like this:
*www.amazon.in/External-Drive-Laptop-Desktop-Included/dp/B08454QK3J/

Just check reviews before purchase. Apparently, caddy for 3.5" drives need an external power adapter. But most 2.5" caddy works via power fromUSB.

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
My wd is undetectable. Are the enclosures strong enough to protect drives from the mishandling by data extraction services?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
My wd is undetectable. Are the enclosures strong enough to protect drives from the mishandling by data extraction services?
No, normal ones wouldn't be. I've seen friends lose data. There might be stronger ones available but they tend to be more expensive. Nothing is 100% foolproof solution.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Is your WD HDD not getting detected by the motherboard ? If so there's very less chance it would be detected by any external enclosure.

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Yes I know but I want to keep it for the data. If keep it without casing anyway dust will destroy it so ill keep it in casing and then send it for data recovery whenever we are moving about normally.
OR
Would you suggest repairing it myself with diy videos? In that case I won't have guarantee for data recovery.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes I know but I want to keep it for the data. If keep it without casing anyway dust will destroy it so ill keep it in casing and then send it for data recovery whenever we are moving about normally.
OR
Would you suggest repairing it myself with diy videos? In that case I won't have guarantee for data recovery.

Use a anti static bag and Put some silica gel packs inside. Seal it well with tape. Your HDD shall be fine.

*www.amazon.in/ESD-Shielding-Bag-Hard-Disk/dp/B07TMQDRSQ/r
*www.amazon.in/bvslf-Moisture-absorbents-Dehumidifier-Wardrobe/dp/B07GQY4P59/

HDD can go bad for multiple reasons. If the PCB is fried then a pcb from a compatible HDD is enough to bring it back but if there's some spindle, platter etc. issue inside then taking professional help is better.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Hi everyone,
What all will be required to convert my internal hdds to external?
Which casing is best right now and what all cables and adapters will I need?

TIA
aby
First check in forum if anyone here has dead external HDD. Those cases can be re-used by you. These OEM cases are extremely well build and are much better than cheap cases that you can buy online or in stores.

Top Bottom