Intellectually inspiring, thought provoking, mind boggling SCI FI MOVIES!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
The OP says on the previous page, and in his first post, in the PS, that while he did add the words intellectually inspiring and though provoking to the title, he doesn't mind if people add any sci-fi movie to the thread.

Another one: Starship Troopers (1997).

There is a film the name of which I don't remember; it is set in a desert in which there are only two characters, one human and one alien, and throughout most of the movie, they search for and try to kill the other. This is a low budget movie, and doesn't have much action, and if I remember correctly, doesn't have a very high rating on imdb, but many people really liked it.
Enemy Mine (1985) - IMDb

Chronicles of Riddick & Guardian of the Galaxy are entertaining but certainly not intellectual,inspiring,thought provoking or mind boggling which is the title of this thread.Just add a note saying for entertainment factor as this would help distinguish these movies from various other movies here which really do justice to this thread's title.

OP
Ronnie012

Ronnie012

Earthling
Enemy Mine (1985) - IMDb

Chronicles of Riddick & Guardian of the Galaxy are entertaining but certainly not intellectual,inspiring,thought provoking or mind boggling which is the title of this thread.Just add a note saying for entertainment factor as this would help distinguish these movies from various other movies here which really do justice to this thread's title.
I think better get rid of the adjectives and rename thread title as Sci fi movies thread.

Added - Enemy Mine

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then this thread would lose its advantage.There are lots of scifi movies & many of them are not worth watching.Many of the movies mentioned here though are worth a watch.That is why this thread is only 6 pages till now.If people start adding every scifi movie here this thread too will run into dozens of pages with good worthy movies buried deep in the thread.e.g.Enemy Mine didn't do well on box office but it is a good movie with some thought provoking & inspiring themes & very few people here know about it.Now compare this to Chronicles of Riddick & Guardians of the Galaxy which most people know about & thus don't actually need to be mentioned here.

ssb1551

Technomancer
Then this thread would lose its advantage.There are lots of scifi movies & many of them are not worth watching.Many of the movies mentioned here though are worth a watch.That is why this thread is only 6 pages till now.If people start adding every scifi movie here this thread too will run into dozens of pages with good worthy movies buried deep in the thread.e.g.Enemy Mine didn't do well on box office but it is a good movie with some thought provoking & inspiring themes & very few people here know about it.Now compare this to Chronicles of Riddick & Guardians of the Galaxy which most people know about & thus don't actually need to be mentioned here.

Very well said @whitestar_999 & that was what I wanted to convey when I mentioned that GoG and Chronicles of Riddick are not "Intellectually inspiring, thought provoking, mind boggling" movies. Also the point of creating the thread is to find lesser known gems like Enemy Mine which many wouldn't have heard of. GoG and Chronicles of Riddick are mainstream commercial movies which is completely devoid of any thought provoking content let alone mind boggling.

OP
Ronnie012

Ronnie012

Earthling
Agreed. But it's hard to categorize a movie into a certain genre without actually watching it. Also like beauty that lies in the eys of the beholder, inspiration also lies in tbe mind of tbe viewer/receiver. What one might perceive as a piece of art and intellect others might perceive as trash and vice versa.

Anyway I'll add a note to the movies I perceive as having entertainment value more in comparison to intellectual value. But then again my perception of entertainment vs intellectualism might differ from some of the members, :)

OP
Ronnie012

Ronnie012

Earthling
Okay so I have updated the list. Deleted the duplicates and added a sidenote against the movies which I think have good entertaining values! :)

sohan_92

In the zone
Life (2017) - IMDb

Not an intellectually inspiring, but definitely thoughts provoking and mind boggling. The ending has an unpredictable twist.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
To be frank it felt like a lesser version of Alien which is one of the greatest scifi & the greatest scifi horror film of all time in my opinion.In fact Pandorum (2009) - IMDb is a bit older than this but I found it a bit better than Life.

sohan_92

In the zone
I haven't watched Alien movie but will. Unlike Life (2017), Pandorum (2009) has struggled and happy ending.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you haven't watched Alien then you haven't watched anything in scifi horror genre.:) See Alien & its sequel Aliens.You can skip Alien 3 & Alien 4 but they are also watchable though nothing compared to 1st & 2nd part.Pandorum did not exactly have a happy ending
unless you meant "happy ending for main couple"(earth gone,out of 60000 last humans only 1213 survives).

sohan_92

In the zone
Pandorum did not exactly have a happy ending
unless you meant "happy ending for main couple"(earth gone,out of 60000 last humans only 1213 survives).
That's why told struggled and happy ending.
At least main characters are much alive in the end.

OP
Ronnie012

Ronnie012

Earthling
Yeah,that one is alright but if you ask me Captain Vyom is 10 times better than Mr.India.
Yes but Captain Vyom is series Mr. India is movies. Also if you consider its eespesal affakts back in those days, it'd surely be a mind boggling experience for folks of that time period.
I mean Anil Kapoor turning invisible.Which Indian actor does that? :D

Mr. India added

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes but I thought anybody who is even remotely interested in bollywood scifi has already seen Mr.India so thought of mentioning Captain Vyom which is not as much known.

OP
Ronnie012

Ronnie012

Earthling
Yes but I thought anybody who is even remotely interested in bollywood scifi has already seen Mr.India so thought of mentioning Captain Vyom which is not as much known.
Yes you are right. Even I am a great fan of Captain Vyom. Featuring Milind Soman in the lead role. Who would have thought Milind Soman? Kinda sad he could've outdone many established bollywood heroes. Also the series didn't last long. I guess they should have featured a saas-bahu duo or some bollywood masalas or introduced some Babas to have it running :D

Top Bottom