Installing Wi-fi at my home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huzefa

Journeyman
WIFI is a gr8 system to use at home... though the Q I have is how do I transfer files using WIFI ? My desktop runs WinXP and m laptop runs WinVista

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
You can have a look here for router specifications (more CPU speed, RAM, Flash is better :D)

And yes, you can share files and play games using wifi without having internet. Wifi is just like regular LAN, only wireless :)

Oh and if you want more range (about 3 times more), go for Draft N Series routers, would cost upwards of 5k. But you need a N Series capable wifi card/laptop for it to work in N mode.

rohanisbusy

for e-waste use SHIFT+DEL
hi hufeza ur having problems with transfer of files from vista to xp but it wont be occuring if ur trying to access from vista.....................
pm me ill let uiu know u have to authorize some privacy settings to communicate with bot of each other its possible need not worry.....

ECKo ................
yyes u can play games on wi fi but try only playing games with less show fuiltering on a lan play....

OP
victor_rambo

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Ok, here is an update!

I have not bought the router yet, but will buy in a week or so!

I inquired here, the price starts from about Rs. 1850(Netgear) to 2000 for Linksys and other systems.

I have a few doubts again:
1. Can I limit the speed at which they download from the internet. I don't want a user hogging all bandwidth.
2. I have a laptop(with WLAN card) and an old PC with wired LAN card. Now do I have to buy a WLAN card for old PC too? Or will a straight cable connect router to old PC?

Thank you.

BTW I may go to Lamington Road(most famous electronic market in Mumbai) with Coolg5. Lets see if we get a better deal there! :)

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
1. You can, with dd-wrt i think.
2. You can connect the PC to the router via a straight LAN cable.

OP
victor_rambo

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Thanks Kalpik.

but will dd-wrt work on Windows Vista Home Basic?
I have a WinVista HB laptop and a desktop(WinXP pro sp2 and Ubuntu).
I plan to connect the old desktop to the router via a ethernet cable, and laptop to router shall be wireless.

Will it be possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom