Installing Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyasram

The pWnster
I have a pc with amd 3000+ 939, Asus nforce 4 ultra a8n-e mobo. 160gb sata . My problem is win 98 just doesn't run. it installs properly, it also shows the boot screen , but then nothing happens , the startup screen remains stagnant . my vendor said my hardware does'nt support win 98. Is there anyway I can use win 98 .

Also no linux distro detects my hdd , are there any updates that will make them detect a sata drive . Also please suggest me a distro which supports sata (free linux if any) and their legal iso links

Tech&ME

Banned
puja399 said:
Win 98 will not run on Neo4 chipsets. At least Win2K, best is XP.
For linux ISOs, visit www.linuxiso.org.

What is Neo4 chipsets ? :lol: --- Neo4 is the name of the board from MSI.

The board he is talking about is an Asus A8N-E Motherboard ( Socket
939, nForce4 Ultra)

So, nForce4 Ultra chipset does not support win 98 ! :wink:

mohit

The Hardware Labs
yup win 98 will not run on nforce 4 chipsets as well as 915/925/945/955/975 chipsets for intel. in other words win 98 will soon be extinct.

OP
Vyasram

Vyasram

The pWnster
In that case , is there any good emulator that will run programs that will run only in win 98 . I have tried changing the compatibility modes in properties , but they never work

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Vyasram said:
In that case , is there any good emulator that will run programs that will run only in win 98 . I have tried changing the compatibility modes in properties , but they never work

You can look for alternative programs and updated versions of the programs that you own........... If you have problems finding such programs, please PM me.............. I may help you out with the programs that you want......... And if you mean games, then *www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/games/expert/durham_og.mspx may help

Other helpful links:
*www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/appcompat.mspx
*www.dosgames.com/xphints.php
*www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-4897.html

D

Deleted member 5901

win 98 will not do so !!! Coz it was made 7- 8yrs ago When microsoft never Thought about x86-64 !!!

So thats y there is no Chance of it running !!!

But u can use it by installing VIRTUAL MACHINE !!!

Cheers !!!

sakumar79

Technomancer
King_Niral said:
win 98 will not do so !!! Coz it was made 7- 8yrs ago When microsoft never Thought about x86-64 !!!

So thats y there is no Chance of it running !!!

But u can use it by installing VIRTUAL MACHINE !!!

Cheers !!!

By Virtual Machine, I think you mean software like VirtualPC. I dont think installing it will help because you will need to create a virtual Win98 OS installation and for that, you will need drivers...

Please correct me if I am wrong.

@Vyasram: What programs are you trying to run with Win98 compatibility? If you list specific app, it might be possible to find workaround to get it running in XP itself... For example, if my memory serves me right, Need For Speed 4 did not work in XP, but a patch was available to fix it....

Arun

D

Deleted member 5901

hey i guess ur right !!! even if a virtual envioronment i created it would be tuff 2 get win 98 to run on it !!! Coz the hardware is the same !!! I dunno if the Software changes and emulates the hardware tooo !!!

Neway would love to know about the Workaround !!!

Cheers !!

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
As far as your SATA drive is concerned =>
1. Lindows
2. Red Hat
3. Mandrake

All three of them support SATA drives without any drivers as I have tried them on my PC which has SATA drive !!!

For the ISO's serch them on google !!!

OP
Vyasram

Vyasram

The pWnster
rachitboom2 said:
Vyasram said:
thanks for your advice ,

does suse 9.1 support sata

Sorry dude but I havent tried suse since I installed my new drive !!!

I Hope digit bundles up suse 10 in jan06

Also plz suggest me a good virtual machine (free)

dIgItaL_BrAt

Cyborg Agent
check out this page for virtual machines-->*www.thefreecountry.com/emulators/pc.shtml

This looks like your best bet---->Bochs IA-32 Emulation Project

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
virtualization helps older programs run on newer softwares thats it...

so the bottom line is u cannot run win-98 on ur system !!! :x :x :x :x

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
vijay_7287 said:
virtualization helps older programs run on newer softwares thats it...

so the bottom line is u cannot run win-98 on ur system !!! :x :x :x :x

Newer or old hardly matters, it will never run on this hardware !!!

dIgItaL_BrAt

Cyborg Agent
rachitboom2 said:
Virtual machines wouldn't be able to help you !!!

The hardware is the same !!!

virtual machines create virtual hardware too.My creative soundcard duznt work with Win98 when installed on my system but works perfectly in Win98 installed in a virtual macine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom