Internal HDD partitioning doubt. Help

jkultimate

GAMING IS NOT A CRIME
Got a Seagate 1 TB Internal HDD.
Currently have a WD 160gb Internal HDD

So, my plan is to install new Windows in 1 TB HDD. And making that 160gb as back up drive.

What sort of partitioning you guys suggest.?
Alloting 100 GB for OS drive.
Rest how..?

And Can I make my older 160 GB to a single 160GB without loosing that data?
Currently has 4 partitions.

​Thanks :)

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
allot 100gb for OS and two 400gb partitions.
you can merge the data on 160gb drive using partition management tools like easeus partition manager.(better free the os drive just after installing os on new drive). take a BACKUP first in case of any troubles.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I wouldn't recommend 400 GB's drive. Should be smaller like 150 or 200. More the amount of single drive, more the chances of data loss, in case something happens to a drive.
Also if a drive is large, if something happens to it, recovering data from it would be troublesome because of the fact that you should recover the files from the affected drive to some "other" drive.

OP
jkultimate

jkultimate

GAMING IS NOT A CRIME
allot 100gb for OS and two 400gb partitions.
you can merge the data on 160gb drive using partition management tools like easeus partition manager.(better free the os drive just after installing os on new drive). take a BACKUP first in case of any troubles.

I wouldn't recommend 400 GB's drive. Should be smaller like 150 or 200. More the amount of single drive, more the chances of data loss, in case something happens to a drive.
Also if a drive is large, if something happens to it, recovering data from it would be troublesome because of the fact that you should recover the files from the affected drive to some "other" drive.

Thanks guys,
From your suggestions, am thinking of a single 400/300 GB for games and 2 or 3 200 GB units :)
and ya @rijinpk1 , I will be formatting the old OS drive of the 160gb drive. After it just merge it with mentioned software.. right?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks guys,
From your suggestions, am thinking of a single 400/300 GB for games and 2 or 3 200 GB units :)
and ya @rijinpk1 , I will be formatting the old OS drive of the 160gb drive. After it just merge it with mentioned software.. right?

yups. you can use easeus partition manager to merge your drives.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
first of all safely recovering data to another drive means to another hdd & not like from D to E drive meaning size of individual drives like D/E etc doesn't matter.it is always recommended to use smaller hdd as OS & bigger hdd as storage drive.reason is if OS drive gets corrupted because of software/hardware/virus issues 7 became unbootable you can just disconnect the storage drive & use it in another system/usb casing to access stored data.

OP
jkultimate

jkultimate

GAMING IS NOT A CRIME
first of all safely recovering data to another drive means to another hdd & not like from D to E drive meaning size of individual drives like D/E etc doesn't matter.it is always recommended to use smaller hdd as OS & bigger hdd as storage drive.reason is if OS drive gets corrupted because of software/hardware/virus issues 7 became unbootable you can just disconnect the storage drive & use it in another system/usb casing to access stored data.

Hmm I thought of that, using old 160gb as single OS drive, but it is old as hell. And its WD, faced couple of blue screen of death, and some 000000x000000x3 ish bad sector error thingy...
And it is slow too.
So no choice here :/

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you can afford buy the cheapest sata hdd(should be ~2.5k) & use that as OS drive.it will be better in the long run.also use crystaldisk info portable zip version(no need to install) & check your hdd health at least once in 2-3 days.

Top Bottom