Installing Multiple CD Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

darnee

Broken In
Recently my DVD Rom drive stopped writing CD's. It's not a software problem as I have tried writing using Nero 7, CDBurner XP, Windows inbuilt and Ashampoo Burning Studio. Basically that's not the problem. It stopped writing Rewritable CD's long ago and now it has stopped writing altogether.

I am lucky enough to get hold of a slighlt old CD-RW drive. Now my question is how can I install this CD drive to my computer. I don't want to replace my existing DVD Rom as this one dosen't having DVD reading capabilities. I want to have both these drives working simultaneously. I have opened my Cabinet and checked that I have one slot in data cable and in the wire that comes from the SMPS (whatever you call that). I just want to know whether I have enough power input to run these two drives simultaneously. Also what are the other factors I have to take care of?

Note: I have recently removed my floppy drive and internal modem (dial up). I don't know if this makes any difference but just for the information I am telling this.

Thanks in advance.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
First I need to know if this new drive is SATA?

Assuming from ur statement, it seems its IDE drive. I guess, ur DVD writer is also IDE drive.

If u happen to have only one Data cable then one end is in MOBO, other two ends might be in DVD drive and HDD respectively.

If u happen to have a separate data cable for HDD and DVD drive, then u are left with two independent slots from both the cables.

If the above is the case then plug in any empty slot of any of the data cables to ur new CD writer. But remember to check the already plugged in device's jumper settings.
If the present device is in master mode (most probably it is) then change the new device's jumper settings to slave or vice-versa.

OP
darnee

darnee

Broken In
First of all thanks for reply.

Honestly I don't know a thing about this SATA and IDE drive. If you tell me how to find out I'll tell you.
Also how to check jumper settings and change it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom